Hey!

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Tabatha

Hey!

Post by Tabatha » Sat, 22 May 2010 1:16 am

Hi Everybody

I'm moving with my family to Singapore on 19th July. Although the employer puts us up for 10 days in a hotel whilst we search for accommodation, I'm getting quite anxious about the whole initial experience especially as we have a three year old. Our shipped goods will not appear for at least six-12 weeks and as we will be settling for unfurnished I'm not sure how we are going to survive in 'no stuff at all' limbo!! :)

Any tips or help would be so massively appreciated. Both my fiancee and I have lived abroad as children but we have never moved abroad as adults. So we are pretty novice.

Thanks so much

Tabatha (Tabby) x

woodsdevil

Post by woodsdevil » Sat, 22 May 2010 8:51 am

Hi,

With your shipment (which I assumed you are shipping all ur furniture etc)
arriving so much later,
you have 2 options, one to rent a Service Apartment for 2-3 mths during which time you search for your permanent home, arranging to move in once your shipment arrives
or you find your permanent home within 10 days you are in a hotel, but arrange to rent some furniture (which is what we did)...it costs around 1000SGD onwards depending how much furniture you are renting.

Hope that helps.

Tabatha

Very Helpful

Post by Tabatha » Sat, 22 May 2010 2:56 pm

That is extremely helpful. Thank you so much.

lou36e

Post by lou36e » Sat, 22 May 2010 4:01 pm

Hi
Does your future employer offer any additional support. When we arrived, we spent 10 days in a hotel too and the employer offered for us to stay on at their corporate rate if needed.

Tabatha

Post by Tabatha » Sat, 22 May 2010 4:35 pm

Hi! Yes, I believe that's the case for us too. I think I'm panicking a bit about money. The shipping outlay (although we receive it back) is quite substantial. I'm sure it will all go smoothly. After all, we are not the first, and surely, not the last :)

lou36e

Post by lou36e » Sat, 22 May 2010 7:43 pm

Who are you going to work for Tabatha? It just sounds quite similar to when we arrived.

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by DimWit Kid » Sun, 23 May 2010 2:06 pm

10 days sounds very short.

when i first came it was 3 months on serviced apt. then a few years ago i heard 1 month. now it's 10 days?? wow.

anyway, it depends on the total package I guess. Just go for the serviced apt. if you don't want any hassle, rent on month by month and hopefully there's a "company rate" as they're now peaking at a high level...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 23 May 2010 2:33 pm

Depends on the company. I had 10 days almost a decade ago. It was enough in my case.

FlyingScotsman

Re: Hey!

Post by FlyingScotsman » Wed, 09 Jun 2010 3:36 pm

Tabatha wrote:Hi Everybody

I'm moving with my family to Singapore on 19th July. Although the employer puts us up for 10 days in a hotel whilst we search for accommodation, I'm getting quite anxious about the whole initial experience especially as we have a three year old. Our shipped goods will not appear for at least six-12 weeks and as we will be settling for unfurnished I'm not sure how we are going to survive in 'no stuff at all' limbo!! :)

Any tips or help would be so massively appreciated. Both my fiancee and I have lived abroad as children but we have never moved abroad as adults. So we are pretty novice.

Thanks so much

Tabatha (Tabby) x
Hiya Tabitha. When we moved over here we sent our things in advance and had a harder time at home before we left, so that our belongings arrived just as we left the hotel. It was really easier to call on friends we had at home than to be rattling about an empty apartment in a new country:) If you get stuck just pm me and we can try to help you out with moral support and anything practical :)..been here almost 6 years now and we know one or two people already :)
Hey ho...