Singapore Expats Forum

re-applying for singaporean citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
llwk1990

re-applying for singaporean citizenship

Postby llwk1990 » Wed, 19 May 2010 11:22 pm

Hey guys, need your help with this one.

Okay, a bit about my background first. I was born outside of Singapore, but because my parents were Singaporean, I acquired a Singaporean citizenship (by descent). My family left Singapore at the age of 3, travelled around before migrating to Australia, so I never got to really experience the 'socio-economic benefits' of Singapore.

I'm going to turn 21 next year, and I've decided to renounce my Singaporean citizenship and keep my Australian one (I think in my current situation, I don't have to do National Service). My questions are:

1) In the future, will I be able to re-apply for another PR/citizenship, in order to work and live in Singapore?

2) If yes, do I have to do NS? If not, wouldn't that mean I've sorta 'skipped' NS in that regard?

I've heard differing views to the first question. My parents and a few of my Singaporean friends have told me that it is near impossible to re-apply for another Singaporean citizenship. On the other hand, the website below states that I shouldn't have any extra problems from previously giving up my citizenship, and that I'll be treated like any other foreigner when trying to get my PR/citizenship:

http://www.guidemesingapore.com/singapo ... enship.htm

Not to mention with my somewhat unique background (being a Singaporean citizen by descent, and having left Singapore at the age of 3), I don't think I would immediately be rejected when attempting to re-apply, right?

Please reply as soon as possible. Thank you.

- Leon

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby merichan » Wed, 19 May 2010 11:45 pm

Read the others threads on the forum ( in strictly speaking)

In essence they say ( given that you followed the deferment of NS pending renounciation procedure to the T, if it's not the case you're in much deeper problems)

-if you renounce after having done your NS you have a good chance of being able to get a EP and maybe a PR

-if you renounce without having done your NS... dream on... you'll never get in Singapore other than for visiting

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: re-applying for singaporean citizenship

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 24 May 2010 8:54 am

llwk1990 wrote:Hey guys, need your help with this one.

I'm going to turn 21 next year, and I've decided to renounce my Singaporean citizenship and keep my Australian one (I think in my current situation, I don't have to do National Service).

What makes you so sure that you do not do NS ? You will lose your SG citizenship automatically if you do NOT pledge Oath of Allegiance when you turn 21

My questions are:

1) In the future, will I be able to re-apply for another PR/citizenship, in order to work and live in Singapore?

No, you are NOT allowed. Nadda, Nought , Zilch , Nein, nehi,

2) If yes, do I have to do NS? If not, wouldn't that mean I've sorta 'skipped' NS in that regard?

DO the NS then you renounce and able to come back to work in SG

I've heard differing views to the first question. My parents and a few of my Singaporean friends have told me that it is near impossible to re-apply for another Singaporean citizenship.

Correct

On the other hand, the website below states that I shouldn't have any extra problems from previously giving up my citizenship, and that I'll be treated like any other foreigner when trying to get my PR/citizenship:

PR is a complete waste of time, EP is near impossible, Q1, P1 and WP these treble will be absolute impassable BUT SOCIAL VISIT is Definitely Questionable

http://www.guidemesingapore.com/singapo ... enship.htm

Wrong website should go to ica.gov.sg

Not to mention with my somewhat unique background (being a Singaporean citizen by descent, and having left Singapore at the age of 3), I don't think I would immediately be rejected when attempting to re-apply, right?

What makes you so sure that you are unique. There are thousands of you with the same predicament

Read this

Overview
Minors who are Singapore Citizens by descent/registration must take the Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance and Loyalty within 12 months on attaining the age of 21 years to remain as Singapore Citizens.

If the Oath is not taken, he/she will automatically lose his/her citizenship on attaining the age of 22 years.

Failure to take the Oath and the consequences
If one fails to take the Oath within 12 months on attaining the age of 21 years, he/she will automatically lose his/her citizenship on attaining the age of 22 years and there is no assurance that he/she can continue studying, working or residing in Singapore as a foreigner on any form of student pass, work pass, social visit pass or as a permanent resident.

Eligibility
Minors who are Singapore Citizens by descent or registration must take the Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance and Loyalty upon attaining 21 years of age and before attaining 22 years of age.

- Leon
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

gccc

Contact for similar situation

Postby gccc » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 9:27 pm

Message to Mad Scientist,

I have a similar situation coming up, and I need info/guidance on this.
I am currently in Singapore for a few days and would like to contact you, so if you can PM me, and I can reply to you with a contact number as I can't seem to PM yet.

Hope to hear from you. Many thanks...........

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Re: Contact for similar situation

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 10:50 pm

gccc wrote:Message to Mad Scientist,

I am currently in Singapore for a few days and would like to contact you, so if you can PM me, and I can reply to you with a contact number as I can't seem to PM yet.

You can PM after you post 5 posts in the forum.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 11:28 pm

fyi, mad scientist is not based in singapore...unless i'm horribly mistaken.

gccc

Postby gccc » Thu, 02 Sep 2010 1:14 am

singaporeflyer wrote:You can PM after you post 5 posts in the forum.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this....

gccc

Postby gccc » Thu, 02 Sep 2010 1:17 am

nakatago wrote:fyi, mad scientist is not based in singapore...unless i'm horribly mistaken.

OK, still good to make contact. I hope he PMs me, or I can PM him so that I can get some directions with regards to my scenario....

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 02 Sep 2010 2:15 am

nakatago wrote:fyi, mad scientist is not based in singapore...unless i'm horribly mistaken.

Domo Nakasan. Yes and NO, I am still a Sger but I am not here at this moment. . I am based in my new office in Europe till end of this year as this is the only job my company can give to a retired man, I hope until I can get all the system running by end of this year.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 02 Sep 2010 2:20 am

gccc wrote:Message to Mad Scientist,

Ah.......you rang ??? Yes got PM but now still on fishing trip ?
Need help ? Either open post or PM but must come clean as I am not a mind reader. Too many forumers send post or PM with bits and pieces of info which very hard to decipher and give advise.
I will reply the soonest I reach shore.

LD

Postby LD » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:13 pm

Edit: - Removed -, Thanks.
Last edited by LD on Sun, 05 Dec 2010 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby FaeLLe » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 9:14 pm

LD wrote:Hi fella's,

I was doing a search on how to re-obtain a Singaporean Citizenship and this post came up. I'm sorry if I am not supposed to bump (I havent had the chance to read the rules.. but this is important to me).

Well, a little info about my situation.

I was born a Singaporean in Singapore, following my mother who is Singaporean. After 6 months old I left, follow my parents. My father is Malaysian, who served the British Army at the time.

When I was 14 I returned to Singapore due to the enlistment act. Where I stayed for 5 years. I applied for early enlistment after my 'N' Levels. This was the 1st time I had been in Singapore for such a long period. My parents, whom only wanted to do what was right for me (whether or not it was.. is not the issue) pushed me for a Malaysian Citizenship to continue my studies because my NS was still delayed, for roughly 2 years after my 'O' Levels. My Malaysian Citizenship and a position for university came b4, NS (because there was no official date or I was just young and naive).

I have since completed my studies(23) and worked. I am now 24 and I would like to regain my old citizenship and would like to do NS (I feel like everyone should do NS) and I am sure my parents only did what they though was right for my future - considering we did not know much about the legal system and how it is run and dealt with.

I went through with renouncing my citizenship, because at the time it was all still fun and games, I was still a student and I was carefree. Now I would like to reclaim my citizenship and set a direct future for myself (this being my own decision without any influences). Is there any possible way for this to have a good outcome?

Thank you so much for any helpful replies. (fyi, i've also just emailed the CMPB).

Your parents did what they thought was right but they screwed over your changes of ever becoming Singaporean....... you can BOLAY now :D

LD

Postby LD » Tue, 23 Nov 2010 1:28 am

So I can't do anything?

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Tue, 23 Nov 2010 11:48 am

LD wrote:So I can't do anything?

From what I've read once you give up Singapore citizenship, so you've got no chance of working in Singapore again

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby FaeLLe » Tue, 23 Nov 2010 5:13 pm

LD wrote:So I can't do anything?

Time to move on buddy unless you write a long hard sob request to ICA & CMPB and tell them of how you think your parents were selfish and not acting in your interest and forced you to move out of the country because you were dependent on them.

You could also express intent to serve as a full time armyman.
I know the Air force is looking big time for people to join them!