Singapore Expats Forum

homeschooling for a teenager

Discuss various schooling options for your children here.
jdman26
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed, 19 May 2010

homeschooling for a teenager

Postby jdman26 » Wed, 19 May 2010 12:44 am

hello, my son is currently suffering from deep deppression & anxiety & is always thinking of suicide. he developed this problem when he was posted in his sec school this year, he was not able to go to his primary friends' sec school so he started not coming to school. he cant socialize with his sec school friends & also his 2 years older than them, which makes him a sec 3 in our country, philippines but he was late in education here in sg for 2 years. he was already counselled and disciplined. before his school's term 1 ended he was not skipping school anymore until after his mye examinations, he said he was able to do well but recently their class had a post exam activity but he didnt turned up. he got 0 for exams, this made him more deppress & angry, he knows that it is his fault. we also cant send him back to our country because were PR & he has to go NS, we have to pay that $75k and cancel his pr & send him back to ph. were currently thinking of homeschooling for him for this year until he can or able to transfer to a new school next year.

thanks best regards

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3447
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 19 May 2010 9:15 am

Sad to hear that

Try this link for help

http://selectivemutism.homestead.com/fi ... __2003.htm

OR SOS Singapore . they can point you to the right direction

and this is for MOE
http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/program ... unselling/

DO not worry about NS, collect all info on your son behavioural problems. HAve it DOCUMENTED AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE including the visit to a "shrink".
When he turns 16 soon and needs to register for NS, have all this info passed to CMPB. 80% chances he will not do NS. 20% tolerance if he is not what he is based on NS doctors at CPC

This much I know

Let me know if you need more help

MS
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

jdman26
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed, 19 May 2010

Postby jdman26 » Wed, 19 May 2010 2:20 pm

is it possible to drop him out this school year & homeschool him? because i dont think transferring to another school is not a good option at this time.

& thanks for the answer.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3447
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 19 May 2010 3:18 pm

jdman26 wrote:is it possible to drop him out this school year & homeschool him? because i dont think transferring to another school is not a good option at this time.

& thanks for the answer.


Don't quote me on this but to my knowledge SG education system recognise only formal education system of child of the age 6 to 16. It does not allow homeschooling . This is not like US , Europe , OZ and NZ whereby homeschooling is recognised
That is the reason I asked you to got to the MOE link.
Communicate with them on your problems, they will advise you .
If your child does not have formal education at school , he will have problems in later life in term of work etc.....
SG Education system is a streamline basis whereby you have to fall into either one of the category

Make sense to you

MS
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007

Re: homeschooling for a teenager

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 21 May 2010 10:07 pm

jdman26 wrote:hello, my son is currently suffering from deep deppression & anxiety & is always thinking of suicide. he developed this problem when he was posted in his sec school this year, he was not able to go to his primary friends' sec school so he started not coming to school. he cant socialize with his sec school friends & also his 2 years older than them, which makes him a sec 3 in our country, philippines but he was late in education here in sg for 2 years. he was already counselled and disciplined. before his school's term 1 ended he was not skipping school anymore until after his mye examinations, he said he was able to do well but recently their class had a post exam activity but he didnt turned up. he got 0 for exams, this made him more deppress & angry, he knows that it is his fault. we also cant send him back to our country because were PR & he has to go NS, we have to pay that $75k and cancel his pr & send him back to ph. were currently thinking of homeschooling for him for this year until he can or able to transfer to a new school next year.

thanks best regards


Boy, do you ever have your hands full. I don't envy you, you are in a tight jam. First impressions:

Is he getting the help he needs? Proper, wonderful, reliable psychiatric help? If he is depressed to that degree, he needs it.

All of that stuff about school might be adding to the problem, but in my experience ~ the depression is the underlying issue, not the fact that his friends are at another school. If he wasn't depressed, he would be fine with the transition & make new friends at the new school.

Look into online high schools, instead of outright homeschooling, many are accredited and academically rigorous.

Good luck to you :console:

User avatar
Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon, 07 Mar 2005
Location: Still looking for Paradise

Postby Global Citizen » Sat, 22 May 2010 8:46 am

JD, both posters above have given you valid advice. I just wanted to say as one parent to another, I feel for you. There is nothing more traumatising for a parent than their child suffering. My thoughts are with you and I wish and hope everything works out eventually.
One man's meat is another's poison.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Education & Enrichment Courses for Children”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests