Singapore Expats Forum

Can't culture

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

KittyJules76
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed, 28 Apr 2010
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby KittyJules76 » Wed, 19 May 2010 2:14 pm

Well my new assistant says just the opposite. Everytime I say something to her, she says "can lah, no problem" and end up doing wrong or doing nothing. :-|

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 19 May 2010 5:20 pm

So you see Macaroonie, this is really a problem and you should appreciate your co-workers for being so honest with you. Yeah, I am a bit sarcastic but at least you do not waste your time. I have really problems with ppl saying yes first investing mine time to introduce them to a project just to discover few months later they never actually intended to commit to their duties and they knew it right from the start.

local lad
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue, 13 Sep 2005

Postby local lad » Wed, 19 May 2010 6:32 pm

My company employed a new guy last week. My supervisor asked whether he was able to do such and such and he told him , with full conviction ' No problem! ' . Hence, my supervisor passed the job to him. He proceed to do it without asking more. Yesterday, when my supervisor asked for status and he showed my sup what he had done. A shock of his life. My sup was in total fits as the job was totally done wrongly. Needless to say, the deadline is tomorrow ( which explained the fits ) and he had to redo everything and my sup had to keep a close eye at his work.

:mad:

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Wed, 19 May 2010 10:21 pm

My local cafe!

Yes sir what would you like......

"Mmm I want sweet and sour fish no rice. I want Frech fries in stead..... Cannot lah, see menu fish comes with rice.....

I don't want rice, I want fries, just deduct the price of the rice and give me the 2$ fries....cannot lah! How much is extra rice? Cannot have extra rice, only Sweet & sour fish with rice must have fish.

You pay full price no rice okay lah! 15 minutes of frustration and I gave up! The fries were a side dish!

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10417
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 20 May 2010 12:26 am

ksl wrote:My local cafe!

Yes sir what would you like......

"Mmm I want sweet and sour fish no rice. I want Frech fries in stead..... Cannot lah, see menu fish comes with rice.....

I don't want rice, I want fries, just deduct the price of the rice and give me the 2$ fries....cannot lah! How much is extra rice? Cannot have extra rice, only Sweet & sour fish with rice must have fish.

You pay full price no rice okay lah! 15 minutes of frustration and I gave up! The fries were a side dish!


Wife and I ate at a hawker center in Plaza Singapura. She wants chocolate ice cream. Only picture of chocolate is on a banana split. Wait person would sell a cup of vanilla but not a cup of chocolate as it only comes with the banana. Big tub of both flavors right in front of her.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Thu, 20 May 2010 3:55 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
ksl wrote:My local cafe!

Yes sir what would you like......

"Mmm I want sweet and sour fish no rice. I want Frech fries in stead..... Cannot lah, see menu fish comes with rice.....

I don't want rice, I want fries, just deduct the price of the rice and give me the 2$ fries....cannot lah! How much is extra rice? Cannot have extra rice, only Sweet & sour fish with rice must have fish.

You pay full price no rice okay lah! 15 minutes of frustration and I gave up! The fries were a side dish!


Wife and I ate at a hawker center in Plaza Singapura. She wants chocolate ice cream. Only picture of chocolate is on a banana split. Wait person would sell a cup of vanilla but not a cup of chocolate as it only comes with the banana. Big tub of both flavors right in front of her.
Inflexibility has its cost! :)

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 20 May 2010 4:10 pm

ksl wrote:"Mmm I want sweet and sour fish no rice. I want Frech fries in stead..... Cannot lah, see menu fish comes with rice.....

I don't want rice, I want fries, just deduct the price of the rice and give me the 2$ fries....cannot lah! How much is extra rice? Cannot have extra rice, only Sweet & sour fish with rice must have fish.


Strong Eagle wrote:Wife and I ate at a hawker center in Plaza Singapura. She wants chocolate ice cream. Only picture of chocolate is on a banana split. Wait person would sell a cup of vanilla but not a cup of chocolate as it only comes with the banana. Big tub of both flavors right in front of her.


Image

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 21 May 2010 9:20 am

earthfriendly wrote:LKY had commented how he admired the can do attitudes of Americans and wished Singaporeans were the same way. What should one expect of citizens brought up in a nanny state? Is this a chicken or egg problem?


. . . and look where that 'Can do' attitude has led them. :?


One of the things I have often found disturbing about many Americans in business is that the 'can Do' attitude is hollow . . . a load of hype.


I'd rather have someone tell me 'cannot' than like in Thailand where everything is Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa or Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap and then it isn't.

As for Boleh-land . . . The Chinese will say 'can' and try to figure out a way to do it and rip you off . . . the Malays will say they can do it ten times bigger, refer you to their 'old friend', expect to get paid for their 'work' and nothing ever happens . . . Indians will usually tell you if it is possible or not.
......................................................

'nuff said Image

missis
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: Holland Road/6th Ave

Postby missis » Fri, 21 May 2010 11:06 am

nakatago wrote:
ksl wrote:"Mmm I want sweet and sour fish no rice. I want Frech fries in stead..... Cannot lah, see menu fish comes with rice.....

I don't want rice, I want fries, just deduct the price of the rice and give me the 2$ fries....cannot lah! How much is extra rice? Cannot have extra rice, only Sweet & sour fish with rice must have fish.


Strong Eagle wrote:Wife and I ate at a hawker center in Plaza Singapura. She wants chocolate ice cream. Only picture of chocolate is on a banana split. Wait person would sell a cup of vanilla but not a cup of chocolate as it only comes with the banana. Big tub of both flavors right in front of her.


Image


Used to happen a lot in Tokyo too. Things like: I wanted a vodka and tonic. The bar menu had Moscow Mule (vodka & ginger ale) and Gin and tonic. The staff refused to serve a vodka and tonic - "not available." Should add that the drinks were not ready-mixed, there was a bottle of vodka and the tonic came out of one of those nozzle things. And stuff like the rice example from Strong Eagle - even if you said forget the price just give me without rice they would still serve it all up! And this wasn't a language thing, I speak Japanese.
Last edited by missis on Fri, 21 May 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Fri, 21 May 2010 11:44 am

It all depends on the "default" setting that people have. For some it's "yes" and for others it's "no".

Some actively and strenuously look for every reason to say "cannot" before they can utter "can".

Whereas others are inclined to say "can" unless something gets in their way.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest