Singapore Expats Forum

Can't culture

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Can't culture

Postby macaroonie » Tue, 18 May 2010 5:43 pm

:???: :???:

I am so amazed with the number of people who so quickly say CAN"T - can't do this, can't do that, this won't work, no one will follow that, it can't be done this way... WHY!?

Whatever happened to ingenuity? finding ways to CAN scenarios, finding possible solutions, doing some research before giving up the ghost! giving things a go, a chance before resigning to "it can't be done..."

Why such a defeatist attitude? I thought the locals should have backbones of steal and ridiculous determination to be able to build up this country... but day in and day out it's CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T... sigh!

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 18 May 2010 5:49 pm

you have it all wrong. it's "cannot, cannot, cannot! [lah]"

and about the ingenuity, creativity and initiative? a nanny doesn't exactly encourage those things. when someone tells you what to think, what to do, when and where to do it...

:(

...now, before someone goes up in arms, of course it's a generalization

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Tue, 18 May 2010 5:54 pm

I CAN'T understand why you are so frustrated???? :lol:
Just me

DazzleBabe

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Tue, 18 May 2010 5:54 pm

The locals will keep saying it unless the subject is something they are passionate about. :roll:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 May 2010 6:00 pm

Which as everybody knows is only two things. Shopping and eating.

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby macaroonie » Tue, 18 May 2010 6:03 pm

I can hire a parrot to tell me CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T the whole day long... :(

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Tue, 18 May 2010 6:04 pm

macaroonie wrote:I can hire a parrot to tell me CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T the whole day long... :(

Might just be a swearing parrot!
Just me

DazzleBabe

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Tue, 18 May 2010 6:25 pm

My favourite is no stocklah for retailers :wink:

x9200

Postby x9200 » Tue, 18 May 2010 6:35 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Which as everybody knows is only two things. Shopping and eating.

Watching TV-screens excluded!? :shock:

x9200

Re: Can't culture

Postby x9200 » Tue, 18 May 2010 6:37 pm

macaroonie wrote::???: :???:
Why such a defeatist attitude? I thought the locals should have backbones of steal and ridiculous determination to be able to build up this country... but day in and day out it's CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T... sigh!

Girl, you are so lucky. Typically it is can can and then nothing happens except lame excuses.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Tue, 18 May 2010 7:27 pm

if you go to malaysia, then it is BOLEH all the way. :D :)

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Tue, 18 May 2010 8:55 pm

macaroonie wrote::???: :???:

I am so amazed with the number of people who so quickly say CAN"T - can't do this, can't do that, this won't work, no one will follow that, it can't be done this way... WHY!?

Whatever happened to ingenuity? finding ways to CAN scenarios, finding possible solutions, doing some research before giving up the ghost! giving things a go, a chance before resigning to "it can't be done..."

I cannot say that I've noticed this. Yeah sure I've heard lots of "cannot lah" but equally when I've thought something wasn't available or couldn't be done, I've heard lots of "can lah".
Admittedly there is a huge issue with locals not being able to think outside the square so I guess that this in itself is related to your assertion. Yeah there's sometimes a 'black and white' view of things with no 'shade of grey' in between........
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Wed, 19 May 2010 2:22 am

LKY had commented how he admired the can do attitudes of Americans and wished Singaporeans were the same way. What should one expect of citizens brought up in a nanny state? Is this a chicken or egg problem?

februus
Regular
Regular

Postby februus » Wed, 19 May 2010 7:44 am

x9200 wrote:Girl, you are so lucky. Typically it is can can and then nothing happens except lame excuses.

i had exactly this conversation yesterday

"please stop telling me you are going to do things you have no intention of doing, just tell me what will stop you, why you can't etc so we can work together to find a solution"

"can can"

](*,)

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby macaroonie » Wed, 19 May 2010 9:03 am

I don't mind if things can't truly be done a certain way, but then go and find what way it can be done! Not just CAN"T, CAN NOT....and leave it at that!

:roll: