Singapore Expats

an urgent & very tricky situation here..help needed!

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
nejihyuuga

an urgent & very tricky situation here..help needed!

Post by nejihyuuga » Tue, 18 May 2010 3:04 pm

hi all, i'm a singaporean and got a very tricky situation at hand and do not know who to turn to. here goes:

my wife-to-be is an ex s-pass holder, we are planning to get married in singapore. the tricky part is, she got caught for working illegally. but MOM did not cancel her s-pass, on another hand, it's her employer that cancel her s-pass for her. on cancellation, she was given a one month visit pass from MOM. and a letter stating that she was given a stern warning and one year ban from applying passes. but the officer at MOM told her that she can enter singapore anytime by applying entry pass.

i tried to apply a entry pass to her on the spouse-to-be status but was rejected as i didnt manage to provide intended date of marriage and did not file notice of marriage in singapore. i'm currently in china with her and my visa will end on the 28th may 2010 here. i'm appealing against the visa rejected and ICA had replied asking me to ask me to provide documentary evidence for marriage. while here we are also planning to register our marriage here.

my questions!
1. if my appeal goes through, do i need to get permission from MOM before registering the marriage in singapore.
2. if after marriage, can i apply the LTSVP for her?
3. if i register the marriage in china, can i write in to ICA for LTSVP straight away without registering marriage in singapore.
4. please advice me on what to do as i'm really lost!!?

thank you all..all comments and help given are greatly appreciated.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 18 May 2010 4:45 pm

one year ban from applying passes
This says it all, married or not!

You should check with immigration first, and get it in writing, that she can stay in Singapore if married.

Do not marry first in China, request permission in Singapore and sort the issue out, otherwise she may still get 1 year ban.

nejihyuuga

Post by nejihyuuga » Tue, 18 May 2010 7:44 pm

ksl wrote:
one year ban from applying passes
This says it all, married or not!

You should check with immigration first, and get it in writing, that she can stay in Singapore if married.

Do not marry first in China, request permission in Singapore and sort the issue out, otherwise she may still get 1 year ban.
hi, thank you for your help, mate! i should ask in writing first in case of anything. and also i've called up MOM this afternoon ask if there's a need for a permission from MOM. the officer told me that if she's no longer holding the s-pass then there's no need a permission from MOM. i read the letter about the one year ban, i'm thinking that it meant passes like WP, SP, EP so on and so for.

and also i read something like the In-principle approval and i don't know what it meant? anyone can enlighten me on anything else i can do to cope with my difficult situation?

NBB2

Post by NBB2 » Tue, 18 May 2010 8:37 pm

In-principle approval means that they granted you the pass/permit you applied for, but it's pending a few loose ends, such as a medical that needs to be passed.

I'm not an expert on the marriage thing, but I do know that a marriage here in Singapore (if the guy is Singaporean, rather than the other way around) pretty much cinches your wife's legal immigration status.

Having said that, it's never a good thing to be caught on the wrong side of the law. Still, my money is on you two being ok.

nejihyuuga

Post by nejihyuuga » Wed, 19 May 2010 11:03 am

thank you bro..there's one more update. i read the letter that was sent to her from MOM. here it goes:

1: In lieu of prosecution, we are issuing you a stern warning. if you are again found working without a valid work permit, prosecution action will be taken against you.

2: The controller of work passes also hereby exercise his powers under Section 7(4)(d) of the employment of foreign manpower act to debar you from applying or renewing work pass for a period of 12 months.

i had it wrongly. it's not ban from applying passes for 1 year but for work pass only. can the situation still be saved? i'm so anxious and worried right now and it's driving me crazy.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 May 2010 11:21 am

She is only barred from working in Singapore (applying for a WP, S, Q or P pass). There is nothing stopping her from applying for and getting an LTVP except maybe the fact that it might appear that it's now a marriage of convenience. It would be good to have the ceremony here but I see no real reason for any worry. The letter is pretty clear.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nejihyuuga

Post by nejihyuuga » Wed, 19 May 2010 6:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:She is only barred from working in Singapore (applying for a WP, S, Q or P pass). There is nothing stopping her from applying for and getting an LTVP except maybe the fact that it might appear that it's now a marriage of convenience. It would be good to have the ceremony here but I see no real reason for any worry. The letter is pretty clear.
thank you very much. so meaning they rejected the visa application because i didnt file notice of marriage right? meaning now, i have to go back to singapore and be resident for 15 days and then file a notice of marriage and reapply a new visa for my wife-to-be right?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 May 2010 12:25 am

I'm not sure why you are trying to bring her in on a spouse to be visa? You haven't registered at MOM yet correct? She should just be coming in on a tourist visa, do the ROM thing and then once you have that paperwork, submit for a LTVP for her. Unless I'm missing something here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nejihyuuga

Post by nejihyuuga » Thu, 20 May 2010 1:04 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'm not sure why you are trying to bring her in on a spouse to be visa? You haven't registered at MOM yet correct? She should just be coming in on a tourist visa, do the ROM thing and then once you have that paperwork, submit for a LTVP for her. Unless I'm missing something here.
i called MOM and the officer said there's no need permission needed from MOM as she's no longer holding S-pass. i choosed spouse-to-be because i input her on long stay and multiple journey. i'm not sure if normal entry visa allows that. it might be my mistake on this part.

also her case is pretty unique. as MOM didnt cancel her S-pass, her company did. is this considered deportation? and considered charged with court of law? need those inputs in reapplying the visa..thank you

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 May 2010 6:53 am

Are you saying that your gf was working on a S pass AND working somewhere else as well but illegally? (Like working nights in a restaurant?) When she was caught working illegally in the other job, the company holding her S pass canceled her S pass? If so, again, I don't see what the problem is unless there is something else with the case we are not aware of. It might be a good idea for you to return to Singapore and try to visit ICA and get an opinion from an officer there as it's a bit confusing for a forum without seeing all the documentation and history.

nejihyuuga

Post by nejihyuuga » Thu, 20 May 2010 6:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Are you saying that your gf was working on a S pass AND working somewhere else as well but illegally? (Like working nights in a restaurant?) When she was caught working illegally in the other job, the company holding her S pass canceled her S pass? If so, again, I don't see what the problem is unless there is something else with the case we are not aware of. It might be a good idea for you to return to Singapore and try to visit ICA and get an opinion from an officer there as it's a bit confusing for a forum without seeing all the documentation and history.
yes she's working on S pass and working somewhere else without permit. when she got caught, MOM wanted a letter from the company, and then MOM was suppose to cancel her S-pass for her and send her to ICA to get the one week social visit pass. but in her case, her boss cancelled her S-pass for her stating resignation, in the end i think MOM cant continue with the case. and for cancellation of S-pass by company she was given additional one month of visit pass.

so im unsure if she's consider deportation or something else? very confusing!

but best of choice should be making a trip to ICA to get an opinion from an officer i guess.