Singapore Expats Forum

Here for 3 months - can I leave SG and come back w/o prob?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

esuus

Here for 3 months - can I leave SG and come back w/o prob?

Postby esuus » Mon, 17 May 2010 5:35 pm

Hey Guys,
I'm currently in Singapore on a visit pass (for Tourists) for 3 months. In mid July I want to leave SG for 2 weeks, and then come back for 3 more weeks.

I have a German passport.

Do you think I may encounter any problem? Would they suspect me of leaving Singapore just to extend my stay here and therefore reject reentry?

Any bad experiences for holders of EU or similar passport when trying to re-enter Singapore?

Thanks for your help!
Esuus.

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Mon, 17 May 2010 6:43 pm

If you do it once, shouldnt be a problem, especially if you leave for 2 weeks.

People going to Malaysia for a few hours Visa run can be in some problems, but if you leave for 2 weeks, I think it's reasonable to go back after then.

Of course if you play this game too often, you might lose the game.

vozzie
Regular
Regular

Postby vozzie » Tue, 18 May 2010 5:34 pm

My neice just did a similar thing.

SIN for 1 week
Off to Malaysia for a week
Back to SIN for 1 week

No problems ....

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 May 2010 5:57 pm

Not yet anyway. Tread very carefully......

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 18 May 2010 6:13 pm

Apply for an extension of your visa online using the link below, far easier and safer option!

https://www.psi.gov.sg/NASApp/tmf/TMFSe ... elcomePage

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 19 May 2010 6:15 pm

When I first got here I did visa-runs of a couple of hours to Johore Bahru twice, so with my original entry at Changi ,adding up to 3 months of standard tourist entry stamps. No one batted an eyelid, not even a single eyelash...

Going away for 2 weeks would legitimise a visa run nicely.

Applying an e-extension is a nice idea, but surely any such extension would simply expire when you went off to Malaysia...

esuus

Postby esuus » Sat, 22 May 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks guys that was very very helpful!! Yeah I actually want both: Go on vacation for 2 weeks and stay in SG for a bit longer.

Do you think I need to have a Hotel confirmation or a friend's address to show at the airport?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 22 May 2010 4:00 pm

esuus wrote:Thanks guys that was very very helpful!! Yeah I actually want both: Go on vacation for 2 weeks and stay in SG for a bit longer.

Do you think I need to have a Hotel confirmation or a friend's address to show at the airport?

Well to cover your track is best to get a friend's address as ICA border control might wants to know where you are staying. Just in case they call to vouch you
You need $600 in cash at least to show you are self sustain.
It is all in the ica.gov.sg website. Read this for clearer picture

They are allowed entry into Singapore for 30 days automatically. However, they must meet these requirements or the length of stay may be shortened:

- validity of passport must be at least 6 months or longer

- must have cash of S$600 or equivalent in other currencies (to ensure visitor has sufficient means, just in case)

- must have return ticket

They must apply for a Social Visit Pass if they wish to stay longer than 30 days. Application forms may be obtained from:

SIR Building 4th storey Information/Queue Ticket Counter

Of course, if the visitor, before expiry of his 30-day visit pass, goes over to Johore Baru and then comes into Singapore again, that visitor will get a fresh 14 to 30-day visit pass.

Tourists who have come into Singapore and then gone over to visit Malaysia for a short while will get a 14-day tourist visa when they re-enter Singapore at the Johore checkpoint. If they need a longer-term tourist visa, they can explain their situation to the Immigration Officer at Johore checkpoint to try to obtain a longer-term tourist visa of up to 30 days. However, if the Immigration Officer is unwilling to grant such a visa, the tourist should:

1. first obtain the standard tourist visa of 14 days stay

2. visit Singapore Immigration & Registration (SIR) HQ at 10 Kallang Rd Singapore to get an extension. This should be done about 3 - 4 days before departure from Singapore. The tourist has to bring along a local sponsor. But, if the tourist has no local sponsor, he/she has to declare that fact to the Immigration Officer processing the extension. The whole process - from application to approval - takes only about two hours.

There is a fee of S$40 for any extension of pass accumulating to a period of 3 months or more from the date of entry and for every subsequent extension accumulating to 3 months or more. The issue of a visa is S$20, where applicable
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 22 May 2010 8:25 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:

- must have cash of S$600 or equivalent in other currencies (to ensure visitor has sufficient means, just in case)

I haven't been in the region for some time now so things may well have changed but do they actually ask?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 May 2010 9:14 pm

Not normally, but they retain the right to do so. Just like the requirement of getting a medical exam upon getting you work visa. They have the right to require it, but it doesn't mean that they always do it. Often it would depend on where you are arriving from.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Sat, 22 May 2010 9:38 pm

Plavt wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:

I haven't been in the region for some time now so things may well have changed but do they actually ask?

when i arrived in singapore via the budget terminal i saw some people showing their wallets and counting their money infront of the immigration officer. so just for good measure and also good if you have a credit card.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 23 May 2010 8:46 am

This practise although not regularly conducted is quite common in Oz. NZ and even US. The immigration officers will asked about your return ticket, how much money you have etc...
I have personally being asked in OZ and in LA when entering from SG on these line of questions
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!