Singapore Expats Forum

Is there something Fishy?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

germanguy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu, 28 Jan 2010

Is there something Fishy?

Postby germanguy » Mon, 17 May 2010 2:32 pm

Hello guys,
I have almost applied to 20 different principal investigators for a postdoc position in singapore. It has been almost 3 weeks I have not heard anything from anybody. In between this time I got already a positive answer from one of the proffessor in harvard USA. Is there something fishy going on in singapore? What I found out most chinese profs have only chinese collegues and so do indians profs with only indian collegues.

Do they even take any foreigner in their group? if the situation is like that chinese takes only chinese and indians only indians then god save singapore :D .

User avatar
carteki
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Is there something Fishy?

Postby carteki » Mon, 17 May 2010 3:45 pm

germanguy wrote: I got already a positive answer from one of the professor in harvard USA..


Whats the problem? Most people would give their front teeth for that. I wouldn't want to work anywhere where I wasn't wanted anyways.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Is there something Fishy?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 May 2010 4:19 pm

germanguy wrote:Hello guys,
I have almost applied to 20 different principal investigators for a postdoc position in singapore. It has been almost 3 weeks I have not heard anything from anybody. In between this time I got already a positive answer from one of the proffessor in harvard USA. Is there something fishy going on in singapore? What I found out most chinese profs have only chinese collegues and so do indians profs with only indian collegues.

Do they even take any foreigner in their group? if the situation is like that chinese takes only chinese and indians only indians then god save singapore :D .


Considering you have actually made any applications yet, I surprised you got even one reply. You, yourself, said you "almost applied" which would indicate to me that you never actually applied! Also, if your applications were spelled and punctuated like your post, I say you were lucky to get any reply at all. You sound like you have some racial tendencies. Where did you "find out" that Chinese Profs take only Chinese, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Oh, Dog only saves the Queen! Most here are Buddhist or Hindu. :wink:

germanguy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu, 28 Jan 2010

Postby germanguy » Mon, 17 May 2010 4:49 pm

sms,

You probably want to have a look at the respective websites of prinicipal investigators before commenting,,,,,,,, What I saw from their respective websites I am just elaborating here. I have no racial intention. :D

and regarding my mistakes here I do feel sorry for that ..I never thought somebody will comment on my mistakes in a forum rather than giving me some suggestions. :o

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 17 May 2010 4:57 pm

germanguy wrote:sms,

You probably want to have a look at the respective websites of prinicipal investigators before commenting,,,,,,,, What I saw from their respective websites I am just elaborating here. I have no racial intention. :D

and regarding my mistakes here I do feel sorry for that ..I never thought somebody will comment on my mistakes in a forum rather than giving me some suggestions. :o


don't fret...this is sms we're talking about here. sure, he's a cranky curmudgeon, a dick, a jerk an ass or all these combined at times, but he's given more than his fair share of wisdom.

and what's wrong with harvard?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 May 2010 6:00 pm

Sorry, nakatago, but I'd have to agree with him about Harvard as well. The the guy was interested in him when nobody else seems to be. I'd have to wonder as well. :-|

I can't be serious all the time. And when somebody ONLY gets a reply from Harvard........ :o

germanguy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu, 28 Jan 2010

Postby germanguy » Mon, 17 May 2010 6:16 pm

hey nakatago,

Nothing wrong with harvard .. but everything wrong with me. Harvard postdoc salaries are nuts. I am making more now than what is in offer there.

Honestly I am looking for more money as I have a family to feed. At the same time I want to explore asia. I have now started looking for positions in australia too.

and for SMS...
it seems you are an american,,,,,,you can not be singaporean :D .

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 May 2010 6:37 pm

:oops!: :shit: :mrgreen:

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 17 May 2010 8:46 pm

germanguy wrote:Nothing wrong with harvard .. but everything wrong with me. Harvard postdoc salaries are nuts. I am making more now than what is in offer there.
.


Aaahhh...I wouldn't have thunk that. When I try to apply for a post-doctoral position in Harvard, I would now know.

@SMS: I wasn't really thinking about only Harvard responding would be suspicious. Not enough information, not really keen on making assumptions. Sleepy day at work.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Is there something Fishy?

Postby x9200 » Mon, 17 May 2010 9:07 pm

germanguy wrote:Do they even take any foreigner in their group? if the situation is like that chinese takes only chinese and indians only indians then god save singapore :D .

Not the case for sure. Either you do something wrong or are extremely unlucky.

User avatar
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 20 Dec 2009

Re: Is there something Fishy?

Postby intellectualsmuse » Mon, 17 May 2010 10:23 pm

germanguy wrote:
if the situation is like that chinese takes only chinese and indians only indians then god save singapore :D .


Actually maybe they're only trying to save Singapore from YOU! :twisted:
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest