Singapore Expats

PR unsuccessful

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
asksaurav

PR unsuccessful

Post by asksaurav » Sat, 15 May 2010 11:18 pm

Ok so today I got my letter of rejection..

My profile :
Indian
Salary - above 7000 .
Education - MS from US university and BS from India. 6 years of work exp in US. Total 8 years of exp

Wife Masters and working in singapore

applied after 7 months stay

Kid daughter- us citizen

No reason given and no date mentioned to reapply..

Very surprising!!!!. Decided not to file for appeal as now I think I dont want PR.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 15 May 2010 11:21 pm

How long in Singapore?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 15 May 2010 11:24 pm

x9200 wrote:How long in Singapore?
OP did say 7 months...

@OP they're now strictly enforcing the 2-year residency requirement, along with other things we don't know. (since they really don't tell people why they get rejected). methinks it's got nothing to do with your qualifications but they don't think you'd stay long in singers.

enter sms in 5, 4, 3, 2...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 15 May 2010 11:30 pm

Oops. Me bad.

asksaurav

Post by asksaurav » Sat, 15 May 2010 11:37 pm

Too bad things have come to this situation..Singapore is now full...

Anyhow things are gravitating towards india and china and the new economic power center is shifting there rapidly..So may be bye bye singapore soon and bye bye to the crazy work hours and stressful work at the expense of personal life.. Why do they assume that someone will be so keen to hang around for 2 years to reapply just to stay here.

fatmouse76
Regular
Regular

Post by fatmouse76 » Sat, 15 May 2010 11:41 pm

thats what everyone says,,,should try applying only after 2 yeats ...but to think of it ...its not even stated in the ICA website.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 May 2010 11:47 pm

I have a sneaky suspicion that your daughter may well be the key to the rejection. If you daughter has US citizenship, then the gahmen realize that the odds of you putting down roots here are virtually nill and you are trying to gain PR just to abuse the system. While this may well NOT be true, in today's uncertain times regarding PR and EP's in general, They are looking for any reason they can find in order to reject applications (and yes, there is the 2 year thing as well, but you did not mention that). It's primarily that fact, that I believe your daughter is the key. If she is an American Citizen, your citizenship eventually in the US is assured so the gahmen here realize you aren't about to stay so why give it to you.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 15 May 2010 11:47 pm

asksaurav wrote:Too bad things have come to this situation..Singapore is now full...

Anyhow things are gravitating towards india and china and the new economic power center is shifting there rapidly..So may be bye bye singapore soon and bye bye to the crazy work hours and stressful work at the expense of personal life.. Why do they assume that someone will be so keen to hang around for 2 years to reapply just to stay here.
Because PR is about staying here and not earning some money at the least expenses and going somewhere else.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 15 May 2010 11:53 pm

asksaurav wrote:Too bad things have come to this situation..Singapore is now full...

honestly, i don't know if you just realized that you have a good deal in india or you're sour graping :???: at least you now know what they want and that's a big deal.

in any case, singapore is weeding out those who's into pr just for the perks. they really want those who are in for the long run--those who'll eventually become citizens.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

asksaurav

Post by asksaurav » Sun, 16 May 2010 12:01 am

Sms I value your suggestion..I have been following these boards for 6-7 months even before I came to singapore.

Just a small thing..I think Getting PR gives only one advantage today ..Changing jobs at will.. Ok so now PEP gives that.. Can I now apply for PEP since now PR is rejected..Main reason for applying PR was to have career freedom and negotiate my salary on the higher side. Since already I have P1 EP can I do a PEP trick so that I can change my job without the 1 year limitation of EP and tax witholding for 6 months

Previously I agree there was many advantages but due to the citizens complain now everything is taken out.Hmmm may be the daughters US citizenship was an issue..
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I have a sneaky suspicion that your daughter may well be the key to the rejection. If you daughter has US citizenship, then the gahmen realize that the odds of you putting down roots here are virtually nill and you are trying to gain PR just to abuse the system. While this may well NOT be true, in today's uncertain times regarding PR and EP's in general, They are looking for any reason they can find in order to reject applications (and yes, there is the 2 year thing as well, but you did not mention that). It's primarily that fact, that I believe your daughter is the key. If she is an American Citizen, your citizenship eventually in the US is assured so the gahmen here realize you aren't about to stay so why give it to you.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 May 2010 12:15 pm

From the limited dataset I have from your posts thus far, I am curious why you would want to have PEP. If you already have a P1 visa and your position is secure, it doesn't make sense to apply for the PEP as it is considered a stepping stone to PR.

Now, running with the fact that they did not even invite you, holding a P1 Visa already, to reapply in 2 years, why would you want a VISA that is only good for 5 years max and non-renewable? Within those five years who knows what is going to happen to the market and whether or not you would still be able to get a P1 Visa later. What happens when the PEP runs out while you are between jobs? And you cannot find a position?

If your position is secure, I'd stay on the P1 visa. If your 'real' intention is to eventually "use" your daughter's US citizenship to eventually return there, then the Sing gahmen were correct in their assessment that you are not applying because you want to sink roots here, but like most, want the limited perks that it offers.

How am I doing so far?

I think, going from a PR Application to a PEP application is a wrong move personally. What I would do is wait the 2 years, while on a P1 visa, and then apply again, even though they didn't ask you to wait. At least this way, if you ARE serious about staying here, it would appear moreso if you were already here a couple of years and hadn't tried to resort to other means to "use" the system to your advantage. The Singapore Gahmen believe in quid pro quo. But they have to be seen to be getting slightly more as you are the supplicant.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

cavalier
Regular
Regular

Post by cavalier » Sun, 16 May 2010 12:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's primarily that fact, that I believe your daughter is the key. If she is an American Citizen, your citizenship eventually in the US is assured so the gahmen here realize you aren't about to stay so why give it to you.
This is a commonly held fallacy. Having a child that is an American citizen does not make it easier for the parents to obtain citizenship. There are often stories in US papers of illegal immigrants being deported even thought their children are born in the US and are citizens. It is true even for those who haven't entered the country illegally.

asksaurav

Post by asksaurav » Sun, 16 May 2010 1:26 pm

I second that. A US citizen child does not in anyway means US citizenship for parents.
Also kid is too small now ..Hence when she grows up and become something I wouldn't even bother to go to US to retire..

cavalier wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's primarily that fact, that I believe your daughter is the key. If she is an American Citizen, your citizenship eventually in the US is assured so the gahmen here realize you aren't about to stay so why give it to you.
This is a commonly held fallacy. Having a child that is an American citizen does not make it easier for the parents to obtain citizenship. There are often stories in US papers of illegal immigrants being deported even thought their children are born in the US and are citizens. It is true even for those who haven't entered the country illegally.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 May 2010 1:31 pm

True. But you still have to admit, if they were there legally then the odds are definitely in their favour. If I were the government here, I'd look at it that way.

Otherwise, most would rather have their children in their own country. Look at the numbers here on this board who want to know if it's better to give birth here or in their country due to "certain" obligations that they could inherit should the child be given citizenship or PR here. Had the daughter been a boy in the US, who knows, in 18 years the boy might find himself in a war that was not of his doing and the US shouldn't even be involved in. Lot can happen in two decades.

Oh, the illegal or legal immigrants you are referring to are not generally Indian either. Most highly educated Indians are grabbed in a flash in the US because normally they also speak very good English unlike a lot of other migrants who can barely string a single sentence together in English. As the OP already mentioned he's got 6 years working experience coupled with a US Masters degree. The writing is on the wall. :wink:

asksaurav

Post by asksaurav » Wed, 20 Oct 2010 12:34 pm

An update:

Got my P1 EP renewed and subsequently got my PEP approved for 5 years..

Well Continuing the discussion and looking at the past 6 months it is clear that almost all PR is being rejected ..
I do understand that lots of ppl have misused the PR system to gamble on Realty market..Good thing is govt is weeding out the abusers with stringent requirements on buying and selling..Atleast it makes space for ppl who are serious to settle down here