Singapore Expats Forum

how to apply for PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
abuzannu

how to apply for PR

Postby abuzannu » Fri, 14 May 2010 8:56 pm

my family (husband, son & I) are considering applying for PR for SIN, we are applying under point i.e - For (e) Foreigners Residing Overseas who are Interested in Taking Up In-principle Permanent Residence in Singapore

we called and spoke to the consulate, they said if ur under 45 years of age and a university graduate u can apply n the processing time was about 6 months they said.

any other information that i would need to know before applying is welcome, also some friends who are PR's of SIN say my husband & I should apply seprately, any feedback on this??

thank u

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 May 2010 10:36 pm

If you are prepared to wait in excess of 12 months for a decision then please feel free to do so. We have had recently received posts for some having taken up to 15 months or so.

abuzannu

Postby abuzannu » Sat, 15 May 2010 12:39 am

iam actually good waiting in my home country to moving to SG once we get our PR, thx for your response

any other info i may need to know???

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby FaeLLe » Sat, 15 May 2010 7:13 pm

Yea probably that the employment market is not too good at the moment.
If you are planning entrepreneurship opportunities then you can explore faster options of getting to Singapore.

Also a PR in Singapore is similar to the Green Card system.
Its not life long, ie. you cant take a PR and move back to your home country.

To get back into Singapore you need an Exit Permit that needs to be renewed every few years (5 i think) and to renew you need to show proof of income tax filing ie. having revenue in Singapore.

Good luck with LPR.

abuzannu

Postby abuzannu » Sat, 15 May 2010 8:05 pm

my husband works in the advertising field & I work in Training & development(off shoot of HR) we think it will be a good idea to apply from our home country n get the PR(once we get PR we have 3 yrs to move to SG) once i have PR i can come there n explore job opportunities that should be typically next yr

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 May 2010 12:02 pm

I don't want to burst your bubble, but you only get a "AIP" for PR and not the PR itself. You are given the AIP (Approval "IN PRINCIPLE") and you have three years to apply for the PR. In order to get the PR you have to find a job here. Only then will you actually be given PR.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby FaeLLe » Sun, 16 May 2010 12:26 pm

Also the Catch 22 situation is most employers dont recognize / wish to employ people with the IPA letter of PR since you dont actually have a PR!

So if they ask you if you have a PR, you cant say yes - You would say, "I have an In Principle Approval to PR and that I will get a PR"........ so most employers would react to this as you not having a PR and drop your job application.

This is purely based on my reading of experiences of other users on the forum and responses.

SMS or SE could build on this I guess.