Singapore Expats Forum

Crow culling

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sat, 15 May 2010 12:36 am

Reading the above and in all seriousness, I am not surprised since there is an abundance of food available. Anybody here ever used the Koptiam at the end of Orchard Road when it was there? Birds would come in and sit on the edge of containers feeding and crows would race in and take slices of bread. I suppose it must be the same elsewhere with the large number of outdoor eateries. I well remember seeing a crow 'dive-bombing' a passer-by without connecting but a enough to be a nuisance.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 15 May 2010 1:49 am

Seen a good 50 Jave Mynah birds poisoned outside a hawker centre, just dropping like leaves, kind of sureal at first! Mynah birds , crows and pigeons are the worst pests here!

I was also surprised by shooting on the street, my first reaction was cover, then i eye balled this guy with a shotgun, my first take was how he was handling the weapon, if the barrel had have been pointing indiscriminately, I would have been a little concerned.

He was pretty orderly and holding the weapon very well, so I relaxed a little and stood my distance to see what was materialising,
I was less than 20 meters away and on full alert, It was something i never expected to be allowed on the street here.

http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/pub/natur ... /a094b.htm

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 15 May 2010 2:51 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Chill man, chill. Be thankful that there are those of us who aren't criminally inclined and aren't afraid of guns for protection and/or hunting for the table (with game, I eat what I kill - I don't hunt for trophy).

Oh my only difficulty is trying to surmount the joke of having, some right to bear arms, against none - coupled with a masively escalated gun crime rate. I.e. all my freeedoms have gone, but criminal loonies now do what the hell they like (as usuall).

I'm all for the NRA and responsible gun ownership. Mmmm lend me (long term if you like) that 1911 .45 [by grandad's service revolver], and if you have some elegant guage-guns like Beretta then you can walk down my street honking on your horn looking for vendors too any day ;-) :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 May 2010 7:24 am

Actually I do have a 40 year old, 32 Caliber Beretta. Very nice, compact and stylish pistol, well suited for a ladies purse actually, as it's rather compact.

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby merichan » Sat, 15 May 2010 2:57 pm

Doesn't surprise me...

With crows you don't really have any other option...

Contrary to pigeon, which can be given contraceptive pills or poisoned... neither of those alternative work on crows...

Shooting them is the most efficient.

They do it even in European countries...

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Sat, 15 May 2010 4:49 pm

Yeah mynahs are nastier than crows... Once I saw this mynah bullying a kookaburra even though the latter has a size advantage...Aussie birds are so lame :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 May 2010 6:03 pm

raden888 wrote:Aussie birds are so lame :lol:

Kookaburras or Sheilas? That oughta wake Ozchickie up! :P

He said it, not me! I'm just trying to clarify!

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sat, 15 May 2010 6:21 pm

merichan wrote:Doesn't surprise me...

With crows you don't really have any other option...

Contrary to pigeon, which can be given contraceptive pills or poisoned... neither of those alternative work on crows...

Shooting them is the most efficient.

They do it even in European countries...

well, crows are very smart birds.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 15 May 2010 9:03 pm

nakatago wrote:well, crows are very smart birds.

Thanks for the link. I knew they are intelligent but not that intelligent. Makes me even sadder, and no I'm not some eco-nut-green... :(

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sat, 15 May 2010 10:06 pm

JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote:well, crows are very smart birds.

Thanks for the link. I knew they are intelligent but not that intelligent. Makes me even sadder, and no I'm not some eco-nut-green... :(

i think them crow killers should be afraid. there have been anecdotal reports about crows showing animosity on researching capturing birds for researchers. they had to resort to using masks so the birds won't recognize them! (can't find the link, sorry).

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Sat, 15 May 2010 10:41 pm

JR8 wrote:
k1w1 wrote:I think monkeys are a far bigger problem. Mostly because I had one turn up in my lounge yesterday. Scared the living shit outta me. My screaming scared the living shit outta him. :lol:

Genuine LOL Spit-out-me Heiny-onto-the-keyboard-moment!!!!! :D

Certainly needed a few heinekens after that encounter, I can tell you!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 15 May 2010 10:50 pm

Maybe an irony is that I am a hunter (hunt to eat). But that I abhor seeming culling of 'pests', and animals that should really just be left alone.

Won't go on. Yes! I'll shoot my own dinner, but it upsets me.... oh, who cares....

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Sat, 15 May 2010 10:52 pm

Yeah, I hear ya! Monkeys are defo a big problem especially the two legged kinds :P

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Sat, 15 May 2010 10:54 pm

Plavt wrote:
k1w1 wrote:I think monkeys are a far bigger problem. Mostly because I had one turn up in my lounge yesterday. Scared the living shit outta me. My screaming scared the living shit outta him. :lol:

......but if I remember rightly your a school teacher.....should be used to monkeys by now (little monkeys of course).......... :P :lol:

Sure am! Ah, teenagers: gotta love other people's. :)

Admittedly, some teenaged boys have similar communication skills to feral primates and some teenaged girls could easily outdo their screeches, I've yet to have a teenager bare their teeth... :wink:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 16 May 2010 7:40 pm

Stone the crows . . .

It's done at regular intervals. The imported crow species decimates indigenous bird populations. They are on the top of the food chain and have no real predators to keep their numbers in check.

A man-made problem that needs humans to rectify it, at least, keep in check.

You know it makes sense.

'nuff said Image

Return to “General Discussions”