Singapore Expats Forum

PR application for only one parent

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
mules
Regular
Regular

PR application for only one parent

Postby mules » Thu, 13 May 2010 8:06 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is ok for only one parent to seek PR, and for the children to be dependents on my PEP? If only one parent is PR, are their future NS obligations for the children if they remain as dependants on my PEP?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 May 2010 10:39 pm

If you children haven't had PR and revoked it, then yes, I'd say they could remain as Dependents on your PEP. However, the PEP is only good for 5 years. Once that is up then you have to hope that you still have a job because if you don't then you really have a ball of hot wax. Remember, in this country, if you play with fire, you WILL get burned.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 14 May 2010 8:31 am

Even if you are still working at the end of your 5 year PEP what happens then? The PEP was introduced as a stepping stone to gaining PR. As at yet no one knows whether after 5 years you can obtain an EP or not?

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 14 May 2010 9:45 am

I'm confused..... if the OP gets PR where does the PEP come from? Surely if PR is approved then dependants are based on his PR status not a PEP and the original questions was relating to PR.

I ask, because this is my next option as well.

metroguy
Chatter
Chatter

Postby metroguy » Fri, 14 May 2010 9:51 am

The MOM website says one has to apply for an EP if one wishes to continue working in Singapore after the PEP has expired, as it's not renewable. Whether they actually approve the EP after PEP is yet to be seen as the PEP was introduced in 2007 and the initial PEPs (mine included) will expire only in 2012.

Here is my guess.

The PEP holders may receive an 'invitation to apply for PR (perhaps with in principal approval)' letter from MOM/ICA 3 months in advance before the expiry of PEP. The PEP holder will have only 2 options then. One is to accept the invitation and become a PR or ignore the letter and apply for an EP.

Of course, many of us, PEP holders wish/hope that it can be renewed.

Let's wait and see what the future holds for us. :D
It's in my blood. B(e) Positive.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 14 May 2010 9:54 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:I'm confused..... if the OP gets PR where does the PEP come from? Surely if PR is approved then dependants are based on his PR status not a PEP and the original questions was relating to PR.

I ask, because this is my next option as well.

Her hubby is going to apply for PR and OP will remain on PEP

mules
Regular
Regular

Postby mules » Fri, 14 May 2010 9:55 am

ok, so it would be more advisable for them to go onto LTSV?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 May 2010 10:46 am

If they are on a LTVP what are you going to do about their schooling? When applying for Student Visas, the Gahmen will probably nix the idea because they should be on PR's or Dependent's passes. Haven't been able to find anything documentary, so these are just my thoughts, seeing how the government is getting pretty wise to people trying to abuse the system.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 14 May 2010 10:56 am

And if you put them on student passes when they finish their schooling they'll have to leave Singapore unless they can get jobs etc.

Trying to abuse the system for your own benefit and Gahmen will find out. They are getting very wise to this kind of situation.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 May 2010 12:22 pm

No. Dependent's passes are for EP/PEP holders only. The problem here is going to be what is the family unit trying to pull and that will be pretty obvious if you have a male child especially if one becomes a PR and the other does not, retaining instead a PEP instead of the whole family gaining PR at the same time. It then makes the gahmen sit up and look closer.