Singapore Expats Forum

Entry-level Expatriate Salary Expectations

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

quitegood
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010

Entry-level Expatriate Salary Expectations

Postby quitegood » Mon, 10 May 2010 2:09 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a young American with very little work experience but some work experience none-the-less and a degree from a good US university. I love Singapore and think getting some additional Asian experience on my resume is a positive (I have already spent a lot of time in Asia, speak Mandarin etc), but I feel I will have to make extreme sacrifices to my standard of living to do so. What are everyone's thoughts? I'm looking at a salary between 2.5 and 3.5k here, which doesn't leave very much money for anything. I don't mind a small place in a bad location, but as I'm vegetarian and picky, it is sometimes very difficult to find suitable food at hawker centers (and sometimes it's necessary to have lunch with coworkers etc), so I may easily spend over 1000 a month on food (if I pinch). I guess, what I mean to ask is everyone's thought on whether working here at a salary (say 3k) is worth it when I may be able to get 5 to 6k in the US or Europe (I feel that Singapore is about the same or even more expensive than the US but with lower salaries?). Any young people start their careers in Singapore and have insight on this? I do understand the need to "get my foot in the door", but will I regret it? Thanks so much!!!!!

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: Entry-level Expatriate Salary Expectations

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 10 May 2010 6:51 am

quitegood wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm a young American with very little work experience but some work experience none-the-less and a degree from a good US university. I love Singapore and think getting some additional Asian experience on my resume is a positive (I have already spent a lot of time in Asia, speak Mandarin etc), but I feel I will have to make extreme sacrifices to my standard of living to do so. What are everyone's thoughts? I'm looking at a salary between 2.5 and 3.5k here, which doesn't leave very much money for anything. I don't mind a small place in a bad location, but as I'm vegetarian and picky, it is sometimes very difficult to find suitable food at hawker centers (and sometimes it's necessary to have lunch with coworkers etc), so I may easily spend over 1000 a month on food (if I pinch). I guess, what I mean to ask is everyone's thought on whether working here at a salary (say 3k) is worth it when I may be able to get 5 to 6k in the US or Europe (I feel that Singapore is about the same or even more expensive than the US but with lower salaries?). Any young people start their careers in Singapore and have insight on this? I do understand the need to "get my foot in the door", but will I regret it? Thanks so much!!!!!


Have you got a job or not in SG ?
If you have been offered $3.5 K sound OK coz job is very hard to comeby nowadays. Even harder for Employment Pass

For food I think 1K sounds alot.

IMHO stay in US and do more saving b4 you venture to SG

Good luck !!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35179
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 May 2010 10:03 am

Personally, I think your calculations are way overboard unless you like to live high off'n the hog.

ftopic63811.html&highlight=

neconomist
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue, 20 Apr 2010
Location: Singapore

Postby neconomist » Tue, 11 May 2010 4:43 pm

I have started a few years ago working here and I can say that it's tough, but not impossible for a young graduated. The first thing I can suggest is to keep your mind open and to start working as soon as possible.
I would even consider a salary at around 1.7-2.5k as an entry level. The competition here is high for juniors and your next task will be to prove why should they employ and expats rather than a local. Keeping you busy and getting some cash is important too.

crazeecanuck
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 23 May 2010
Location: Singapore

Postby crazeecanuck » Fri, 28 May 2010 6:17 pm

Depends on the job... but if you can get a decent one with a reputable company, I'd always take the position over the money (so long as the money is livable, which I would consider 3K livable here) at the beginning of a career. It will pay off in the long term. I'd say if you could get a reputable company and get experience in Asia, that's better than getting a bit more money to start back home.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun, 06 Jun 2010
Location: Bangkok

Postby carlsum1986 » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 4:53 pm

I think 2.5k is more than enough for you to support yourself. Currrently I earn 2.5k and I can support myself and my partner so it not really unlivable

ahfai3954
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun, 19 Apr 2009

Postby ahfai3954 » Tue, 08 Jun 2010 1:33 am

carlsum1986 wrote:I think 2.5k is more than enough for you to support yourself. Currrently I earn 2.5k and I can support myself and my partner so it not really unlivable


2.5k ?
can i know where are u from?
are you graduated local uni?

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun, 06 Jun 2010
Location: Bangkok

Postby carlsum1986 » Tue, 08 Jun 2010 9:19 am

I am from malaysia and studied in australia

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Sat, 26 Jun 2010 4:14 pm

I arrived first in 1996 with a lousy job at S$1400/month. Yet that was enough for all expenses, rent (sublet) and even some savings.
A few years and two job changes later, I was at $6500, which, after all tax and deductions, equals a reasonable pay in my home country (Europe).
Now I get more than I would at home, and live cheaper.
Such a career progression is unthinkable in Europe, even for a hardworking and successful person. Maybe I was just lucky, but I do not at all regret coming to Asia.
Come with an open mind and come for the opportunities, not for the money!

Good luck,
Frank

sarinho
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu, 01 Jul 2010

opportunities in singapore

Postby sarinho » Thu, 01 Jul 2010 4:45 am

Hi Dear Frank

I have patiently read your propositions and overall explanations about your experiences.

My name ıs Ozcan and after long time living in Germany have moved to Turkey and ı am native Turkısh.
I just want to know some informations about having a prospective business in Singapore.

I have been dealing in Foreign trading and business development with wide-experienced long years knowledge relatively and posses natively Turkish.English .German and at intermediate-level Russian ( still improving ) languages.

In case of applying to business notices What may be the prospective salary considering my experiences?

Your kind relation would be appreciated :)
Regards

Oezcan

sarinho
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu, 01 Jul 2010

Postby sarinho » Thu, 01 Jul 2010 7:15 pm

beppi wrote:I arrived first in 1996 with a lousy job at S$1400/month. Yet that was enough for all expenses, rent (sublet) and even some savings.
A few years and two job changes later, I was at $6500, which, after all tax and deductions, equals a reasonable pay in my home country (Europe).
Now I get more than I would at home, and live cheaper.
Such a career progression is unthinkable in Europe, even for a hardworking and successful person. Maybe I was just lucky, but I do not at all regret coming to Asia.
Come with an open mind and come for the opportunities, not for the money!

Good luck,
Frank


Hallo Frank

Danke sehr fuer beschreibung.

Koennen sie mit mir teilen vorueber sie tatigen.

Vorher war ich nicht in Asien und moechte im kurtze zeit dahin kommen auf moeglıche kareer zu stellen.

Ich hoffe dass leben nıcht so teuer ist und dass sie auch dort stolz sind!

Ich moechte etwas kennenlernen was dort gibt z.b ( lebensmittel.kosten fuer miete...usw)

Alles gutes fuer sie

Oezcan

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Fri, 02 Jul 2010 5:31 pm

This forum is in English. Let's keep other languages and discussions of your personal situation for private messages (PM). I have sent you one giving my reply to your request.

Regards,
Frank

sarinho
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu, 01 Jul 2010

Postby sarinho » Fri, 02 Jul 2010 5:43 pm

beppi wrote:This forum is in English. Let's keep other languages and discussions of your personal situation for private messages (PM). I have sent you one giving my reply to your request.

Regards,
Frank


Hi

For sure i should write in English ...however for little time i have been restricted to sent PM by this forum editor ...so due to that matter i have applied in German.

Anyway i am able to write in english ....by the way have you applied to my previous mail?

Regards
Oezcan

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Fri, 02 Jul 2010 5:54 pm

Hmm, it seems your English isn't better than your German ...
In that case, you might want to improve your English language skills first before looking for a job in Singapore. Almost everything here is in English (or Chinese) and you have basically no chances of finding a job without it.

Greetings,
Frank

sarinho
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu, 01 Jul 2010

Postby sarinho » Fri, 02 Jul 2010 9:10 pm

beppi wrote:Hmm, it seems your English isn't better than your German ...
In that case, you might want to improve your English language skills first before looking for a job in Singapore. Almost everything here is in English (or Chinese) and you have basically no chances of finding a job without it.

Greetings,
Frank


! i am a little confused about your comments regarding my language skills...
be sure that i have much enough dopes to present and convince myself to anyone else...fluent and orderly in languages....

no offence ...however you do not know me entirely about all :)
so no need to judge me.....and i never let anyone else even writing such comments...


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests