Singapore Expats Forum

Cleaning Persian Carpets

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
ozchick
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri, 21 Sep 2007
Location: Germany

Cleaning Persian Carpets

Postby ozchick » Sun, 09 May 2010 5:54 pm

Does anyone here have any goss on this? I'd like to get them cleaned before I leave Sg but have been told that they need specialist treatment (special 'washing', not steam cleaning or dry cleaning). They cost me $800 3 years ago and the guy who sold them to me will clean them for $150. Has anyone had this done? Is it really necessary to have them cleaned in this specific way? Any recommendations ?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Sun, 09 May 2010 6:18 pm

why you need it clean? is it dirty? has it got stains on it? it is wool, silk or both?

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Cleaning Persian Carpets

Postby ksl » Sun, 09 May 2010 6:19 pm

ozchick wrote:Does anyone here have any goss on this? I'd like to get them cleaned before I leave Sg but have been told that they need specialist treatment (special 'washing', not steam cleaning or dry cleaning). They cost me $800 3 years ago and the guy who sold them to me will clean them for $150. Has anyone had this done? Is it really necessary to have them cleaned in this specific way? Any recommendations ?

The material matters, pure wool handwoven are more fragile than machine made and synthetic material....the dyes used are also important

http://www.rugs-oriental.net/cleaning-persian-rugs.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_4924509_clean-persian-rug.html

If any stains, they will need looking at carefully and treated independently, if its a general clean a they need a good wash, to loosen the ingrained dust, a steam cleaner may well be sufficient if there are no stains. I have one rug which is from the 1890's a beauty with vegetable dyes, looks like the union jack flag in every square though it is not, it is just the design of 4 arrows pointing inwards and the colours used make it appear like the union Jack flag in the centre of 21 elephant foots , though its repaired in several spots, its very unique and i had it authenticated on Arab street purchased it in the US.

You will get the best advice down Arab street, shop around for best price and ask what you get for your money.

150$ appears to be expensive to me!

User avatar
ozchick
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri, 21 Sep 2007
Location: Germany

Postby ozchick » Sun, 09 May 2010 9:39 pm

durain wrote:why you need it clean? is it dirty? has it got stains on it? it is wool, silk or both?


Yeah there are stains on them both. Nothing evil..just a bit grubby here and there. Not sure what they're made of.....
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

User avatar
ozchick
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri, 21 Sep 2007
Location: Germany

Re: Cleaning Persian Carpets

Postby ozchick » Sun, 09 May 2010 9:46 pm

ksl wrote:
ozchick wrote:Does anyone here have any goss on this? I'd like to get them cleaned before I leave Sg but have been told that they need specialist treatment (special 'washing', not steam cleaning or dry cleaning). They cost me $800 3 years ago and the guy who sold them to me will clean them for $150. Has anyone had this done? Is it really necessary to have them cleaned in this specific way? Any recommendations ?

The material matters, pure wool handwoven are more fragile than machine made and synthetic material....the dyes used are also important

http://www.rugs-oriental.net/cleaning-persian-rugs.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_4924509_clean-persian-rug.html

If any stains, they will need looking at carefully and treated independently, if its a general clean a they need a good wash, to loosen the ingrained dust, a steam cleaner may well be sufficient if there are no stains. I have one rug which is from the 1890's a beauty with vegetable dyes, looks like the union jack flag in every square though it is not, it is just the design of 4 arrows pointing inwards and the colours used make it appear like the union Jack flag in the centre of 21 elephant foots , though its repaired in several spots, its very unique and i had it authenticated on Arab street purchased it in the US.

You will get the best advice down Arab street, shop around for best price and ask what you get for your money.

150$ appears to be expensive to me!


It's from Arab Street that I bought them, so the cleaning quote is from one of those places. He reckons that steam cleaning isn't good for the carpet. They're machine made Iranian Takhtjamshid carpets if that means anything. Will check out those links Kayser and thanks!
It may well be worth getting quotes from other guys in the same area. It does seem a bit pricey too I reckon.....have you had yours cleaned at all professionally? I've only ever done spot-cleaning on mine with Eucalyptus oil or a quality powder but I'd really like them done properly before I put them on the ship.....
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests