Singapore Expats Forum

What do you do when you get homesick?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

What do you do when you get homesick?

Postby intellectualsmuse » Fri, 07 May 2010 8:47 pm

And "fly home" is not a smart answer! I've got the blues and I'm starting to miss home a bit and am sure this happens to a lot of other people too. So any tips on dealing with "homesickness" anyone? ;)
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

Postby Splatted » Fri, 07 May 2010 8:55 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote:And "fly home" is not a smart answer! I've got the blues and I'm starting to miss home a bit and am sure this happens to a lot of other people too. So any tips on dealing with "homesickness" anyone? ;)

Definitely,... everyone goes through it at some point.

For me, it's when the days begin to blur into each other, or if I've been stuck between 4 walls for a little too long....

Answer is to probably mix up your week a bit, catch up with friends,. find some new interests...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 May 2010 9:17 pm

For me, it was "fly home". I didn't get homesick for the first two decades I was here. It's only in the past 6 to 8 years that I actually started really missing the farm. I don't miss the people, but I do miss the river, the woods, hunting & fishing, etc. I actually, at one point, went 13 years without stepping foot in my country - the closest being the US Embassy here to renew my Passport when it expired.

Now days, it's skype. Can talk all I want for peanuts. Still not the same but it'll do for the time being.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 07 May 2010 9:49 pm

think about all the nasty stuff politicians and stubborn people do in your country? makes the longing go away! :P :P :P

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Fri, 07 May 2010 9:53 pm

go to your home country restaurant and order a feast.

KittyJules76

Postby KittyJules76 » Sat, 08 May 2010 11:30 am

Miss the food, miss my house, miss my dad and especially my six naughty terriers and shitzu. Last year I went back 3 times. This year dont know yet but already went back one time last month coz my grandfather passed away. Actually he passed away like 2 weeks even before i went back but well where can i find a perfect reason to go back. The worst thing came when I arrived back home and asked my brother to take me to cemetry to pay my respect to my granddad. That's when they told me he got cremated and ashes already scattered at the river as he requested. Blimey ...i m a terrible granddaughter. :(

x9200

Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

Postby x9200 » Sat, 08 May 2010 12:13 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote:And "fly home" is not a smart answer! I've got the blues and I'm starting to miss home a bit and am sure this happens to a lot of other people too. So any tips on dealing with "homesickness" anyone? ;)

Just the usual ones: do something to have some fun. Could be for your stomach, cold be for your soul :)

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Sat, 08 May 2010 12:23 pm

Funny this, buy I get "homesick" after leaving Singapore nowadays. Nothing puts the smile back on my face more efficiently than landing back at Changi Airport. :)

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Sat, 08 May 2010 12:34 pm

No wonder if your whole wardrobe was purchased at M&S, go for something a bit different change of scene and all that.

aster wrote:Funny this, buy I get "homesick" after leaving Singapore nowadays. Nothing puts the smile back on my face more efficiently than landing back at Changi Airport. :)

Aster 100 percent agree, home is where your hat is.

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Postby intellectualsmuse » Sat, 08 May 2010 5:24 pm

QRM wrote:

No wonder if your whole wardrobe was purchased at M&S, go for something a bit different change of scene and all that.

[

Ya wore some traditional stuff and bright accessories to work this Friday, but it only made me even more MORE homesick :P
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 09 May 2010 3:03 am

The first step of any challenge is to set your goal, for self improvement.

You need to control your thoughts rather than your thoughts control you!

Accept the facts and move on with your goals, the only way forward is positive thoughts....A good cry helps, just like any other grief you have to deal with, there is a systematic process before the feel good factor comes. Search grief and read, you will identify feelings and relate to the here and now.

I've been on the move for 42 years, i cannot find my hat! It's quite sureal sometimes, like being in another world, having faith helps, though the most imortant thing is to know what is happening to yourself, you may need mild medication to give your brain a rest, if you are feeling depression, which is very possible, so ask your doctor for something to stop your thoughts.

I just set myself targets even which i cannot reach anymore becuase of my heart, so lowering my expectations keeps me alive but I do set myself small challenges still which may take my life....Like drinking
beer with people i like to meet trust me, life is really short don't waste it on homesickness, get out and see the world while you can!

The answer is tests, all through life we have tests, it's a journey of suffering and challenges making life more worth while!

If you really want the feel good factor get involved with those that are really suffering and stop thinking of what you are missing.

If you have ever had a punishment posting, you would understand how and why people strike off the days every day.

Survival is blending in with your surroundings and getting on with reaching your goals in life, to make you more stronger. Thoughts are a persons worst enemy if they are negative and will lead to depression.

You can plan your next trip home and set some goals, like you want to save an additional 10k, to spend on your family holidays.

Only hang around with positive people, have a social life, good food and keep fit.

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Postby missis » Sun, 09 May 2010 7:37 am

Reading my local UK newspaper is usually enough to stop any homesick feelings I have...

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Sun, 09 May 2010 2:47 pm

Yup, the news will often do it to me too. That or the weather report. :)

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Sun, 09 May 2010 3:33 pm

k1w1 wrote:Yup, the news will often do it to me too. That or the weather report. :)

You can also listen to radio stations via internet from your home country. I used to wear headphones plugged into my work PC every day whilst working in sg

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 09 May 2010 6:03 pm

aster wrote:Funny this, buy I get "homesick" after leaving Singapore nowadays. Nothing puts the smile back on my face more efficiently than landing back at Changi Airport. :)

Me too! And I've only been here 3 years!
I WISH I were homesick sometimes cos I feel like a traitor. But as other posters have said here, one only has to open the newspapers from home and, in my case, see how it's dominated by Aussie Rules football and cricket and all manner of macho stuff. Nah, can really do without that and don't miss it one little bit.
As for the OP's query, I'm not sure that 'dipping' into home foods or news etc is the answer. I would imagine 'distraction' methods would be more beneficial. This has already been suggested and I agree. Get out and about, see films, join a club, group, etc and keep busy so that one isn't dwelling on the issue. And I suppose 'get home' once a year so that you have that to look forward to while you're busy distracting yourself! :)
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'