Singapore Expats Forum

Taxi Drivers with no place to go

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Taxi Drivers with no place to go

Postby ozchick » Mon, 03 May 2010 7:35 pm

So the cab calls my phone to say he's down in the basement carpark. And when I get down there, he's facing the wrong direction where he knows damned well he'll have to reverse. I jump in, he turns on the meter while I wait for him to do his reverse thing...mm....petty maybe...but gee I always give a decent tip and this kind of stuff is not too flash. Should I be paying to be going nowhere?
Yesterday when it happened again I said to the cabbie after I jumped in "You won't be able to get out this way, you see- there's a garden and a wall there. You will need to reverse". But sarcasm doesn't help my pocket of course and they don't pick up on this anyway.....he'd be wondering why I'm stating the obvious.
Maybe I should give the driver the signal to 'reverse' while I'm outside the cab so they can't play these games. What do you guys all do?
I mean really, sitting there with the engine running, waiting for me with the cab facing the wrong way...are they stupid or playing the power game?
And in case you're wondering, I DO get down there on time. So this is NOT 'RETRIBUTION'. But sometimes they're early.
Now don't all start hanging it on me! I generally have a lot of time for the cabbies here. Compared with Melbourne this is cab-heaven!
I hereby pre-empt a few wayward attacks. This forum is really quiet at the moment and we're due for a wee bout of dish-out yeah?! :D
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 03 May 2010 7:49 pm

:-#

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 03 May 2010 7:56 pm

Saint wrote::-#

Oh come on Saint! I was looking for some action here! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

x9200

Postby x9200 » Mon, 03 May 2010 8:11 pm

Just to be sure... we are talking about some kind of 10c magnitude problem, right?

nakatago

Re: Taxi Drivers with no place to go

Postby nakatago » Mon, 03 May 2010 8:29 pm

ozchick wrote: This forum is really quiet at the moment and we're due for a wee bout of dish-out yeah?! :D

a lot happened during the weekend.

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Mon, 03 May 2010 9:05 pm

x9200 wrote:Just to be sure... we are talking about some kind of 10c magnitude problem, right?

Maybe her place is too big, don't know.....

But seriously, I assume that the taxi driver has to pick you in the place you tell him and he will go by the shortest route. If he's facing the wrong side, I don't see anything wrong with him making the U-turn after picking you.

So you go to Germany to run away of SG taxi drivers?

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Taxi Drivers with no place to go

Postby Splatted » Tue, 04 May 2010 2:11 am

ozchick wrote:I jump in, he turns on the meter while I wait for him to do his reverse thing...mm....petty maybe...but gee I always give a decent tip and this kind of stuff is not too flash. Should I be paying to be going nowhere?

Perhaps get the driver to wait for you in the main street where he will be facing the correct direction.

You'll save 20c-ish and get to stretch your legs a little.

ozchick wrote:What do you guys all do?
I mean really, sitting there with the engine running, waiting for me with the cab facing the wrong way...are they stupid or playing the power game?

It wouldn't bother me. As you said, Singapore is taxi-heaven.

You even got a phone call too. Imagine this sort of service in Melbourne, where instead they honk their horn a few times and if you aren't out within a few seconds, they're off ....