Singapore Expats

PR Application

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Post Reply
User avatar
Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 4:40 am
Location: Hong Kong (bye bye SG!)

Post by Asdracles » Wed, 05 May 2010 12:47 am

Last time a few months ago, being here for 3 years with a Q pass. Some of my workmates, in lower position, salary less than half mine, staying here for less time, paying less taxes or no taxes, got it around same time.

Only difference is that they were from Myanmar/Philippines/Vietnam. I know at least a couple of caucasian guys with "best" conditions than me (longer time, higher pay, ...) also rejected recently.

Reason given by SMS looks right. They don't see us as long term residents or long term citizens. Too many people has played with PR recently

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 40429
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 21
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 May 2010 6:57 am

One other thing that creeps into the equation as well, but isn't that publicized is the fact that in the almost 30 years I've been here, the racial percentages of Singapore haven't changed but a few 10th of a percent for any of the races. Can anybody answer the question then as to why, with the Chinese having the lowest fertility rate in Singapore and the Malays having the highest and the Indians in the Middle of the low fertility rates across the boards, the percentages never change in 30 years?

It's easy. They make up the differences with immigration. They give PR's to those whom they see as wanting to stay but also needing to keep their overwhelming majority in the government/population. Therefore, it's very rare to see a Malay getting PR here. But it rather easy for a Chinese engineer or a Malaysian/Indonesian Chinese to get PR. Matter of fact most of the LPR's ARE Indonesian Chinese. Indians have made a run on PR in the past 10 years and they are getting bounced back since Sept pretty hard even though they have qualifications. The government doesn't give it's points allocation spread out to the public because it doesn't want "custom tailored" applications forged in order to gain PR. It also keeps moveable goalposts in order to cater to it's own changing needs/protection. Best get used to it. PR and Citizenship is a gift, not a right.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

KittyJules76
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 4:54 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by KittyJules76 » Wed, 05 May 2010 9:18 am

Ok. Here is the thing. First sentence saying that the application is not successful. Second sentence said that In evaluating all application, we consider all the relevant factors including changes in residential period, financial stability as well as conduct.

So what does it mean?

All i can think of is my frist rented place i stayed only for one and a half year and just recently after i submit my PR application, I moved. Any suggestions? Wait another 2 years? Find a new job?

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4299
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 05 May 2010 9:32 am

KittyJules76,
You never mentioned about what passport do you hold, your pass type ?

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4299
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 05 May 2010 9:36 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I know of 2 within the last 6 months that have filed and received it). Hate to disillusion you. But ICA doesn't give out it's reasons nor the point criteria that it uses.
SMS , You meant that 2 of whom you know who are on a S or Q pass and have been in SG for less than 6 months have got thier PR recently in 2010? Thats interesting.

Agreed, that PR/Citizenship is a Gift

KittyJules76
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 4:54 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by KittyJules76 » Wed, 05 May 2010 9:41 am

Asdracles wrote:Last time a few months ago, being here for 3 years with a Q pass. Some of my workmates, in lower position, salary less than half mine, staying here for less time, paying less taxes or no taxes, got it around same time.

Only difference is that they were from Myanmar/Philippines/Vietnam. I know at least a couple of caucasian guys with "best" conditions than me (longer time, higher pay, ...) also rejected recently.

Reason given by SMS looks right. They don't see us as long term residents or long term citizens. Too many people has played with PR recently
Well I am from Myanmar. A friend of mine from Philippine was working with Q pass but her salary is not even the minimum salary of the pass. Anyway, she was in Singapore for 10months only when she applied for PR. Then after one and a half month she told me she got a letter from ICA that her application is successful Unfortunately, she got retreched one week later and couldnt find the job again so have to go back and her PR got cancelled. Dont think it's becoz you are asian though.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4299
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 05 May 2010 9:42 am

KittyJules76 wrote:Ok. Here is the thing. First sentence saying that the application is not successful. Second sentence said that In evaluating all application, we consider all the relevant factors including changes in residential period, financial stability as well as conduct.

So what does it mean?

All i can think of is my frist rented place i stayed only for one and a half year and just recently after i submit my PR application, I moved. Any suggestions? Wait another 2 years? Find a new job?
If you change jobs often, it would affect your conduct meaning you do not want to stick on a particular decision for a long amoung of time. Wait for another 1.5-2 years and try. You will have a better chance by then.

KittyJules76
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 4:54 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by KittyJules76 » Wed, 05 May 2010 9:44 am

singaporeflyer wrote:KittyJules76,
You never mentioned about what passport do you hold, your pass type ?
Passport or pass type? I am under S pass. Salary 2k to be exact. I think I mentioned it before. Passport not sure why you are asking for passport.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4299
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 05 May 2010 9:54 am

KittyJules76,
Did u read the above what SMS was saying? They have to maintain a ethinic balance in the society and the country of origin of the applicant would also have some weigtage based on what they want

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 40429
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 21
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 May 2010 10:12 am

Conduct?

Have you been picked up by the police for anything?

Financial stability....

If you were only earning 1.8K on a S pass then that is probably the primary reason although, I know it's possible to PR with only 1.8K - I've got 'em working for me. Again, movable goalposts and who knows, they may even be selective regarding income/ethnicity. We have no way of knowing under the current situation as it's different than anything we've run up again in the past 20 years.

Residential period? I guess it possible they mean length of time here in Singapore. Although Singaporeflyer, if true, will have a lot of sad stories to tell all his mates from the Subcontinent if you have already been here for 2.5 years.

Course that might help the silly posters who have been here for 8 months and want to know if it too soon to apply for PR! :roll:

KittyJules76, you have not indicated where you are from so we are also somewhat at a loss there as well. Still too many unknowns and even if known, we really don't have an answer that I would bet on.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4299
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 05 May 2010 10:22 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Conduct?

Have you been picked up by the police for anything?

Financial stability....

If you were only earning 1.8K on a S pass then that is probably the primary reason although, I know it's possible to PR with only 1.8K - I've got 'em working for me. Again, movable goalposts and who knows, they may even be selective regarding income/ethnicity. We have no way of knowing under the current situation as it's different than anything we've run up again in the past 20 years.

Residential period? I guess it possible they mean length of time here in Singapore. Although Singaporeflyer, if true, will have a lot of sad stories to tell all his mates from the Subcontinent if you have already been here for 2.5 years.

Course that might help the silly posters who have been here for 8 months and want to know if it too soon to apply for PR! :roll:

KittyJules76, you have not indicated where you are from so we are also somewhat at a loss there as well. Still too many unknowns and even if known, we really don't have an answer that I would bet on.
SMS,
Conduct doesnt mean to be caught by the police. Not paying certain taxes on time/job hoppings are all factors considered for conduct.

KittyJules76, has mentioned already that he is from Myanmar. I made a mistake, since i didnt read that properly on his earlier posting.

SMS,
>> Although Singaporeflyer, if true, will have a lot of sad stories to tell all his mates from the Subcontinent if you have already been here for 2.5 years.

What do you mean by the above?

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3544
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 6:31 am
Answers: 4
Location: TIMBUKTU

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 05 May 2010 10:35 am

singaporeflyer wrote:S Pass holders can surely apply for PR. earlier the criteria for evaluation of PR was lenient and so they were approved easily not considering the duration of stay. But recently in the past 8-10 months the evaluation is a lot stricter and the main reasons for rejections are not met the residential requirements (or) factors like financial stability and conduct.

Cant say impossible, but in the recent 1 year there are very few number of S or Q Pass holders with stay less than 1 year in SG approved as a PR .


What the person has quoted as the rejection is surely not the exact content of the rejection letter.
SF

I read your post with interest. Where did you come up with this S pass can apply for PR ?

PLease tell me how this S and Q Pass with less than 1 ys got PR ?

Did I miss something here ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4299
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 05 May 2010 10:43 am

Mad Scientist,
Refer ICA Site

Eligibility Criteria:
(c) P, Q or S work pass holders

My post that S Pass Holders can surely apply for PR was in answer to one of the conversations between me and sms.


Also read SMS posts abobe which proves that S pass holders within 1 year of stay in SG have got PR

From SMS

This I know is not the case as I've 3 currently on my payroll who I brought into the country, and they were on S passes until they got their PR (at that time, within 12 months for 2 of them and 6 months for the other. And their salaries were the minimum for S passes.

Hope this clarifies?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 40429
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 21
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 May 2010 12:04 pm

MS,

As a matter of fact, and for the record, the three that I mentioned were actually from Myanmar as well. So I do know that it's possible. almost one quarter of my staff are from Myanmar so I have a considerable amount of experience with them. I also have malaysians and PRC's working from me on WP's as well. The most recent two that I am aware of however, were neither from Myanmar nor working for me, but anecdotal evidence. There is nothing stopping an S pass holder from applying for PR at all. On the other hand, it is impossible for a WP holder to do so.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4299
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 05 May 2010 12:10 pm

SMS,
Although Singaporeflyer, if true, will have a lot of sad stories to tell all his mates from the Subcontinent if you have already been here for 2.5 years.

What do u mean by the above?

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests