Singapore Expats Forum

This weekend's troll

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

This weekend's troll

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 May 2010 12:41 pm

This weekend's troll, thuanhoo/urpos/clarenceong and whatever other additional nick it comes up with, has again failed at what was it's original attempt, but in the process, he has won lots of minor skirmishes, considering he has caused others here to flare up in kind back at him. If you don't respond to a troll, they get tired of the game. If you want to play with them, do so, but remember, the name of the game for the troll is to get agitated reactions from the members and possibly start flame wars. A lot of you here have done just that by letting the troll get the upper hand on your emotions and you are responding in anger and frustration. When you do that, it wins.

As I said in another thread, If it creates threads baiting the members, and you all bite and then get angry at it spewing, you can't blame anybody but yourselves. I usually let 'em go and as all know here, I like to play with them. But when a Troll starts screwing around with good serious threads that's when I draw the line and moderate. I figure it might be back again with another new nick as it doesn't seem to be too smart. But unfortunately, as this one isn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier so it's very easy to spot him.

:cool:

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Sun, 02 May 2010 12:45 pm

The troll was fun not as good as previous trolls.I guess must be a dropout from troll college. :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 May 2010 1:00 pm

The various comments about mods not doing their jobs? Well, our jobs would be a damn site easier if regulars wouldn't keep replying to the troll. When you do that, all you do is make it impossible for us to delete the trolls messages as by doing so, then the thread becomes intelligible unless I delete all the regulars responses to the troll as well. Then we get the whining regulars who cry "what happened to my posts?!?" or "why has my post count gone down?". That's the thankless job we get to do for nothing when one gets asked and accepts being a mod.

So how? :???:

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Sun, 02 May 2010 1:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The various comments about mods not doing their jobs? Well, our jobs would be a damn site easier if regulars wouldn't keep replying to the troll. When you do that, all you do is make it impossible for us to delete the trolls messages as by doing so, then the thread becomes intelligible unless I delete all the regulars responses to the troll as well. Then we get the whining regulars who cry "what happened to my posts?!?" or "why has my post count gone down?". That's the thankless job we get to do for nothing when one gets asked and accepts being a mod.

So how? :???:

Sometimes posts seem legit at first.

I actually wasn't offended by any of his posts. Only amused at the effort he went into digging up all sorts of nonsense statistics.

edit: even more amused now, knowing what a poor attempt it was at trolling.

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Sun, 02 May 2010 1:19 pm

Relax! Drinks on me 8-)

The troll did come up with some interesting topics though. :wink:

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 02 May 2010 1:43 pm

raden888 wrote:Relax! Drinks on me 8-)

The troll did come up with some interesting topics though. :wink:

Um...sorry, missed all the action, but Raden I'm up for that drink! :D
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 May 2010 3:34 pm

Yeah, it did, but unfortunately, and I stated as much, it's attempting to bait showed me what a poor troll he actually was, because as soon as somebody here posted a geniune linked rebuttal then it got mixed up and started spewing, so lost the plot. What interesting is it'x choice of monikers. Initially a reasonably well know Psychiatrist here in Singapore (probably it's own doctor) and subsequently his name calling second nick urpos (You are Piece of SH*T). His signature and later posts alluded to scat tendencies as well - no wonder it was acquainted with the psychiatrist! ). I didn't bother to research his 3rd nick but the signature was the same as the second..

When I get a derogatory/antagonistic first posts by a new member with only a couple of posts, I normally go to the profile to have a glance at the other posts the new poster has made. That's what I did with this one and it's first 6 posts were all antagonistic in nature. He'd left his signature too soon too strongly.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 02 May 2010 5:24 pm

OK SMS

My fault too as he looks credible at first. You know me as I am always interested to help out in anyway I can with the things I know

When he started mickeying you I got upset as this is uncalled for

Sorry Mods I will learn this lesson

MS
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 May 2010 5:46 pm

Not a problem. I enjoy trolls as I'm virtually unflappable. This makes me a prime target especially when looking the the numbers on my profile both quantity and length of time. To me it's a game that they really can't win and as long as they confine their target to me and their own threads, it's fine, but when they start calling other posters names or go f**king around with other legitimate threads, then I just unceremoniously lock them out. Some guys are babe magnets. I'm a troll magnet! :P

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sun, 02 May 2010 6:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'm a troll magnet! :P

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Sun, 02 May 2010 6:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: I'm a troll magnet! :P

Ha Ha Ha ! Instead of you've got mail its you've got troll! :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 May 2010 6:56 pm

Beauuute Mate!

Except our trolls aren't that cute! :P

more like:

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sun, 02 May 2010 8:17 pm

since i was working on something with photoshop already anyway...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 May 2010 9:13 pm

I'm actually partial to playing Thor without the clown suit! :P

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sun, 02 May 2010 9:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'm actually partial to playing Thor]

somebody beat you to it-->http://www.latinoreview.com/news/thor-photo-9869

you'll have to settle for this: