Singapore Expats Forum

Why do the buildings in the UK look so old and rundown?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:22 pm

ozchick wrote:To my mind, Singapore is pretty damned clean. Having said though, yeah of course it could be cleaner at times, in some regard. But compared with Oz, this place is 'clean' heaven!
A trip tp a public bathroom back home in Melbourne, or the horrible airport, run-down suburban shopping centres and God forbid the disgusting public tranpsort with ground-in food, chewing-gum etc truly deters me from reccommending it to anyone. It's down-right embarrassing. I just can't get enough of Singapore in this regard.
But then of course, no salary earner back home could or would live on what the local cleaning staff accept here. That's how it's achieved and what a pity there is no other way.

Neither will the locals here either ozchick. The cleaners are usually Bangladeshis on slave labour. And I never saw any toilets in Oz with footprints on the seats like they all do here! :?

FlyingScotsman

Postby FlyingScotsman » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 7:55 pm

bluenose wrote:If you come from Scotland (flying scotsman?) it would make sense why you think it is dirty here? Scottish people(having lived there for ages) are on the whole obsessed with having clean houses, windows, cars....you name it, they want it clean....where as we londoners are not bothered on the whole as there is more important things to do other than cleaning skirting boards :wink:
Singapore is bloody clean and I think the cleanest place I have ever seen for the quantity of people that live here and I have never wanted to sit on the back of a chair here or anywhere, so being a bit dusty would not bother me :wink:
A healthy obsession with chair legs could be a good sport to get into though :wink:

Yes, I do come from Scotland where, as they say, Cleanliness in next to Godliness!
It would appear that we differ in our definition of clean, but I have to say, there are some gorgeous parts of Europe which are SPOTLESS, inside and out..you could eat your dinner off the floor (as my Granny would say) Sparkling windows, clean public transport, neat towns and villages - it is way of life..Japan is immaculate..Folk don't go wittering on about how clean their place is..it just IS. There are flowers in summer, decorations in winter..autumn leaves are cleaned up and spring is enjoyed for all it's beauty. Do not kid yourselves. Singapore is nowhere NEAR the top of this league..please folk, take off the rose coloured spectacles and REALLY look then start scrubbing and cleaning, for some of it is manky.
Hey ho...

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Why do the buildings in the UK look so old and rundown?

Postby snowqueen » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 9:53 pm

tkuanhoo wrote:Just been there not long ago and they all look so old and rundown (especially outside London).

It looks like a second-third world country to be honest. Is it even safe to live in one of those castles? They have so much moss and algae and look like they are about to collapse anytime.

And there are no jobs in Britein these days?

Just wondering how far 'outside London' the OP went as there are some stunning places outside London. Kent and Tonbridge Wells are not far out of London and the country roads around there as just wonderful to drive around, especially on a lovely sunny day - did he get to pop into a beer garden in a country pup for a little drink?

And those Castles are hundreds of years old, the moss and mould adds to the (can't find the right word) to the exterior of the building and gives it a feel of history - sandblasting/jetwashing the old castle would just ruin the experience.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Why do the buildings in the UK look so old and rundown?

Postby JR8 » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:58 pm

snowqueen wrote:
tkuanhoo wrote:Just been there not long ago and they all look so old and rundown (especially outside London).

It looks like a second-third world country to be honest. Is it even safe to live in one of those castles? They have so much moss and algae and look like they are about to collapse anytime.

And there are no jobs in Britein these days?

Just wondering how far 'outside London' the OP went as there are some stunning places outside London. Kent and Tonbridge Wells are not far out of London and the country roads around there as just wonderful to drive around, especially on a lovely sunny day - did he get to pop into a beer garden in a country pup for a little drink?

And those Castles are hundreds of years old, the moss and mould adds to the (can't find the right word) to the exterior of the building and gives it a feel of history - sandblasting/jetwashing the old castle would just ruin the experience.

The whole philosophy in SG is different. The thinking seems to be that any building over 20 years old 'should' be demolished and redeveloped, as there is money in it. Simple.

Look how they demolished street after street of shophouses at Clarke Quay in the early 90's, and then (under total horror and duress) rebuilt the area as a disneyfied and utterly vulgar pastiche of what had been destroyed.

As a population fresh sprung from peasants and coolies, they are 'new money' and lack that charming effortless class of 'old money'. They need to show any wealth that they have and shout about it. Because, yes, somewhat unbelievably, other people in SG do care it seems.

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 3:05 pm

FlyingScotsman wrote:Singapore is nowhere NEAR the top of this league.

I have to agree with FlyingScotsman here, the only reason Singapore is reasonably clean is due to the cheap foreign labour that does the cleaning. If the cleanliness was the sole responsibility of the locals ,you would see more of this :

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 3:30 pm

raden888 wrote:
FlyingScotsman wrote:Singapore is nowhere NEAR the top of this league.

I have to agree with FlyingScotsman here, the only reason Singapore is reasonably clean is due to the cheap foreign labour that does the cleaning. If the cleanliness was the sole responsibility of the locals ,you would see more of this...

amidoinitrite?

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Zeenit » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 9:06 am

JR8 wrote:I grew up in a fantastic old house in England, that had been built in 1526 as a coaching inn.

Last year the condo management here chopped down scores of trees (a whole range, from maybe 5-50 years old) on the estate. When I asked why, they replied that they were 'old'.

Go figure the need for everything to be new here. The apparent need to jet-wash every bit of paving or footpath every two weeks, and the need to demolish and rebuild everything every 15 years...

Then pls let me know, as I still don't get it.. :?

We lived and still own a lovely flat in london that was built in 1794. The trees outside our house is 150 years old and are wonderful.
Singapore might be clean but where is the soul of the country? New builds everywhere.
So please if you dont like it, dont bitch about it. :D
Zeenit

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter

Postby bluenose » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 9:37 am

Flying Scotsman...go and check the average street in the UK or Scotland and you will see Singapore is miles cleaner.....the UK is filthy.....Scotland may have clean cupboards and carpets...but the streets are appalling???
I have a house in Airdrie and it is disgusting at best...broken glass everywhere,litter, graffitti.....
If we employed foreign labour to keep the streets clean in Scotland....firstly we would need the whole population of Bangladesh and second they would get racially abused for doing it :wink: :wink: !!
We in the UK really have a lot to learn...

FlyingScotsman

Postby FlyingScotsman » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 9:38 pm

bluenose wrote:Flying Scotsman...go and check the average street in the UK or Scotland and you will see Singapore is miles cleaner.....the UK is filthy.....Scotland may have clean cupboards and carpets...but the streets are appalling???
I have a house in Airdrie and it is disgusting at best...broken glass everywhere,litter, graffitti.....
If we employed foreign labour to keep the streets clean in Scotland....firstly we would need the whole population of Bangladesh and second they would get racially abused for doing it :wink: :wink: !!
We in the UK really have a lot to learn...

I maintain there is a difference between litter free (Singapore) and CLEAN (not Singapore) Of course there is litter in the UK. I don't dispute it. Nobody is trying to convince anyone otherwise.
However, there is an Asian country which is squeaky clean and litter free and there is not a maid in sight. They do not have to repeatedly tell themselves how clean they are, nor do they tell the world how clean they are. They quietly clean up after themselves REPEAT after themselves. They never leave anywhere in a worse state than they found it, be it work, school, historical sight, sports venue or a home invitation. House holders collect bags of fallen leaves in autumn, their tourist spots are a delight to visit and public transport is driven by smart men in peaked caps and white gloves. It is a delight to visit such a country where the most humble piece of furniture is lovingly cared for and thoroughly cleaned at LEAST twice a year, if not more frequently. Where restaurant patrons are held in such regard that to find a dirty corner would be humiliating and bring dishonour to the owner.
SO, there is LITTER FREE, and SQUEAKY CLEAN, and there is trying to convince everyone you are a clean nation when a) you clearly are not and b) if left without maids or cleaners, Singapore, in my opinion, would be under piles of chicken bones within a week, windows and glass doors would have even more fingerprints and smears and drains would be even more blocked leading to yet more flooding.
Hey ho...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 10:31 pm

word.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 1:55 am

bluenose wrote:.....the UK is filthy......

Not entirely true, true of a good much of London where there is now an abundant rat population (four legged and two legged variety), along with over many pigeons and a few urban foxes. Although I can't speak for other cities since I haven't visited many of late.

However, a good many provincial towns and rural areas are still free from the such ignorance and are still pleasant to visit.
Last edited by Plavt on Mon, 28 Jun 2010 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 2:37 am

Plavt wrote:
bluenose wrote:.....the UK is filthy......

Not entirely true, a good much of London where there is now an abundant rat population (four legged and two legged variety), along with over many pigeons and a few urban foxes. I can't speak for other cities since I haven't visited many of late.

However, a good many provincial towns and rural areas are still free from the such ignorance and are still pleasant to visit.
Yes I an agree with Plavt on this, lots of villages are a delight to visit, and even the old market towns look great.