Singapore Expats

United States of Amereca: 1 in 7 can't read!

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
tkuanhoo

Post by tkuanhoo » Sat, 01 May 2010 1:10 am

They really cannot read … paragraphs (or) sentences that are connected," says Sheida White, a researcher at the U.S. Education Department.

The findings come from the department's National Assessment of Adult Literacy, a survey of more than 19,000 Americans ages 16 and older. The 2003 survey is a follow-up to a similar one in 1992 and for the first time lets the public see literacy rates as far down as county levels.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/ ... racy_N.htm

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sat, 01 May 2010 6:24 am

Newton's (as yet) unpublished Law of Statistics? For every statistic, there is an equal and opposing statistic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... eracy_rate

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 May 2010 9:58 am

Kinda makes Singapore and our Newest Troll look a bit like .........

Image :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 01 May 2010 1:26 pm

Americans can't read? Sms can't spell either... :P :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 May 2010 2:32 pm

:lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tkuanhoo

Post by tkuanhoo » Sat, 01 May 2010 2:49 pm

road.not.taken wrote:Newton's (as yet) unpublished Law of Statistics? For every statistic, there is an equal and opposing statistic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... eracy_rate
The UN probably uses a very generous definition of literacy. The US govt surveys are obviously more accurate.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 May 2010 3:01 pm

Why are they more accurate?

tkuanhoo

Post by tkuanhoo » Sat, 01 May 2010 3:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Why are they more accurate?
I don't know, you tell me, since you obviously have a habit of telling people (retarded) things.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 May 2010 3:31 pm

If you don't know, then why are you pasting it? Just showing your cut and paste capabilities and how little you actually know? Definitely a typical local school type, exam smart but clueless about what they actually said. :-|

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 01 May 2010 4:00 pm

tkuanhoo wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Why are they more accurate?
I don't know, you tell me, since you obviously have a habit of telling people (retarded) things.
Hey !!

You have not answer my queries on the PR renounce and coming back to SG to work . You said many of your friends did ?

I want to know and I need to know !! >please answer those questions on the other post

Thank you for your time

MS
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

tkuanhoo

Post by tkuanhoo » Sat, 01 May 2010 4:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you don't know, then why are you pasting it? Just showing your cut and paste capabilities and how little you actually know? Definitely a typical local school type, exam smart but clueless about what they actually said. :-|
I am trying to decide whether you are a human being, donkey or monkey. Your intellegiene profile doesn't fit that of a human. Donkey...well maybe. Most probably monkey. Are you smart enough to peel a banana?

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vbelle » Tue, 04 May 2010 11:41 am

you are obviously not smart enough to spell correctly...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 04 May 2010 11:59 am

vbelle wrote:you are obviously not smart enough to spell correctly...
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic69366.html
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Re: United States of Amereca: 1 in 7 can't read!

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 04 May 2010 5:39 pm

tkuanhoo wrote:They really cannot read … paragraphs (or) sentences that are connected," says Sheida White, a researcher at the U.S. Education Department.
Those pesky, silly Americans.
But then you prove yourself to be semi-literate at best . . .

One word of advice . . . if you're going to try to take the mickey out of someone it would be a good idea to proof-read your title.

'nuff said Image

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Sat, 22 May 2010 5:53 am

tkuanhoo wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you don't know, then why are you pasting it? Just showing your cut and paste capabilities and how little you actually know? Definitely a typical local school type, exam smart but clueless about what they actually said. :-|
I am trying to decide whether you are a human being, donkey or monkey. Your intellegiene profile doesn't fit that of a human. Donkey...well maybe. Most probably monkey. Are you smart enough to peel a banana?
The gods above wonder why you love picking a fight. Fracas ad infinitum, little boy. Grow up. You forgot that most Americans read their dollars over well. SMS is a senior so, show respect please, or try to juggle the balls. I mean, this is Singapore, right?