Singapore Expats Forum

United States of Amereca: 1 in 7 can't read!

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
tkuanhoo
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri, 30 Apr 2010

United States of Amereca: 1 in 7 can't read!

Postby tkuanhoo » Sat, 01 May 2010 1:10 am

They really cannot read … paragraphs (or) sentences that are connected," says Sheida White, a researcher at the U.S. Education Department.

The findings come from the department's National Assessment of Adult Literacy, a survey of more than 19,000 Americans ages 16 and older. The 2003 survey is a follow-up to a similar one in 1992 and for the first time lets the public see literacy rates as far down as county levels.


http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/ ... racy_N.htm

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007

Postby road.not.taken » Sat, 01 May 2010 6:24 am

Newton's (as yet) unpublished Law of Statistics? For every statistic, there is an equal and opposing statistic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... eracy_rate

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34273
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 May 2010 9:58 am

Kinda makes Singapore and our Newest Troll look a bit like .........

Image :lol:

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sat, 01 May 2010 1:26 pm

Americans can't read? Sms can't spell either... :P :lol:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34273
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 May 2010 2:32 pm

:lol:

tkuanhoo
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri, 30 Apr 2010

Postby tkuanhoo » Sat, 01 May 2010 2:49 pm

road.not.taken wrote:Newton's (as yet) unpublished Law of Statistics? For every statistic, there is an equal and opposing statistic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... eracy_rate


The UN probably uses a very generous definition of literacy. The US govt surveys are obviously more accurate.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34273
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 May 2010 3:01 pm

Why are they more accurate?

tkuanhoo
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri, 30 Apr 2010

Postby tkuanhoo » Sat, 01 May 2010 3:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Why are they more accurate?


I don't know, you tell me, since you obviously have a habit of telling people (retarded) things.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34273
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 May 2010 3:31 pm

If you don't know, then why are you pasting it? Just showing your cut and paste capabilities and how little you actually know? Definitely a typical local school type, exam smart but clueless about what they actually said. :-|

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3447
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 01 May 2010 4:00 pm

tkuanhoo wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Why are they more accurate?


I don't know, you tell me, since you obviously have a habit of telling people (retarded) things.


Hey !!

You have not answer my queries on the PR renounce and coming back to SG to work . You said many of your friends did ?

I want to know and I need to know !! >please answer those questions on the other post

Thank you for your time

MS
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

tkuanhoo
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri, 30 Apr 2010

Postby tkuanhoo » Sat, 01 May 2010 4:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you don't know, then why are you pasting it? Just showing your cut and paste capabilities and how little you actually know? Definitely a typical local school type, exam smart but clueless about what they actually said. :-|


I am trying to decide whether you are a human being, donkey or monkey. Your intellegiene profile doesn't fit that of a human. Donkey...well maybe. Most probably monkey. Are you smart enough to peel a banana?

User avatar
vbelle
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu, 23 Apr 2009
Location: singapore

Postby vbelle » Tue, 04 May 2010 11:41 am

you are obviously not smart enough to spell correctly...

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 04 May 2010 11:59 am

vbelle wrote:you are obviously not smart enough to spell correctly...


ftopic69366.html

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Re: United States of Amereca: 1 in 7 can't read!

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 04 May 2010 5:39 pm

tkuanhoo wrote:They really cannot read … paragraphs (or) sentences that are connected," says Sheida White, a researcher at the U.S. Education Department.



Those pesky, silly Americans.

United States of Amereca: 1 in 7 can't read!


But then you prove yourself to be semi-literate at best . . .


One word of advice . . . if you're going to try to take the mickey out of someone it would be a good idea to proof-read your title.
......................................................

'nuff said Image

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Sat, 22 May 2010 5:53 am

tkuanhoo wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you don't know, then why are you pasting it? Just showing your cut and paste capabilities and how little you actually know? Definitely a typical local school type, exam smart but clueless about what they actually said. :-|


I am trying to decide whether you are a human being, donkey or monkey. Your intellegiene profile doesn't fit that of a human. Donkey...well maybe. Most probably monkey. Are you smart enough to peel a banana?


The gods above wonder why you love picking a fight. Fracas ad infinitum, little boy. Grow up. You forgot that most Americans read their dollars over well. SMS is a senior so, show respect please, or try to juggle the balls. I mean, this is Singapore, right?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests