Singapore Expats Forum

Singaporean Gender Speech Pattern Differences

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

nakatago

Singaporean Gender Speech Pattern Differences

Postby nakatago » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:26 am

Since bitching about Singlish is as productive as appealing for a rejected PR application for a single Asian (snicker), let's try something else.

Do Singaporean men have different speech patterns or expressions used from Singaporean women? How about Malaysians, since a number of them sound similar? While I don't get to speak with Singaporeans much (I'm surrounded by Indonesians and Indians at work), I don't notice any subtle differences when I do.

gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Postby gravida » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:56 pm

I think women are more often using all these expressive patterns like alamak, lah, lor, ayo, blur-blur (I have no idea how to write most of it down) etc. On the other hand men tend to use longer phrases (it's interesting and somehow contradictory to general gender and talking believes) as
"like nobody's business".
What is more on the Singlish part and not related to the gender of the speaker - they tend to mix up the pronouns he/she.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 1:03 pm

gravida wrote:I think women are more often using all these expressive patterns like alamak, lah, lor, ayo, blur-blur

Interesting. I have just an opposite impression :)
->Nakatago, why do you actually expect such patterns? Strongly patriarchal structure of the society?

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 1:11 pm

x9200 wrote:
gravida wrote:I think women are more often using all these expressive patterns like alamak, lah, lor, ayo, blur-blur

Interesting. I have just an opposite impression :)
->Nakatago, why do you actually expect such patterns? Strongly patriarchal structure of the society?

Not that I expect them but I want to know if there are differences. For example, in Japan, I've been told that in some regions, women pronounce words differently.

Just a curiosity.

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Nath21 » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 3:31 pm

Are there any differences across the island geographically? Australia is quite rare in that acent is generally the same everywhere, I can tell by specific words people will say as to where they are from and QLD's talk with a slight twang, then consider the uk where 50km has you speaking a totally different accent. US has southern, eastern, mid west, western accents. I would have thought Singapore would be more on socio econmic or ethnic backgrounds.

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vbelle » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 3:46 pm

same la...all singaporeans what....

ahh....at first i thought its cute..then contagious....then annoying..then...its just Singapore!

tkuanhoo

Re: Singaporean Gender Speech Pattern Differences

Postby tkuanhoo » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 8:18 pm

nakatago wrote:Since bitching about Singlish is as productive as appealing for a rejected PR application for a single Asian (snicker), let's try something else.

Do Singaporean men have different speech patterns or expressions used from Singaporean women? How about Malaysians, since a number of them sound similar? While I don't get to speak with Singaporeans much (I'm surrounded by Indonesians and Indians at work), I don't notice any subtle differences when I do.

Yes it is obvious you don't speak to Singaporeans much or know much about Singapore.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 9:39 pm

tkuanhoo wrote: (mindless drivel)

troll harder.

tkuanhoo

Postby tkuanhoo » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 9:56 pm

nakatago wrote:
tkuanhoo wrote: (mindless drivel)

troll harder.

You are just a drug damaged brain who knows nothing about Singapore.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:06 pm

tkuanhoo wrote:(more mindless drivel)

hmmm...that's better. direct, baseless insult. although, it would have been better if you went further with your accusation. why don't you try again? how about listing some points how singapore is a much, much better than other countries. that seems to be a popular tactic. you may link sites with statistics or news articles if you wish. probably, also insert a line or two about ns if you're so inclined. and don't forget to make more assumptions so you could insult me further.

tkuanhoo

Postby tkuanhoo » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:24 pm

nakatago wrote:
tkuanhoo wrote:(more mindless drivel)

hmmm...that's better. direct, baseless insult. although, it would have been better if you went further with your accusation. why don't you try again? how about listing some points how singapore is a much, much better than other countries. that seems to be a popular tactic. you may link sites with statistics or news articles if you wish. probably, also insert a line or two about ns if you're so inclined. and don't forget to make more assumptions so you could insult me further.

You are so dumb. You are just a retard whom everyone stares and throw bananas at. And it will forever be like that. As for insulting you more, I will try to find the time. I am glad you liked it.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:28 pm

tkuanhoo wrote:(vitriol)

That was a tad bit better; well, the first part at least. However, finding the time to insult someone online kinda defeats the purpose of trolling. I'm sorry, but you fail.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:51 pm

nakatago, you don't need my help here. :lol:

This one's a lightweight. I doubt if it could punch it's way out of a wet paper bag. His last post almost gave his age away. A couple of more and it'll reveal itself. I've currently got it as either under 20 or a damned stupid adult. :P

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:nakatago, you don't need my help here. :lol:

not that i need your help but it's a slow night...

and as EADG said in the other thread,

EADG wrote:We got a live one here. This looks to be fun.

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:15 pm

Hey Naks,

The best person to answer your pondering about Singaporean Gender Speech Pattern Differences would be Kumar....The Singaporean King or Queen of Gender Bending :lol: