Singapore Expats

Al Jazeera English's Report on the Homeless in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nakatago

Al Jazeera English's Report on the Homeless in Singapore

Post by nakatago » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 8:35 am

So, have you heard about Al Jazeera's report and the ensuing reactions?

:-k
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 9:54 am

From Today Online.

http://www.todayonline.com/Hotnews/EDC1 ... ical--MCYS

One comment that is particularly telling and truthful is actually from a poster at the end of the article. When ever the government is backed into a corner they will never discuss but will always defend and/or obfuscate in order to not have to admit that maybe they were wrong. They are doing the same thing with Romania at the moment as well aren't they? Frankly speaking, especially about diplomats at the UN for example, is that if you enter the country on a diplomatic passport you are protected by diplomatic immunity until you leave on that passport or have that passport withdrawn by your country. You are on diplomatic status regardless whether or not your car has as flag or not. I might be wrong, but I know many countries have had their citizens escape persecution primarily due to being on Diplomatic Immunity for something done while,, not necessarily, on official duties.

:-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:01 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:but will always defend and/or obfuscate in order to not have to admit that maybe they were wrong.
Aaaah, of course. The Chewbacca Defense.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:10 am

Yup!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:50 am

That Romanian story, is what the Chinese saying calls 'digging for a bone in an egg'.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 5:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:From Today Online.

Are you allowed to link to this story? Is it not affiliated with the S T?
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I might be wrong, but I know many countries have had their citizens escape persecution primarily due to being on Diplomatic Immunity for something done while,, not necessarily, on official duties.
You're not wrong, but just because you can't be caught doesn't mean its right. Recall the fight Mayor Guilalani had with the diplomats in NY over unpaid parking tickets?
Especially as a diplomat you're a guest in that country and should try as far as possible to respect their way of life (just like we suggest that the visitors / members of the board behave). Diplomatic immunity is becoming an outdated concept - Russia has basically said it doesn't recognise it after a murder on their soil by a diplomat - I agree that diplomats should be allowed to behave in a similar way to which they do at home (ie drink alcohol in a dry country), but where the deed is illegal in their home country too - should that be allowed? The only reason the govt is going on about this is because of the E word and who the other country is. What if it had been a chinese or us diplomat?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 5:58 pm

carteki wrote:

Are you allowed to link to this story? Is it not affiliated with the Daily Birdcage Liner?
The Today Paper is link owned by MediaCorp (The TV station) and not the owners of the Daily Birdcage Liner, who's name shall not be mentioned here. More than one way to skin a cat. And, it will help drive readers to the competition as well! But if they want to cut their nose off to spite their face, I reckon that they can do it. All it takes is a letter from a lawyer to cease and desist and it's a done thing. :(

tkuanhoo

Post by tkuanhoo » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 8:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
carteki wrote:

Are you allowed to link to this story? Is it not affiliated with the Daily Birdcage Liner?
The Today Paper is link owned by MediaCorp (The TV station) and not the owners of the Daily Birdcage Liner, who's name shall not be mentioned here. More than one way to skin a cat. And, it will help drive readers to the competition as well! But if they want to cut their nose off to spite their face, I reckon that they can do it. All it takes is a letter from a lawyer to cease and desist and it's a done thing. :(
What is daily birdcage liner and why can't you link to newspaper websites? You don't make any sense.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 9:33 pm

tkuanhoo wrote: What is daily birdcage liner and why can't you link to newspaper websites? You don't make any sense.
Well, it would seem you are the one who isn't making much sense with all your silly one-liners. We have had a decent troll to play with for a couple of weeks now. At first I though you might be one, but I can see I was sadly mistaken. Had you bothered to read the various stickies on this board you would not have even had to ask the question. Oh, didn't you notice, you are the only one who asked? :roll: Does not say too much about you powers of observation does it. Ah well, maybe we'll have better luck next time. I can't be bothered to even reply to any more of them as they don't have any or very little intelligence behind them, so a waste of my energy. Sorry...... :-|

tkuanhoo

Post by tkuanhoo » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 9:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
tkuanhoo wrote: What is daily birdcage liner and why can't you link to newspaper websites? You don't make any sense.
Well, it would seem you are the one who isn't making much sense with all your silly one-liners. We have had a decent troll to play with for a couple of weeks now. At first I though you might be one, but I can see I was sadly mistaken. Had you bothered to read the various stickies on this board you would not have even had to ask the question. Oh, didn't you notice, you are the only one who asked? :roll: Does not say too much about you powers of observation does it. Ah well, maybe we'll have better luck next time. I can't be bothered to even reply to any more of them as they don't have any or very little intelligence behind them, so a waste of my energy. Sorry...... :-|
I've read the stickies. They just mention "don't post links to newsites" but no reasons are given.

Then you talk about being sued for linking to newsites??

You don't make sense.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:13 pm

I don't need to. All you need to know is what's in the stickies. :P