Singapore Expats

Swimming Pool etiquette

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 4:50 pm

x9200 wrote:With pretty peculiar focus of this discussing I am a bit scared looking at this strange brownish mass at the back that seems to be about to enter the pool. :?
fake falls. fake rocks' color sure is shitty.

get it? eh? eh? nudge-nudge. eh? nudge-nudge...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sat, 01 May 2010 6:01 pm

er, that's a Baby Ruth, if you're with me here...
carteki wrote:
Splatted wrote:
Don't do a dump in the pool
You could try the mars-bar-in-the-pool thing and then you'll have it all to yourself!
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sat, 01 May 2010 6:10 pm

You caught that too I see...
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hey dazzlebabe, you're Singaporean aren't you?
Nath21 wrote:I must admit after being here now a year and a half I have got used to ....the rampant disease Low Situational Awareness (LSA)
There's another phenomenon, we call it "SMPs", Slow Moving People - in no hurry except when there's an elevator, bus, or other queue involved.

Look for the spreading out across the entire width of the sidewalk, lack of peripheral vision for others' space, open mouths, dazed blank stares, fascinating conversations.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

aster
Manager
Manager

Re: Swimming Pool etiquette

Post by aster » Sat, 01 May 2010 8:25 pm

Nath21 wrote:the rampant disease Low Situational Awareness (LSA) in Singapore which sees people keeping to the left, keeping to the right, running into you without looking, stopping short without any notice, taking up the whole pavement in a group and refusing to let you walk on the pavement at all without knocking into them, but just generally no consideration for the reality they are sharing with other people
It helps when you realise that they're not out there to run into you in particular - it's just the way some people here are. Plus they always seem to wiggle out of the way at the last second so it's not like you're going to slam into someone.

And if you ever see a group lazily blocking the entire width of the sidewalk, never pick sides (left or right) but just go straight down the middle. :)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 01 May 2010 10:50 pm

EADG wrote:You caught that too I see...
Nath21 wrote:I must admit after being here now a year and a half I have got used to ....the rampant disease Low Situational Awareness (LSA)
There's another phenomenon, we call it "SMPs", Slow Moving People - in no hurry except when there's an elevator, bus, or other queue involved.

Look for the spreading out across the entire width of the sidewalk, lack of peripheral vision for others' space, open mouths, dazed blank stares, fascinating conversations.
to be fair to singaporeans, SMP's not only in singapore, but across south east asia.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sun, 02 May 2010 11:11 am

nakatago wrote:
EADG wrote:You caught that too I see...

to be fair to singaporeans, SMP's not only in singapore, but across south east asia.
Indeed . . . here in Malaysia it is mainly the Malays . . . especially the fat-arsed women, that's what you get when you eat all day and seldom move.

They will simply slowly glide right in front of your feet . . .

Supermarket etiquette . . . again the Malays and their entitlement and blurr thing . . . they'll just stop the trolley anywhere and walk off to look for what they need/want . . .

Honestly, they should have stayed in the kampung as they are not made for city life

'nuff said Image

observer
Regular
Regular

Post by observer » Sun, 02 May 2010 12:08 pm

carteki wrote: There is no rule that says either is right - if I recall correctly in competition the floating lane borders are on either side of the strip of black running along the floor (can anyone confirm / deny)
You recall correctly. In competition, you swim "on" the lines on the floor.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 02 May 2010 2:43 pm

observer wrote:
carteki wrote: There is no rule that says either is right - if I recall correctly in competition the floating lane borders are on either side of the strip of black running along the floor (can anyone confirm / deny)
You recall correctly. In competition, you swim "on" the lines on the floor.
But then, aren't the lines placed differently? It should be clear from the pool itself which one is right.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 May 2010 3:49 pm

I believe, in competition lanes, there are still floating lane dividers as well as the centre of the lane line painted on the bottom. This helps to keep the swimmer centered in the lane. But the lanes are still demarcated by a line. if there aren't any floating lane boundaries, then the bottom lines are construed to be the lane dividers and not the centre of the lanes. The easiest was to settle it is to look and the two outermost lines. if they is only about half a lane width between the line and the pool side, it's the centre of the lane, otherwise, it's the lane divider. Easy.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Mon, 03 May 2010 9:57 am

er not Singapore Citizen but am a Law/Rule abiding Citizen if that helps.

And SMS, are you trying to start something with me by asking my nationality? What has that got to do with rules? Is it because I said the family in question is from the US?
Just me

DazzleBabe

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 03 May 2010 12:48 pm

dazzlebabe wrote:
And SMS, are you trying to start something with me by asking my nationality?
Don't worry, SMS likes Indians

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 May 2010 1:49 pm

dazzlebabe wrote:er not Singapore Citizen but am a Law/Rule abiding Citizen if that helps.

And SMS, are you trying to start something with me by asking my nationality? What has that got to do with rules? Is it because I said the family in question is from the US?
I thought you were a Singaporean because of your response.

The local penchant, when caught at a disadvantage, is to never admit you might be wrong or even slightly in error, but to divert the original statement into another direction in order to divert attention from that fact. You made no mention of "rules" when you stated your case initially. Now you are adding even more "facts" to bolster or divert people from your initial statement. It's a local trait, so I was hazarding a guess as to your nationality. It doesn't matter to me if you are from Venus, cause men are from Mars anyway! :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Mon, 03 May 2010 3:38 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: The local penchant, when caught at a disadvantage, is to never admit you might be wrong or even slightly in error, but to divert the original statement into another direction in order to divert attention from that fact.
Would make amazing politicians, eh?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 May 2010 4:09 pm

They had a good teacher! It's only in the past couple of years that he's (partially :wink: ) admitted he got some of it wrong.

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Tue, 04 May 2010 9:04 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
dazzlebabe wrote:er not Singapore Citizen but am a Law/Rule abiding Citizen if that helps.

I thought you were a Singaporean because of your response.

The local penchant, when caught at a disadvantage, is to never admit you might be wrong or even slightly in error, but to divert the original statement into another direction in order to divert attention from that fact. You made no mention of "rules" when you stated your case initially. Now you are adding even more "facts" to bolster or divert people from your initial statement. It's a local trait, so I was hazarding a guess as to your nationality. It doesn't matter to me if you are from Venus, cause men are from Mars anyway! :wink:
Well, basic condo pools in Singapore (in the 5 that we've been in 12 years!) state no glassware or food in pools. Maybe in the 50s, the rules were not that strict when you were in one :P
Just me

DazzleBabe