Singapore Expats

Gordon Brown UK puts his foot in it!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Thu, 13 May 2010 4:34 pm

ksl wrote:
anneteoh wrote:
What's your criteria for a developed country?
Developed or not developed doesn't really matter.
What matters is a relative safe stress free environment
Equality would be nice

Development would be the destruction of the aristocratic noblemen, that only care about themselves and their wealth..Those days are dying though they still have privileges that others do not have at present.

Evolvement, gradual growth, evolution, maturation; progression with out dated laws and living in the past, is not development at all.

The UK isn't meant to be organised, it is meant to be an obstacle course, with catch 22 for everything. That is not progressive. Things need simplifying to improve.

Though with Cameron and the libs it maybe possible, to improve things though i doubt it, becuase there is no money available.
You make it all so funny. lol You do sound like a wise Dao. I can see how you're chummy with SMS - he's an old dear, really.
But back to the big changes in Britain - the pair of them, Nick and Dave, look very young and serious at their reforms and paying the debts. They've instilled a sense of stability, though some political commentators predicted Britian wil rock on. Like you said, lol, it won't be Britain if there's no muddle esp big in Brown's time perhaps.
For a start VAT is to be increased from 17.50 to 20.00 in a few months' time. What's the VAT in Singapore? I'm wondering if it'll save for me to live out there for some time.
Last edited by anneteoh on Thu, 13 May 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 13 May 2010 4:38 pm

anneteoh wrote:As far as I know, no one ever gets caught. There's a serious amount of money laundering just reported today. My, sounds like we're trying to help run Britian. Plavt, the Queen should have you knighted.
Plenty of people get caught but most never make the news. So nice you think I should be knighted sms is probably polishing up his shotgun. 8-[

geerang
Regular
Regular

Post by geerang » Thu, 13 May 2010 4:39 pm

Cameron and Clegg will form a better government than Brown's.

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Thu, 13 May 2010 4:44 pm

Plavt wrote:
anneteoh wrote:As far as I know, no one ever gets caught. There's a serious amount of money laundering just reported today. My, sounds like we're trying to help run Britian. Plavt, the Queen should have you knighted.
Plenty of people get caught but most never make the news. So nice you think I should be knighted sms is probably polishing up his shotgun. 8-[
Glad you didn't object to HM. SMS's not likely to commit suicide or shoot anyone, even me. Might be a present he's got for someone.

geerang
Regular
Regular

Post by geerang » Thu, 13 May 2010 4:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:For a moment there I could have sworn you were talking about Singapore! Actually, it's exactly the same if you think about it, except the WP holder here is allowed in by the Government but with heavy restrictions about staying here. Doing what? What local either won't do, or charge exorbitant rates to do. Same game, different jerseys! :-|
That is not fair. Singaporeans are much more industrious. They don't sit around, refusing to work, living on government payouts.

Come to think of it, the entire Singapore runs on foreign workers like yourself. People like you sweep the roads, pour cement into buildings, look after Singaporean kids as maids etc.

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Thu, 13 May 2010 6:01 pm

aster wrote:
anneteoh wrote:
aster wrote:I actually read somewhere that legal immigrants to the UK (as in intra-European migration) are apparently the only group who add to "the system" while the rest takes money out.

The real problem is spend, spend and yet more gov't spend. Hang on, isn't that how Greece got into trouble? :)
Nice thought but I wouldn't envisage the EE'peans coming here to work hard and fill our treasury pot.
I gather there're many loopholes here - leniency or slackness is the rule of thumb. Most shops don't even bother to give receipts unless you want them. It's green and saves paper; but how can the govt keep track of business gains and taxation if there's nothing in the accounts? Is anyone surprised expenditure and incomes don't balance up?
Of course they are coming to work hard, why else would they sign up for those jobs? Just like people coming to Singapore - they come here for jobs, not to sit around and daydream... I trust the same applies to you and I. :)

As for filling the treasury pot, that is just a side-effect of what's going on. Numbers don't lie - they are the ones adding to the system while your own abuse it and drain more than they put it...

As for the state of the economy, ask Gordon. :) He seems to be following Greece's example with all the over-spending...
Oversimplifying gets nowhere near the truth. Immigrants don't have to sign up for jobs before they come. More often, the able ones stay at home and work; it's the jobless, the unskilled, single parents with children, families of 4-5 kids etc who come as the benefits in Britain spread round. Investigative reports in Calais proved with first hand accounts, how illegal immigrants have their own grapevines promoting Britain as a 'good place' with kind people and social welfare for all in need. So many of them will stay temporarily in Austria, Germany , Sweden etc but Britain is their destination. Something to be proud of, if not for that devastingly huge debt.

There really isn't a 'they' and 'us' culture in Brtain these post-modernist times. But I had meet a few EE'peans who seem to think the world of themselves and some of them put off some people here with their superior attitudes. Surely, if they're paying so much to Britain, it'll be far better for them to help their own countries develop since they're so nationalistic? I'm not personally against EE or any other immigrant as long as they are good people and contribute to society. What I asked for was selection based on these criteria, not closed doors.

As for 'draining'... you don't get it, do you? There are world -wide causes for the state Britain's in. But she will get back on top form so don't despise the weak and the temporarily maimed. Try to think of Jesus and Lazarus. lol. No thanks for your sympathy and blame.

I don't know what you mean by 'your own' as I'm an internationalist. It's a great insult you put on the Brits, most of whom work extremely hard. This is not a dossers' colony as you put it. Many of those claiming benefits were made jobless and they have to return to work after a period of time. Many immigrants get housed, social welfare etc when they arrive whilst many Brits with big families live in shoeboxes and work and pay tax. You have slapped them in the face of their hospitality. If you care to be reminded, many young Brits are dying in a fruitless war in Afghanistan.

Does any country need foreign wokers? Apart from the needs, it's the fashion to be multicultural. I suspect that's why the developed world wants to be perceived as modern and keeping up with America, Singapore, Britain, Russia etc. Does your country have foreign workers? Do you stereotype them all or classify them according to the needs of your country?
Last edited by anneteoh on Thu, 13 May 2010 6:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Thu, 13 May 2010 6:14 pm

geerang wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:For a moment there I could have sworn you were talking about Singapore! Actually, it's exactly the same if you think about it, except the WP holder here is allowed in by the Government but with heavy restrictions about staying here. Doing what? What local either won't do, or charge exorbitant rates to do. Same game, different jerseys! :-|
That is not fair. Singaporeans are much more industrious. They don't sit around, refusing to work, living on government payouts.

Come to think of it, the entire Singapore runs on foreign workers like yourself. People like you sweep the roads, pour cement into buildings, look after Singaporean kids as maids etc.
Don't be childish Geerang. Try to put the chips on your shoulders into facts. I was a foreign worker , lol, in Singapore and I know the establishment I worked for, exploited whatever skills I brought. It's futile to compare who work hardest, unless you have a paranoia of being classified a bummer; which I hope you don't. But I was aware that while many of my S'poean colleagues were extremely civil and kind, some had resentments like inflated noses on them.
Singapore's full of various types of foreign workers but they're all humans and humans don't insult other humans or they get it back.
Can we ever have peace on earth?

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Thu, 13 May 2010 6:19 pm

geerang wrote:Cameron and Clegg will form a better government than Brown's.
What made you think so? Isn't everything dependent on circumstances, to some extent? If you knew the details, in the conflict between the Exchequer and No.10, leading up to the debts, you wouldn't find it so inciminating on Brown.

geerang
Regular
Regular

Post by geerang » Thu, 13 May 2010 6:55 pm

anneteoh wrote:
geerang wrote:

Don't be childish Geerang. Try to put the chips on your shoulders into facts. I was a foreign worker , lol, in Singapore and I know the establishment I worked for, exploited whatever skills I brought. It's futile to compare who work hardest, unless you have a paranoia of being classified a bummer; which I hope you don't. But I was aware that while many of my S'poean colleagues were extremely civil and kind, some had resentments like inflated noses on them.
Singapore's full of various types of foreign workers but they're all humans and humans don't insult other humans or they get it back.
Can we ever have peace on earth?
I don't understand what you are trying to say. I don't have any chips on my shoulders and it is a fact that Singapore uses an army of expatriates to build constructions, work as retail assistants and work as live in maids, jobs that Singaporeans shun. It is a fact?

What is "resentment like inflated noses"?
anneteoh wrote:
What made you think so? Isn't everything dependent on circumstances, to some extent? If you knew the details, in the conflict between the Exchequer and No.10, leading up to the debts, you wouldn't find it so inciminating on Brown.
Brown hasn't done a good job. I believe Cameron and Clegg are much younger, creative and more capable. Personally I like Clegg a lot so I might be biased :)
Sgporean in France for one year master degree. Back to Spore by 2011!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 May 2010 10:13 pm

Our newest posts seems pretty dense for doing a Masters degree. I personally think he our troll from last week with a new persona. If he's not, they are almost twins.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 13 May 2010 10:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: If he's not, they are almost twins.
or the gahmen has really done a very good job at social engineering the past generations!

or both.
Last edited by nakatago on Thu, 13 May 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Thu, 13 May 2010 10:17 pm

:-|
geerang wrote:

Can we ever have peace on earth?[/quote]
geerang wrote:
I don't understand what you are trying to say. I don't have any chips on my shoulders and it is a fact that Singapore uses an army of expatriates to build constructions, work as retail assistants and work as live in maids, jobs that Singaporeans shun. It is a fact?

Good. It just read, from the way you put it, that you're slotting expats into the blue collar category - 'doing work no Singaporeans would want to do.' As you can read, I had experienced Singaporeans who resented expats working there with higher salaries etc so they try to put the expats down. But if you didn't mean that, then you need to put your words in the right order.
However, I notice the remarks have got mixed up - so it's rather confusing as to who said what! A cyber muddle - for people who think that computers can replace teachers and they can dominate the world through networking, think again.
What is "resentment like inflated noses"?
geerang wrote: Brown hasn't done a good job. I believe Cameron and Clegg are much younger, creative and more capable. Personally I like Clegg a lot so I might be biased :)

It seems like they've made a good start. Let's hope they can work miracles so I can buy my condo in Singapore.

geerang
Regular
Regular

Post by geerang » Fri, 14 May 2010 1:50 am

anneteoh wrote: Good. It just read, from the way you put it, that you're slotting expats into the blue collar category - 'doing work no Singaporeans would want to do.' As you can read, I had experienced Singaporeans who resented expats working there with higher salaries etc so they try to put the expats down. But if you didn't mean that, then you need to put your words in the right order.
An expatriate is someone, like you, who leaves his country to work in another. Look up the dictionary for the meaning if you are still unsure. There are many expatriates in Singapore. Some come canada, india, etc and god knows where. Some are blue collared, some are white. Singapore does have a lot of blue collared expatriates, much more than white collared ones.

By the way, what is the conflict between the exchequer and no 10? I thought both were under brown's control? Anyway, I still like Nick Clegg the most.
Sgporean in France for one year master degree. Back to Spore by 2011!