Singapore Expats Forum

Gordon Brown UK puts his foot in it!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Gordon Brown UK puts his foot in it!

Postby ksl » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 9:56 pm

What a day for politics, tax on pensioners and a frustrated Brown

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/poli ... 649308.stm

The woman gets to know what was said!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/poli ... 649012.stm

Brown apologises

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/poli ... 649200.stm

What an exciting day for Gordon Brown, poor bugger was set up, like a lamb to the slaughter :roll: Though it is typical of the divide of political party members & their working class constituents.

How long is a piece of sting is comparable to UK politics, only one main party since Guy Fawkes was convicted
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes

A legend for all Children with a dream for a better UK

In 18th-century England, it became a tradition for children to display a grotesque effigy of Fawkes, termed a "guy", as part of the Bonfire Night celebration.[24] As part of the tradition, they would often stand on streetcorners begging for "a penny for the guy".[25] The "guy" would be burned on a bonfire at the end of the evening. As a consequence, "guy" came to mean a man of odd appearance. Subsequently, in American English, "guy" lost any pejorative connotation, becoming a simple reference for any man.[5]

[edit] Popularity
Fawkes was ranked 30th in the 2002 list of the 100 Greatest Britons, sponsored by the BBC and voted for by the public.[26] He was also included in a list of the 50 greatest people from Yorkshire.[27] The Guy Fawkes River and thus Guy Fawkes River National Park in northern New South Wales, Australia were named after Fawkes by explorer John Oxley, who, like Fawkes, was from North Yorkshire. In the Galápagos Islands a collection of two crescent-shaped islands and two small rocks northwest of Santa Cruz Island, are called Isla Guy Fawkes.[28]

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Gordon Brown UK puts his foot in it!

Postby raden888 » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:21 pm

David Cameron for PM! :D I'm betting on a hung parliament.

ksl wrote:
The Guy Fawkes River and thus Guy Fawkes River National Park in northern New South Wales, Australia were named after Fawkes by explorer John Oxley,

I suppose Mr Oxley failed to realise or didn't care that the area is known by the local banbai mob as Martiam.

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 2:24 am

I wonder if Labour could maybe, just maybe, finish third in the election. :)

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 2:51 am

raden888 wrote:David Cameron for PM! :D I'm betting on a hung parliament.

6 billion out of the economy, I'm sure that will do it a lot of good! :o Hung parliament yes, let's hope we don't run out of rope. :P :lol:

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 4:10 am

KSL

I heard it on the radio, GB call the lady Sue a #$%$* and got caught on tape.

Damn!! he has to spend 40 min with her to apologise !!

lol !!!
MS
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 5:01 am

Plavt wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:call the lady Sue a #$%$*

:???: :???:

I actually heard the transcript on the BBC website; he said: "wish they had never put me with that woman, it was a disaster" and later referred to her as 'bigoted.'

Don't know what you have been hearing or is this a prank?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 5:08 am

Plavt

Sounds like he calls her a bitch, my bad , as I heard it while driving this morning. I was shocked !!
Did not read the website transcript though.

:)
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 9:26 am

Funny thing is that right after the interview she spoke to the media and said that she was convinced, and that she would vote for Brown. Then they dropped the "bad news" on her...

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:41 am

raden888 wrote:The Guy Fawkes River and thus Guy Fawkes River National Park in northern New South Wales, Australia were named after Fawkes by explorer John Oxley,

I suppose Mr Oxley failed to realise or didn't care that the area is known by the local banbai mob as Martiam.

And? Spoils go to the victor . . . and are returned by the PC brigade later on in history . . . with interest.

So, Brown was set up. He's going to lose whether or not that gaffe was made.

Coalition government . . . even less decision-making. Let's watch as the island slowly sinks into the sea while assorted third-world detritus still believes it is the nirvana of free money

'nuff said Image

manutdfan
Regular
Regular

Postby manutdfan » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:57 am

Plavt wrote:
raden888 wrote:David Cameron for PM! :D I'm betting on a hung parliament.

6 billion out of the economy, I'm sure that will do it a lot of good! :o Hung parliament yes, let's hope we don't run out of rope. :P :lol:

A tax cut of 6 billion isn't taking money out of the economy, it's leaving it in the economy.

Of course, in the great scheme things of 6 billion is still just the rounding error on the budget.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:35 am

manutdfan wrote:
A tax cut of 6 billion isn't taking money out of the economy, it's leaving it in the economy.

Of course, in the great scheme things of 6 billion is still just the rounding error on the budget.

Don't be so damned ridiculous if you take 6 billion out of the economy people lose their jobs (e.g: teachers, police, local authority workers). Result: more people on the dole - increased welfare budget. The UK is already paying out more in benefits than it receives in taxes. Rounding an error on the budget - you don't know what you are talking about.

manutdfan
Regular
Regular

Postby manutdfan » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 1:25 pm

Plavt wrote:
manutdfan wrote:

Don't be so damned ridiculous if you take 6 billion out of the economy people lose their jobs (e.g: teachers, police, local authority workers). Result: more people on the dole - increased welfare budget. The UK is already paying out more in benefits than it receives in taxes. Rounding an error on the budget - you don't know what you are talking about.

Oh I don't know - one local council apparently spent 100k on 200 plastic penquins - from the stories my Singaporean wife (who was working in the NHS) tells me there's plenty of room for cost savings without actually sacking teachers.

But as for being damn ridiculous - I'm not the one equating public spending with "the economy".

And as for the rounding error comment - the total UK budget spend was of the order of 700bn pounds. The current deficit is of the order of over 150 bn pounds. The 6bn "cuts" in taxes are small beer, and is in fact the rounding error you can get by adding up the budgets of all the government departments to the nearest billion.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 3:32 pm

I vote for the PAP to take over UK problems! :lol: Start by ending welfare benefits, and sending the foreigners home! The EU is totally screwed up!

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 3:40 pm

manutdfan wrote:Oh I don't know - one local council apparently spent 100k on 200 plastic penquins -.

Trying to be funny by quoting one incident, or an incident which may or may not be accurate, doesn't help your standpoint

'nuff said Image

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 3:56 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
manutdfan wrote:Oh I don't know - one local council apparently spent 100k on 200 plastic penquins -.

Trying to be funny by quoting one incident, or an incident which may or may not be accurate, doesn't help your standpoint

Actually I was thinking more about the last 200 years of no progress :wink: hence Guy Fawkes! Rather than 200 plastic penguins, and one local council.

There is a great deal of waste in the councils and my old friend JH, who is a councilor, takes a great deal of pride in using the privy purse to visit London on their Council trips. I'm pretty sure much abuse of funds does occur, but not so much has the constituents themselves abuse the system.

I must also point out, that it is those that deserve help, that do not get help. The documentation to be filled in is engineered in a way, that only telling lies can make anyone qualify for welfare help.

Its that much of a joke and to pick on pensioners and the genuine sick to save money is a scandal!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/ ... -hospitals

I was so shocked when i went back to Lancaster to discover that the Royal Albert Mental Institution, was sold off, for 1 million pound, a token sum I would say, when the estate was well worth 5 times that amount. Its now a Muslim boarding school. Many institutions have been systematically closed since the 90's, and the mentally ill end up on the street or in prison. Everything British has been sold off from industry to heritage

http://www.unlockingthepast.org.uk/inde ... t_pages/9/