Singapore Expats

Newbie needs help! Country / social clubs?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
nksyd

Newbie needs help! Country / social clubs?

Post by nksyd » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 9:29 am

Hi, I'm looking at relocating from Sydney with my partner who's just accepted a banking job in Singapore.

I've been told it's quite hard to find work as a dependant and, if truth be told, I'm not too fussed about having a few months at leisure if need be. However, I don't want to spend my days sitting around the house so have been told it's good to join a country club. My partner's company will pay for our membership but is there any recommended ones to check out?

I'm in my early 30s so don't want anything too stuffy but definitely want one with lots of sporting facilities and am also keen to look at the polo club as I ride horses. A good social scene is a must.

We're hoping to live in district 10 or surrounds so not sure if this would have any bearing on clubs?

Also, i'll be bringing a 3 year old labrador so any tips on dog parks would be great too!

Any tips whatsoever would be really appreciated :)

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:01 am

Clubs can be good but really only if you live close enough to use them frequently I think. I've known people who've been members of the American the British clubs and they seem like quite nice places to hang out for the afternoon/evening and they also do the special things from back home that you don't really get anywhere else in Singapore like Thanksgiving for the American Club and Guy Fawkes Night for the Brit Club, so if you join one connected to your home country it can be good for that.

I think some of them also have a minimum spend per month so that's another reason to live fairly close, so that you keep going. They're especially useful if you live in a house as they have the facilities that you'd get in a condo (pool, gym, tennis etc), but if you already live in a condo you might find that you don't use the club as much because of that.

I've been to the Brit and the American clubs for lunch (members can sign people in at certain times) and they didn't seem too stuffy. I think the Tanglin club is posher and I heard that the Island Country Club is one of the most exclusive on the island (someone told me you have to get voted in, but I don't know how true that is)

Dog parks - the only ones I know of are in Katong Park on the East Coast and one in West Coast park, but I haven't got a dog so I'm not very clued up on the parks - there might be more of them. If you don't have a car, you have to pre-book a cab apparently to take your dog in it as Muslim cab drivers won't carry dogs, so living near an open space/park would be an advantage so you don't have to keep booking cabs.

nksyd

Post by nksyd » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:41 am

Thanks BigSis - I guess I need to get a map and actually work out where the clubs are in relation to the area I want to live. I know the Polo Club is at Mount Pleasant but I can't seem to find out where that is?!

Ideally I will find a house (if affordable) so will need facilities of a club but also want to join a gym too so need to take that into consideration.

The Tanglin club has been recommended to me and I definitely want to check out the British Club too (I'm aussie/pommie) and also have heard of an Australia/NZ social club that looks good for bar crawls and Melbourne Cup events etc.

Re: dogs, thanks for the tip about taxis! In Sydney, no cabbies will take a dog (unless a guide dog of course..)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 5:54 pm

I believe there is a dog run in Bishan Park as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 6:01 pm

nksyd wrote:Thanks BigSis - I guess I need to get a map and actually work out where the clubs are in relation to the area I want to live. I know the Polo Club is at Mount Pleasant but I can't seem to find out where that is?!
Google maps has pretty good information on singapore and can also be used for commuting directions.

This site also has its own maps (see toolbar waaaay up the page).
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 9:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I believe there is a dog run in Bishan Park as well.
yup there is sms. we take our labretriever missy over there