Singapore Expats Forum

bad experience with service offered in the classified ads

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

bad experience with service offered in the classified ads

Postby bigfilsing » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 9:46 pm

SO being a regular visitor ( well at least to the comp tech bit) i decided recently to use the classified ads

Rang up a company offering services and then emailed them. They promised lots of things and didn't deliver on any of them. Fortunately no financial loss but still. Do i let them still advertise and let others wlk into this sham ???

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:06 pm

Will it impact your own reputation? If not, then diss them anyway! :wink: Just to let other be aware!

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:15 pm

name and shame?

teck21
Chatter
Chatter

Postby teck21 » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 9:52 am

Which is why I would never ever use any service that is advertised in the classifieds.

IMO, advertising there means they are rubbish. They have done shoddy work for or somehow scammed every single one of their clients, and tehrefore have to constantly fish for new ones.

Especially the renovation contractors, plumbers, aircon servicing and the IT services. Companies offering these services are round every corner, and many of them never ever advertise.

My own renovation contractor does a roaring business, and he has never advertised or tried in any way to get his firm's name out. His business is strictly referral, and even walk-ins get turned away when they have too much on their plates. Which is pretty much always unless one is lucky.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 3:48 pm

teck21 wrote:Which is why I would never ever use any service that is advertised in the classifieds.

IMO, advertising there means they are rubbish. They have done shoddy work for or somehow scammed every single one of their clients, and tehrefore have to constantly fish for new ones.

Especially the renovation contractors, plumbers, aircon servicing and the IT services. Companies offering these services are round every corner, and many of them never ever advertise.

My own renovation contractor does a roaring business, and he has never advertised or tried in any way to get his firm's name out. His business is strictly referral, and even walk-ins get turned away when they have too much on their plates. Which is pretty much always unless one is lucky.

Its great when you can get a referral - but especially for newbies this is really difficult as your friends are in the (off the?) same boat as you. The forum members do a great deal - note sms's useful links - but they can't do it all. I've had good service from a classifieds advertiser - but then again it wouldn't have hurt me if he was bad - you've just got to decide how much you have to lose and whether it is worth the risk.

newinvestor

Postby newinvestor » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 4:10 pm

Do you mean the classified ads at this forum? I think you can at least post your comments there to tell other people about it. We cannot change what has happened but we may help discourage bad business operation.

:D

x9200

Postby x9200 » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 8:26 pm

teck21 wrote:Which is why I would never ever use any service that is advertised in the classifieds.

Me too (in general) but not necessarily because I think it is full of scam and unreliable contractors/sellers of any sort but I prefer to have some kind of indication of reliability regardless of the source. Thanks to the places like this forum or like Ebay for some other stuff at least a small something can be worked out.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Sun, 02 May 2010 3:06 am

SO my name and shame post got deleted :mad:

SO much for a forum !

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 May 2010 11:48 am

It wasn't me!

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Sun, 02 May 2010 5:00 pm

I didn't think it was SMS.

SO if anybody is interested and considering using the "house moving" services advertised in the forum classifieds PM me and i'll share my experience with one of the advertisers :roll:

chuub

lessons

Postby chuub » Sun, 02 May 2010 5:26 pm

Well, i understand what you mean and for one, i stand strong on not believeing all of the classified ads but, it is also our duty to screen them.

There are many chances of people getting to me but i try not to let them, as much as i can. Taking advantage of petty little things are very common and if we have to remember that, that will hurt me a lot more than them.

Word of advice, rem to ask them in their face and that will be hard for them to take advantage of you.

And a word of advice for you my well-meaning friend, please read the stickies regarding advertising and soliciting (MOE vetted or not) and you are not allowed to refer to advertisements place in our Classifieds Section of the site in the body of you posts - moderator