Singapore Expats Forum

New phone scam??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 9:47 am

QRM wrote:which gives me an idea maybe I should set up my own premium line number and give it to these people who ask for my details, the dosh will start rolling in.

Definitely like this idea! Where do you start?

x9200

Postby x9200 » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:41 am

dazzlebabe wrote:Yes, you can have the option to not be listed. We have made our number private when we set up our new home line. Our registered name and number will not be printed in the residential book and will not be listed online.

No, we were not given such option when we got registered nor when we transferred the number to a new location (meaning having a 2nd number with redirection). Nobody informed us about this. Period. Putting it once again in bold face fonts will not change it. I also checked the YP website yesterday and I did not even see a place where I could read about this. Maybe because I was searching for 5 mins only.

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:35 pm

x9200 wrote:
dazzlebabe wrote:Yes, you can have the option to not be listed. We have made our number private when we set up our new home line. Our registered name and number will not be printed in the residential book and will not be listed online.

No, we were not given such option when we got registered nor when we transferred the number to a new location (meaning having a 2nd number with redirection). Nobody informed us about this. Period. Putting it once again in bold face fonts will not change it. I also checked the YP website yesterday and I did not even see a place where I could read about this. Maybe because I was searching for 5 mins only.

The bold face is to tell you that you have the option and not pointing out anything else.....Did you even ask? We did and we got it! Don't you know, this is a place where if you don't ask, you don't get.... get it? :P
Just me

DazzleBabe

x9200

Postby x9200 » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:50 pm

dazzlebabe wrote:The bold face is to tell you that you have the option and not pointing out anything else.....Did you even ask? We did and we got it! Don't you know, this is a place where if you don't ask, you don't get.... get it? :P

No, because it was like 9 years ago and at that time I was still naively believing that something like this should not happened in a civilized country. I also did not asked millions of other questions with a similar assumption, thankfully verified positively so far :) I do not think it is worth the effort to dig up the agreement but I am pretty sure such option was not there at that time. If they added it recently it is good but with my overall experience mentioned somewhere above, that regardless my efforts I practically always end up subscribed to something I do not really want to it basically falls under the same modus operandi also for YP.