Singapore Expats Forum

live well on 4400s$?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

engineer

live well on 4400s$?

Postby engineer » Thu, 28 Oct 2004 2:46 am

Hi ,

A company offered my girlfriend 3500 s$ and me 4200 s$, no housing allowances. (Bonus will be as the local standards)

Could we live comfortable on that ?? So eat, drink,sport, pay the bills and go out like here in Europe? And do some local travel??

thanks!!

HaPpYgOlUcKy

Postby HaPpYgOlUcKy » Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:56 am

Live in HDB? Ample to spend for DINKS couple.
FYI, the minimal guideline to qualify for HDB application is combined income of S$8,000(it has not increased right?? with those yrs of poor economy?). You are already near the ceiling of it and almost cannot qualify if you are local. So it should provide a little bit of a lifestyle(wine and dine every weekend) comfort if you also don't own a car and don't take taxis everyday. And of course no indulgence in hobbies like gambling...4Ds, toto, Mahjong......

Happy!!

DespeRuth

Re: live well on 4400s$?

Postby DespeRuth » Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:45 am

engineer wrote:Hi ,

A company offered my girlfriend 3500 s$ and me 4200 s$, no housing allowances. (Bonus will be as the local standards)

Could we live comfortable on that ?? So eat, drink,sport, pay the bills and go out like here in Europe? And do some local travel??

thanks!!

It all depends, really. We're a European couple living on 8000 in total, and it's ok, but we cannot allow ourselves the same lifestyle as back home.

No car, but good housing (rent market is much better than in European cities), but then drinking and dining in restaurants is not cheap at all - drinks are horribly expensive!

If you take the bus instead of taxi, if you don't go out too much, if you are ok with eating in hawker centres instead of restaurants or at home (buying western food and cooking it at home is actually quite pricey!) etc you're ok.

Also, bear in mind that travelling IS cheap, but it is a problem getting time off to actually DO the travelling!! As you'd want at least one week back home for christmas, and then two weeks holiday somewhere in summer, there's not much holiday (days off) left at all. Also, travelling on public holidays or on the Friday night-Sunday night flights, you won't get the good deals and often end up paying much more than you thought.

After being here one year, we would not have accepted our package if we knew then what we know now.

leaving london

Postby leaving london » Fri, 29 Oct 2004 5:46 pm

Desperuth,
How much salary do you think you would require to give same lifestyle (but without car) in singapore?

I have been offered SGN$8K and my girlfriend $4.5K both local terms for a move to Singapore. My question is would this extra 4K tip the balance and give a decent lifestyle? I am not looking to live in a trendy condo nor own a car or buy designer clothes etc, but would want to go out clubbing/drinking at w/e join a gym, take taxis when required, travel the region and not worry about counting the singdollars.

What is your opinion?
Thanks

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sun, 31 Oct 2004 5:21 pm

Sounds pretty good to me, as long as your girlfriend isn't the type who needs a new LV bag and Prada shoes weekly...

HaPpYgOlUcKy

Postby HaPpYgOlUcKy » Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:42 pm

Listen Engineer, disregard what those two jokers DespeRuth and Jpatocal tell you. You CAN live comfortably on that amount.

Frankly I get a little irritated by people like them taking a light hearted pot shot at people like you who are just trying to earn a crust.

They appear to have little else to do than sit around sniping at honest people like you and me who are asking for help.

Dont worry though - any more HANKY PANKY and they will fid themselves thrown off this excellent site. GOT IT you two?

HaPpYgOlUcKy Original

Postby HaPpYgOlUcKy Original » Mon, 01 Nov 2004 2:49 pm

To the "pirated" HaPpYgOlUcKy....

Please stop having an identity crisis and be brave to find your own unique name.

HaPpYgOlUcKy Original

Strange

Postby Strange » Mon, 01 Nov 2004 3:34 pm

Why is this happening?

HaPpYgOlUcKy

Postby HaPpYgOlUcKy » Mon, 01 Nov 2004 10:34 pm

Very simple... the pirated one has things to say but no guts to be represented by his/her own unique identity. Hiding behind one's skirt!!

HaPpYgOlUcKy Original is happy to own up or defend my own views in the forum.....so the imitation.....please stop calling people names and telling people off as if you can boot people out of the forum under a falsified identity. Have some ethics in a public forum please.....

HaPpYgOlUcKy Original

HaPpYgOlUcKy Genuine

Postby HaPpYgOlUcKy Genuine » Mon, 01 Nov 2004 11:07 pm

Now I am the HaPpYgOlUcKy Genuine - beware all imposters - I am here taking back my turf!

REGISTER

darn! just register your nicks!

Postby REGISTER » Mon, 01 Nov 2004 11:33 pm

just register ur nicks!!