Singapore Expats Forum

Babysitting - What are the rules?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Sam Raj
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu, 15 Jan 2009
Location: Singapore

Babysitting - What are the rules?

Postby Sam Raj » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 9:20 am


I am a mom of 2 kids. Since both of them are in school during the day, I have a lot of free time.

I enjoy working with children, and used to volunteer in my kids school back home. However their school here doesn't need many volunteers so that option is out. I was wondering if I could babysit kids, in my home. I am on a dependent pass. Does anyone know of any rules or laws applicable. Do I need to register at the MOM? Is there anything else that I need to take into consideration?

Any advice is appreciated.


User avatar
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Postby Splatted » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:36 am

1. Keep them away from water.

2. They hate bright light.

3. The most important rule. No matter how much they cry, no matter how much they beg, never, never feed them after midnight.

Oh, wait... that's Gremlins...

User avatar
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat, 17 Apr 2010

Postby BigSis » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:17 am

Oh, wait... that's Gremlins...

LOL, it could apply to both!

you could register with one of the nanny/babysitting agencies - if you google for nanny singapore there are a couple of places which come up. They are sometimes looking for people to work for them.

But if you wanted to do it just as a casual thing, I think it is supposed to be OK to earn a certain amount without having to declare it .............or at least I read that somewhere, best to check the MOM's website to see if there's anything about that on there.

User avatar
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat, 31 Oct 2009

Postby gravida » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 1:00 pm

If you will earn any money, I do not think it is legal without permission from MOM. Long time ago when I was here on LTSVP I wanted to do some volunteering job, but was not sure if on my type of visa I could, so I've written to MOM and they replied with a letter stating I am allowed to do so for free, but if I will have any income, I have to get employment pass or letter of content.

User avatar
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 9:44 pm

If you have a DP you need a letter of consent but that shouldn't be much of a problem.

  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests