Singapore Expats

Permanent residency

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
evelyne

Permanent residency

Post by evelyne » Mon, 26 Apr 2010 4:33 pm

Dear all,

Sorry I guess this question surely popped in this forum many times, but i found only precise topics on the permanent residency.

I was just wondering, is there anything I should be worry in the future if I apply for the permanent residency (as i want to go back to europe after my contract finishes)? does it bind me to anything?

thank you for your advice.

Evelyne

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Mon, 26 Apr 2010 4:42 pm

So what's the point of becoming a Permanent Resident if you have no intention of residing permenently in Singapore :roll:

evelyne

Post by evelyne » Mon, 26 Apr 2010 5:09 pm

it seems that my company is paying some fees for me. if I become PR, they will pay less.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Apr 2010 5:16 pm

Actually, they will have to pay more. If you are on an Employment Pass they pay no levies but if you become a PR they will have to pay CPF contributions on your salary.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Post by gravida » Mon, 26 Apr 2010 7:34 pm

Your salary will be most likely smaller as you will have to contribute your part of CPF and in most cases of my old agreements I had a clause stating that if I will become PR, my salary will be cut.
Generally, as mentioned before, you do not need PR to stay and work in Singapore on a short term basis i. e., couple of years.

evelyne

Post by evelyne » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 9:39 am

but at the end, will I not be able to retrieve my CPF account if I leave singapore?

so becoming PR is only about CPF or is there others stuff I need to know about becoming PR...I just don't want to have any bad surprise as singapore paperwork and rules already gave me some hard time...

@sundaymorningstaple: I do not know exactly who nor how my company pays me. but when I ask them why I should become PR, that's what they told me: we will pay less fees for you and your salary will "increase".

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 9:59 am

evelyne wrote: @sundaymorningstaple: I do not know exactly who nor how my company pays me. but when I ask them why I should become PR, that's what they told me: we will pay less fees for you and your salary will "increase".
Unless you are on a Work Permit (WP) and the company is paying a levy, that is not true. It's possible you are on a High Levy ($240/month). Then the company might save some money if they are paying you less than 1700/mo (the Employers Contributions portion of CPF if 14%). Something still smell very fishy with your employer.

I've never heard of an employer recommending an employee to get PR. Most do their best to stop the employee from doing so as it will cost them more not less.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:08 am

As you haven't been here for at least 2 years, PR really not an option at the moment. Plenty has been written about people trying to apply for PR after only 6 month and all getting rejected.

evelyne

Post by evelyne » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:41 am

@sundaymorningstaple: I do agree! smells fishy.... >_<

@Saint: ...they thought I already applied when I arrived in singapore lol...in others words, Im late for the PR application (and its been 7 months ive been around)! lol

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:39 pm

evelyne wrote: @Saint: ...they thought I already applied when I arrived in singapore lol...in others words, Im late for the PR application (and its been 7 months ive been around)! lol

I applied after more than 2-yrs here, with a decent salary and the rest but still did not get PR....... i think you might be wasting your time at the moment.

evelyne

Post by evelyne » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 1:04 pm

@Saint: ok fine. They still asked me to do it. Ill do it and it wont really matter if I dont get it.

thank you ALL!

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 1:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
evelyne wrote: @sundaymorningstaple: I do not know exactly who nor how my company pays me. but when I ask them why I should become PR, that's what they told me: we will pay less fees for you and your salary will "increase".
Unless you are on a Work Permit (WP) and the company is paying a levy, that is not true. It's possible you are on a High Levy ($240/month). Then the company might save some money if they are paying you less than 1700/mo (the Employers Contributions portion of CPF if 14%). Something still smell very fishy with your employer.

I've never heard of an employer recommending an employee to get PR. Most do their best to stop the employee from doing so as it will cost them more not less.
The Employer's CPF contribution for first year would be 4% (S$180 max) and rises to 9% (S$405 max) in the 2nd year depending on the OP's gross salary.

Have to agree with SMS that it doesn't make much sense

Edmundfo

Post by Edmundfo » Thu, 06 May 2010 4:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
evelyne wrote: @sundaymorningstaple:

I'm currently in a similar situation. My prospective employer (academic) seems to prefer that I apply for PR. They claim it makes less paperwork for them, so that I can start working earlier. However, I would clearly prefer an ordinary employment pass since that would give me more paid (no CPF).

Also, what are actually the rules regarding NS for permanent residents and their children?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 May 2010 5:03 pm

Do a search of the Strictly Speaking sub-forum of the General Forum. Many, many posts on the PR/NS topic there.

wcs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wcs » Thu, 06 May 2010 8:45 pm

Maybe these educational companies would prefer staff to be PR, because then they can just employ them to do the sessional teaching and not have to keep them on full time.

I remember speaking with the founder of a chain of tuition centres here. She and my supervisor both agreed that employing people full time makes them lazy. If you want the best out of them give them sessional work. The rate is better, but the hours are less so it is better for the business. They also have to perform well or "their" classes will be given to someone else next term.

That is my best guess as to why a PR is preferred to an EP holder.