Singapore Expats Forum

Who is claiming insurance for the volcanic euruptions?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Who is claiming insurance for the volcanic euruptions?

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 3:13 pm

Just wondering how many people in this forum are affected by the recent volcanic euruptions?

I was in Europe for my holidays when it happened, and was not able to get back to Singapore since the airport is closed. I extended my vacation for an additional 5 days and only just arrived Singapore this morning.

I have checked with my travel insurance company on my capacity to claim. It appears that volcanic euruption fell out of the the description of "adverse travel condition". The insurance company will consider my claims but this doesn't mean anything as it is merely a consideration.

I would like to compare notes and understand who else are in a similar position and how is your insurance company treating it? Are you claiming against the airline or against the insurance company? What are the insurance companies paying? Accommodation? Expenses? Salary loss?

Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 3:49 pm

I would have thought you would have had to pay them. You had an extended holiday! Not a holiday cut short! :lol:

But welcome back nonetheless! :wink:

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Who is claiming insurance for the volcanic euruptions?

Postby Saint » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 4:05 pm

Girl_Next_Door wrote:
I have checked with my travel insurance company on my capacity to claim. It appears that volcanic euruption fell out of the the description of "adverse travel condition". The insurance company will consider my claims but this doesn't mean anything as it is merely a consideration.

Which company said this?

I have to be careful before I comments!

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 4:58 pm

SMS> Well, I have to utilise 4 days of my annual leave and I would prefer to spend that 4 days of annual leave at a destination of my choice, instead of "Act of God"

Saint> Mine is with Tenet Insurance Company Ltd. Still filling up the forms, and wondering what I can claim. My colleagues said I should claim for my leave as no-pay leave (i.e. potential income) but I am not sure if that kind of thing works in Singapore? Any idea?

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 5:13 pm

Girl_Next_Door wrote:Saint> Mine is with Tenet Insurance Company Ltd. Still filling up the forms, and wondering what I can claim. My colleagues said I should claim for my leave as no-pay leave (i.e. potential income) but I am not sure if that kind of thing works in Singapore? Any idea?

http://www.tenetinsurance.com/pib/downl ... 9.4.10.pdf

All additional expense incurred will be covered. Unfortunately loss income aren't covered by travel policies however if you are working for a major company they could in theory claim for Business Interruption on your behalf.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 5:21 pm

Cool! Thanks for the information!

How do my company claim for business interruption on my behalf? Is it against the insurance company or airlines?

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 5:35 pm

Girl_Next_Door wrote:Cool! Thanks for the information!

How do my company claim for business interruption on my behalf? Is it against the insurance company or airlines?

To be honest claim under Business Interruption will be very hard as it normally relates to a property damage loss. I'm surprised your company has made you take unpaid leave due to no fault of your own, normally if you've taken every step possible to get to work they shouldn't dock you. We've had staff strandard all over the place and where possible we got them to a local office if possible.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 5:50 pm

Just had word with our top guy, and as I thought, loss of earnings under this event aren't covered by either travel or BI policies.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 6:00 pm

Unfortunately, I work in a non-government but highly bureaucratic environment, hence I have to utilise my normal leave for this "situation".

Thanks for your advice!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 5:20 am

Girl_Next_Door wrote:Unfortunately, I work in a non-government but highly bureaucratic environment, hence I have to utilise my normal leave for this "situation".

Thanks for your advice!

GND

I am not sure if this helps, I was reading the NZ Herald and found out that for Kiwis who are stranded due to this eruption, you will be covered by the insurance, The NZ Insurance Body even came out saying they will compensate all claims.As such the insurance companies do realise that this eruption is not the fault of anyone i.e "mother nature playing naugthy"

SO... I am not sure in SG , one thing I realise it is much harder to get claims in SG in any form or matters. But you can always argue this point of contention that if other country insurance covers this why not SG

MS
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 8:09 am

Mad Scientist, do you have the link to the NZ Herald? Two of my friends are stranded in Quito and one of them is Kiwi. Not sure if he can claim something because Axa have already told them that they cannot claim against this volcanic euruption.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:16 am

Girl_Next_Door wrote:Mad Scientist, do you have the link to the NZ Herald? Two of my friends are stranded in Quito and one of them is Kiwi. Not sure if he can claim something because Axa have already told them that they cannot claim against this volcanic euruption.

Just type NZ herald.co.nz you should be able to see. It was on TV3NZ and TVNZ too last night.
Or go to NZIS they should be able to help out. Even AIG Australia(Australia Insurance Group) when I called said they will cover

MS
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:41 am

I tried googling before asking for the link, but didn't find anything. I search nz herard also can't find anything relating to NZ insurance body compensating all claims. I can find some articles citing that most insurance companies will pay, without naming who.

Under the http://www.safetravel.govt.nz/news/index.shtml#europe, there is also no mention of the above as well.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:05 pm

I thought my eyes and mind was playing tricks BUT here it is from TVNZ
Gooogle TVNZ and search for Insurance Claims on Stranded Kiwi

I take this out for your reading

"New Zealanders are finally getting back in the air, as extra flights and larger planes help chip away at the huge backlog of passengers bound for Europe.

As of tonight, Air New Zealand has started shifting half of its 4000 disrupted passengers worldwide and other airlines are now too resuming normal services.

Air NZ resumed flights on Wednesday night and say passengers stranded in Hong Kong and Los Angeles will get first priority, followed by customers with existing bookings on scheduled services, then passengers in a chronological order from their original point of delay.

Meanwhile, insurance companies are bracing for an onslaught of claims, as stranded New Zealanders return home.

The Insurance Council says it will be another week or two before the cost of the travel disruption is known, but adds that New Zealand companies will pay out.[/color

[color=blue]They say although a lot of people have been calling with enquiries, few have actually filed claims.

The Insurance Council is advising claimants to keep in touch with their insurer and to keep hold of receipts for all costs brought about by their
delays.

The first big influx of stranded Kiwis is due back tomorrow, with three flights due to touch down in Auckland in the morning.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:39 pm

To be quite sure, your policy should be clear black & white if it covers any natural disasters, and war. If it doesn't state clearly you will not be covered.

If it states clearly and the company is not paying out, you must file a claim against them, the more people they say no too, saves them money!

Insurance companies will not pay out if they can weasel their way out of not paying, they are really parasites, that just suck all the time.

Wise up is the best thing to do and read the small print. To be covered for an act of god, is an additional premium in many insurance companies.