Singapore Expats Forum

Internships in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

chriswheadon
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 21 Apr 2010
Location: Kuala Lumpur

Internships in Singapore

Postby chriswheadon » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 5:50 pm

Hello everyone,

My name's Chris and I'm from Wales, UK. I've recently been applying for summer internships in Singapore and KL (where I currently am) but haven't had much luck so far. Most job postings are looking for Singaporeans or PRs. To share a little more about my situation, here's an extract from my CV:

"I am a second year undergraduate student, studying BA Business Economics and Management at Nottingham University, Malaysia. Having lived and studied in four different countries I have experience in working in multicultural environments, and have learned to be independent and adaptable.

I enjoy an active life of studies, sports and travel. My goal is to remain in Asia to pursue a career in the financial services industry or as a market analyst, for both of which I have developed a keen interest. "


I would really appreciate it if anyone could offer me advice on this matter (e.g where to apply). I would like nothing more than to spend my summer as an intern in Singapore!

chriswheadon
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 21 Apr 2010
Location: Kuala Lumpur

Postby chriswheadon » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 6:21 pm

From having a quick look around the forum, I can see that I've got no chance. It's going to be very difficult (if not impossible) for me to get such an internship isn't it? I better start looking at prices for flights back to the UK.

But still, if anyone's got any advice (apart from go home), I'd really appreciate it.

tess88
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon, 12 Apr 2010

Postby tess88 » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 9:32 pm


chriswheadon
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 21 Apr 2010
Location: Kuala Lumpur

Postby chriswheadon » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:00 pm

Thanks for that! Just applied to a few on there. Fingers crossed...

finance
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue, 01 Jun 2010

Postby finance » Tue, 01 Jun 2010 9:50 am

Hello, are you still looking for an internship?
I am looking for an intern to work in the finance department.
Please leave me your contact details if you are still interested.
Thank you.

serve_the_servants
Regular
Regular
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue, 30 Mar 2010
Location: Europe / Singapore

Postby serve_the_servants » Sun, 06 Jun 2010 6:47 pm

chriswheadon wrote:From having a quick look around the forum, I can see that I've got no chance. It's going to be very difficult (if not impossible) for me to get such an internship isn't it? I better start looking at prices for flights back to the UK.

But still, if anyone's got any advice (apart from go home), I'd really appreciate it.


I got my internship before by perseverance. I was 19, my resume was empty and I wanted to go to Singapore, pretty impossible. I was a second year bachelor student in Europe.

I emailed embassies in Singapore for lists of expats in Singapore. These lists include email addresses and phone numbers. I emailed and called them all, including country clubs etcetera.

After 2 weeks I received an email of an expat saying that he had never seen a person with such a drive. He offered me an internship in his company and I had the best 6 months of my life.

It is possible, but you have to be more creative and lucky! If you go for the normal route, I guess it will be hard.

a0065807
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon, 14 Jun 2010
Location: singapore

part time work/contract work

Postby a0065807 » Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:12 pm

hi im 26 m , im a full time masters student (project management) at the National University of Singapore.

I am interested in an internship here esp in the finance sector, i have a background in civil engineering with 30 months of working experience.

please fell free to contact me

thanks and regards,

Abhishek

P.S. contact email: abhishek.sarkar21@gmail.com

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35184
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:43 pm

a0065807,

Signatures are to be confined to a single line of text or a single hyperlink. Thanks.

Moderator

PushTheButton
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 26 Jul 2010

Postby PushTheButton » Mon, 26 Jul 2010 3:45 pm

serve_the_servants wrote:I got my internship before by perseverance. I was 19, my resume was empty and I wanted to go to Singapore, pretty impossible. I was a second year bachelor student in Europe.

I emailed embassies in Singapore for lists of expats in Singapore. These lists include email addresses and phone numbers. I emailed and called them all, including country clubs etcetera.

After 2 weeks I received an email of an expat saying that he had never seen a person with such a drive. He offered me an internship in his company and I had the best 6 months of my life.

It is possible, but you have to be more creative and lucky! If you go for the normal route, I guess it will be hard.


This is what I am trying now, but the embassies keep telling me they cannot give me these lists due to privacy reasons. How did you do it?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11114
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 26 Jul 2010 3:55 pm

PushTheButton wrote:
serve_the_servants wrote:I got my internship before by perseverance. I was 19, my resume was empty and I wanted to go to Singapore, pretty impossible. I was a second year bachelor student in Europe.

I emailed embassies in Singapore for lists of expats in Singapore. These lists include email addresses and phone numbers. I emailed and called them all, including country clubs etcetera.

After 2 weeks I received an email of an expat saying that he had never seen a person with such a drive. He offered me an internship in his company and I had the best 6 months of my life.

It is possible, but you have to be more creative and lucky! If you go for the normal route, I guess it will be hard.


This is what I am trying now, but the embassies keep telling me they cannot give me these lists due to privacy reasons. How did you do it?


Very true. I know that you'll never get this info out of the US Embassy... they don't even have it.

Erica23
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue, 13 Sep 2011

ANYONE STILL LOOKING FOR AN ITNERNSHIP??

Postby Erica23 » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 3:40 pm

Anyone still looking for an internship in these areas such as Business sales and marketing, graphic design and editorial?

I realised that it is pretty difficult to look for interns other than partnering with schools and intern.sg. If anyone is interested, you can email me at jocelyn.sng@uyunigroup.com .

Or does anyone have any other suggestions of where to look for people who are interested in internships?

luminoso
Regular
Regular
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue, 13 Sep 2011

Postby luminoso » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 4:20 pm

Apart from internsg.com you may also want to try

http://www.workexperience.asia

They have got quite a few good listings in Singapore

nasgirl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon, 21 Nov 2011

Postby nasgirl » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 6:17 pm

finance wrote:Hello, are you still looking for an internship?
I am looking for an intern to work in the finance department.
Please leave me your contact details if you are still interested.
Thank you.

do ur intern still available?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest