Singapore Expats

Nuisance calling from ERA realtors

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Nuisance calling from ERA realtors

Post by JR8 » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 9:17 am

I'm wondering if other people have a problem with ERA realtors cold-calling them?

They called me on Sunday at lunchtime, on Monday at 8.50pm, last night at 8.55pm. Trust me I get majorly wound up by this, as my home line is only used by family in Europe.... we have kind of 'recognised hours' so if I get a call at lunch or 9pm the presumption is someone has died or something. But then it's just some droid asking if I want to sell the unit that I rent, from a company I have never had ANY dealings with.

I tried to e-mail them a few times last year and ask them to not call any more... no reply at all, and it goes on and on.

Any suggestions? Is there such a thing as a 'No Call Register' here?

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:22 am

funny your should ask this question now! read Today's paper (sorry that I can't post the link or anything else as it is not allowed on this site) for a discussion on this topic.

clara10

Post by clara10 » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:39 am

I recieve a call from them last week.

What's funny was, they know my name. And when I mention something like I've sold my apartment - excuse to end call, he even ask me how much I sold it for????? :roll: Isnt that confidential?

By the way I was watching my favorite program on cable then . :mad:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:45 am

No, posting links to news stories is allowed. I'm sure. Not like you're advertising or anything....

Ta!
Last edited by JR8 on Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:50 am

clara10 wrote:I recieve a call from them last week.

What's funny was, they know my name. And when I mention something like I've sold my apartment - excuse to end call, he even ask me how much I sold it for????? :roll: Isnt that confidential?

By the way I was watching my favorite program on cable then . :mad:
Yeah. I see them as stealers of time. For their hope of profit they will interupt your work, cooking, leisure. When you demand they stop: answer is cannot lah

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:07 pm

a few of my favorites to get rid of those calls

I tend to say hello in my mother tongue ( yep cheating for this one) and then say in a broken english that I'm sorry I don't understand them...

I answer in saying it's such a bad moment and then start telling them all about what's been happening in my day... without letting them speak

I ask to wait for just a sec' put the receiver under a cushion ( without hanging up) and forget everything about the current phone call...

and a few others... usually they get the message pretty quickly...

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:16 pm

I just ask them for their home and mobile numbers so I can phone them back when it convenient for me, normally gets them thinking!

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:22 pm

Saint wrote:I just ask them for their home and mobile numbers so I can phone them back when it convenient for me, normally gets them thinking!

good one... I'll keep it =D>

MinSG

Post by MinSG » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:36 pm

My boss told me that there is a paid service(not sure from government or private authorities) where the agents can retrieve detailed and precise information including transaction price, names and contact# of buyer and seller, unit no, etc unless the transaction is not yet posted on caveat lodge. The free caveat lodge web site only shows limited no of transactions and information.

I also received many calls from different agencies asking the same question about my condo unit which is currently rented. I told the agents that I currently get good rental yield and only plan to sell in the next 1-2 years at an unreasonably high price(for instance, current market price is $1.2 mil, I set target at $1.5 mil). Before reaching this price point, I will not consider to sell. I asked them to come back to me when they have buyers who are willing to buy at this price. Now I get lesser and lesser calls. Hope this helps.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:46 pm

MinSG wrote:My boss told me that there is a paid service(not sure from government or private authorities) where the agents can retrieve detailed and precise information including transaction price, names and contact# of buyer and seller, unit no, etc unless the transaction is not yet posted on caveat lodge. The free caveat lodge web site only shows limited no of transactions and information.

I also received many calls from different agencies asking the same question about my condo unit which is currently rented. I told the agents that I currently get good rental yield and only plan to sell in the next 1-2 years at an unreasonably high price(for instance, current market price is $1.2 mil, I set target at $1.5 mil). Before reaching this price point, I will not consider to sell. I asked them to come back to me when they have buyers who are willing to buy at this price. Now I get lesser and lesser calls. Hope this helps.

That makes sense except agents are contacting US, by name, as tenants asking US whether we have intention to sell or not.

"Sure, I can sell to you....... do me a favour though lah! Don't tell the owner. I split profit with you 50/50, can or not leh?"

$Pripps

Post by $Pripps » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 2:59 pm

I have come to the point that as soon as I hear the word 'property' I just hang up, like an automatic reflex now. A bit annoying though when talking to somebody you know and he/she happens to mention property in some context - click.
Everybody already knows what it is, so there's not much point in saying it - Simpsons

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 3:35 pm

I know that the minute some-one calls me by my middle name they don't know me as very few of my friends know it, but it is in a couple of databases and having "Kim" as a first name in Asia confuses everyone!

I have to hand it to my housemate though - he passed on my mobile number to a cold caller at home. Wasn't very impressed :(

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 4:16 pm

JR8 wrote:No, posting links to news stories is allowed. I'm sure. Not like you're advertising or anything....

Ta!
Try it and see what happens....

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 5:08 pm

carteki wrote:
JR8 wrote:No, posting links to news stories is allowed. I'm sure. Not like you're advertising or anything....

Ta!
Try it and see what happens....
only news stores from a particular newspaper and it's subsidiaries is not allowed

I've posted news stories heaps of times from other sources.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 5:13 pm

The particular news source.........

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic45505.html
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers