Singapore Expats Forum

Do I need to pay Singapore income tax?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

chunkymonkey

Do I need to pay Singapore income tax?

Postby chunkymonkey » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 8:58 pm

Not sure if this question has been aswered elsewhere.....looking for some advice.

I work part time for a UK based company, however have been resident in Singapore for 2 years. The company has no affiliation with Singapore and pays me directly into my UK account. I work from home primarily as a consultant to the UK company.

I am here in Singapore as a dependent on my wifes EP. We made the move over when her job was deployed to Singapore.

Do I need to declare my income for Singapore income tax? Have been told in the past by various persons that because the company is not registered in Singapore and do not pay me a salary here, the income cannot be taxed in Singapore.

Advice much appreciated

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:07 pm

Sorry lah! :oops:

I hit the wrong edit button to change my post below yours! Please forgive me!

sms :(

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:47 pm

ftopic56544.html

So MOM says you don't need any type of work pass and can do it on your DP, IRAS says that if the work is performed here, regardless of where the income is received, then yes you have to pay taxes. Now, you would have to think about any tax treaties with your home country or double taxation.

Definitely not what you want to hear. You might rephrase the question and send a query to IRAS as well. Often you get conflicting answers. Also see when that was posted. It may well have changed subsequent to November '09.

sms

chunkymonkey

Postby chunkymonkey » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks for the input.... let me try throw another spanner in the works :

I have discused the situation with the UK tax authority and because I am not tax resident in the UK and in their words "do not enjoy the benefits of UK goverment spending" and am employing my skills outside the country I am classed with zero tax status.

Now as good as the situation looks, usually these sort of things are too good to be true and have a habit of coming back to bite you in the ass!

What now?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:47 pm

I'd say you were lucky. Singapore's tax rates are a hell of a lot lower than the UK's! It just eliminated the double taxation worries or tax treaties. You will be taxed here and not in the UK. I'd say you lucked out.

You could have been a Yank! Double taxation AND no Tax treaties! :x

manutdfan
Regular
Regular

Postby manutdfan » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 5:57 pm

chunkymonkey wrote:Thanks for the input.... let me try throw another spanner in the works :

I have discused the situation with the UK tax authority and because I am not tax resident in the UK and in their words "do not enjoy the benefits of UK goverment spending" and am employing my skills outside the country I am classed with zero tax status.

Now as good as the situation looks, usually these sort of things are too good to be true and have a habit of coming back to bite you in the ass!

What now?

I've just gone through this - for the UK.

You will still have to pay NI though - and if you're a contractor like me that means you end up paying about 15% of the income.

You situation may be complicated by the fact you're on a DP - but what I was told by IRAS was they don't care where you're paid - if you're doing the work in Singapore, they want their tax share!

This works for me as it means paying the Lees at around 10% rather than the scottish nitwits about 40%.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:12 pm

manutdfan wrote: - but what I was told by IRAS was they don't care where you're paid - if you're doing the work in Singapore, they want their tax share!

This works for me as it means paying the Lees at around 10% rather than the scottish nitwits about 40%.

At least you got the same response that I did in my written query to them. :wink: