Singapore Expats Forum

Should massage dudes do the 'neck cracking' thing?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Should massage dudes do the 'neck cracking' thing?

Postby ozchick » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 8:53 pm

Well he's a very good massage dude and I'm putty in his hands but he's not a qualified anything as far as I know so should I allow him to 'do the neck cracking' thing? Ooh I hate to think what could go wrong if these guys are not 'osteo' or 'chiro' or 'physio-trained' as such. But gee my feet that felt like they were dying are now alive again, and my back well hell's bells I'm a new girl! :)
Different point: this massage guy is a deaf-mute....how come there are so many of these in Singapore? Surely they can be 'helped'?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:24 pm

no, no, and no@!

had a (proper) masseuse do that to me in Thailand, I was so shocked I nearly belted her
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:48 pm

I wouldn't even trust chiros' to do the neck cracking thingy...They aren't real doctors :P

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:52 pm

I just flex my neck a bit to stretch and I end up doing the neck cracking myself!

clara10

Postby clara10 » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:18 am

I 'cracked' my neck everyday- during some stretching excercises I do in the morning.

Will never let anyone else do that for me! It'll be too shocking, I guess. :shock:

$Pripps

Postby $Pripps » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:42 pm

raden888 wrote:I wouldn't even trust chiros' to do the neck cracking thingy...They aren't real doctors :P

yeah I read in New Scientist a few months ago that for all what the Chiros promise it has never been scientifically proven that it helps going to a Chiro, on the contrary, if done wrong could cause serious damage even a heart attack.

http://www.newscientist.com/search?query=chiropractor&fromdate=&todate=&rbauthors=&rbissueno=&resultview=keyword[/url]
Everybody already knows what it is, so there's not much point in saying it - Simpsons

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 3:49 pm

I have done over 28 sessions with Chiropractor in DK and it was very effective, I was suffering a great deal of discomfort in my shoulder and neck, because of a broken disc 5th lumbar.

That disc stopped me working in the construction industry, it was a work accident and i did report it, however the foreman never wrote it down in the accident book, next day i couldn't walk at all for over 6 weeks.

In agony every day for over 20 years before the pain ceased, what happend was the joints weld together with calcium in the injured area, now i have what is called flat back, cannot bend backwards at all.

The body frame being out of alignment causes stress everywhere, hence chiro practor treatment which my union subsidised. Bad sitting position will place all the spinal joints out of alignment causing stress at base of neck. I can recommend only good experienced Chiropractors to put the joints back in place and they do normally crack I trust in their profession and the instrument they use.

I have felt personal relief and would use them again, though one needs to find a really good one, you get good and bad in everything. It is not a massage dudes job to crack necks or other joints, his job is the muscle only. He wouldn't be insured for it professional chiropractors in DK are and also in Taiwan, but I have no idea in Singapore.

$Pripps

Postby $Pripps » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 3:03 pm

I've gone for many years both in Sweden, Germany and here, I have come to the conclusion that it works a bit like when you crack your fingers - just a temporary respite but never actually curing anything. Therefore the last couple of years I just go and have a massage instead whenever it gets bad, seems to give about the same effect.

Another thing I do is have two tennis balls in a sock and then lie on it, that seems to help as well. Saw that tip years ago on some web site.
Everybody already knows what it is, so there's not much point in saying it - Simpsons

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 1:05 pm

EADG wrote:no, no, and no@!

had a (proper) masseuse do that to me in Thailand,

<snigger>

'nuff said Image

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 6:40 pm

Right then. Going tomorrow morning for the massage but gonna tell the massage-dude that my head is out of bounds. Got enough trouble with my head anyway without him making it worse! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

tall cat

Postby tall cat » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:39 pm

think you should get very used to your massage folk 1st..after so, then you consider letting the fellow try...noneless, it's at your own risk...hehehe
always happy to make a new fren...

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Postby SunWuKong » Sat, 24 Apr 2010 8:21 am

ozchick wrote:Right then. Going tomorrow morning for the massage but gonna tell the massage-dude that my head is out of bounds. Got enough trouble with my head anyway without him making it worse! :wink:

lol good luck trying to communicate directly with the deaf mute.
The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!

tkuanhoo

Re: Should massage dudes do the 'neck cracking' thing?

Postby tkuanhoo » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 8:09 pm

ozchick wrote:Well he's a very good massage dude and I'm putty in his hands but he's not a qualified anything as far as I know so should I allow him to 'do the neck cracking' thing? Ooh I hate to think what could go wrong if these guys are not 'osteo' or 'chiro' or 'physio-trained' as such. But gee my feet that felt like they were dying are now alive again, and my back well hell's bells I'm a new girl! :)
Different point: this massage guy is a deaf-mute....how come there are so many of these in Singapore? Surely they can be 'helped'?

Probably only 0.001% of Singaporeans are mute/deaf. But I guess some weirdos would consider that as "many"

cheer

neck cracking

Postby cheer » Sun, 09 May 2010 9:38 pm

singapore masseuses like to think they know something about their craft and dispense their well-meaning "knowhow" like halloween candy. this often comes in the form of free "advice" (eg- avoid drinking cold water, avoid alcohol, red meats, bean products if you have joint pains, having wind in the body, etc)- some are grounded in fact (according to chinese medica), some pure conjecture.
but in terms of neck cracking, this should only be done by a TCM practitioner (who has undergone years of training to get that medical degree), or a licensed chiropractor/osteopath/bla bla. benefits are almost instantaneous when done correctly and could relieve months or even longer periods of pain. when you "crack the neck", you are basically dealing with the spine and all the nerves along the spine that run up to the brain. reported accidents have happened before and can result in loss of speech, paralysis or even death.
most of the training masseuses get is on-the-job basics. the rest is picked up through practice or trial-and-error. there are many good therapists in singapore (yes, even some that could possibly crack necks correctly all of the time; it's up to you to try?), and even more misguided ones. no matter what, they should always be willing to pull back on any course of treatment if you should feel uncomfortable and proceed with something alternative or less extreme.