Singapore Expats Forum

Buying Tix to Singapore Formula1 Night race?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

manneymo

Buying Tix to Singapore Formula1 Night race?

Postby manneymo » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 4:50 pm

Hi all! I am kinda in a dilema and need some help. I am wanting to buy hubby tix to the F1 race for our anniversary. He isnt really into racing but i remember him saying how cool it would be to experience it. Tix can be pretty pricey, so was just going to go with the cheapest Grandstand tix, and then he has the option of sitting or walking around.
My question is, should I not cheap out? When I say cheap its not that cheap at $500 for a pair of tix for the weekend...but alot cheaper than some of the other tix! Or should I splurge a little and get the $1000 per pair tix?
Anyone been to the F1 and can shed some light on where a good spot would be? Is just being there pretty neat itself?
Thanks for any input.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Buying Tix to Singapore Formula1 Night race?

Postby ksl » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 5:05 pm

manneymo wrote:Hi all! I am kinda in a dilema and need some help. I am wanting to buy hubby tix to the F1 race for our anniversary. He isnt really into racing but i remember him saying how cool it would be to experience it. Tix can be pretty pricey, so was just going to go with the cheapest Grandstand tix, and then he has the option of sitting or walking around.
My question is, should I not cheap out? When I say cheap its not that cheap at $500 for a pair of tix for the weekend...but alot cheaper than some of the other tix! Or should I splurge a little and get the $1000 per pair tix?
Anyone been to the F1 and can shed some light on where a good spot would be? Is just being there pretty neat itself?
Thanks for any input.

I'm sure he would rather end up in a real flight simulator at the Singapore Flyer than watch boring cars whiz pass for a second,

http://www.singaporeflyer.com/index.php ... orm&id=163

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 5:39 pm

ksl wrote:
manneymo wrote:Hi all! I am kinda in a dilema and need some help. I am wanting to buy hubby tix to the F1 race for our anniversary. He isnt really into racing but i remember him saying how cool it would be to experience it. Tix can be pretty pricey, so was just going to go with the cheapest Grandstand tix, and then he has the option of sitting or walking around.
Thanks for any input.

I'm sure he would rather end up in a real flight simulator at the Singapore Flyer than watch boring cars whiz pass for a second,

http://www.singaporeflyer.com/index.php ... orm&id=163

It's not an actual flight sim... realistic cockpit but no motion at all.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 6:01 pm

I had a grandstand seat in 2008 (the first year) It leaves a lot to be desired. After experiencing the banshee wail of the engines and the acrid smell of the fuel fumes for around 4 hours I figured never again. Any enjoyment was lost in trying to get to the venue and trying to get out of the venue. You gotta love crowds that make the evening push to get on a train at dhoby ghaut like a picnic in the park.

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 10:04 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:It's not an actual flight sim... realistic cockpit but no motion at all.

Is there a full flight sim with motion available in Sing?

As for the race, F1 is one of those rare sports that are way better to watch on tv than actually being there.

I went once and sat in the Padang Grandstand. Luckily there was a huge screen on the other side of the track or we would have lost track of who's in the lead, etc. The good thing was that the entrance was from the southern side (from the river) and I went in about 20 minutes before the race, no line at security (took me about 1-2 mins to clear in total) and I was in my seat a couple of minutes later. I have heard that some of the other entrances were a bit busy though...

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 10:07 pm

Im a big F1 fan myself. Never had the chance to go in Spain (I live 1100 Km away from Barcelona) but in my first month in SG I went to KL for the race.

Before the trip I was thinking that it was something that I would do once in the live for the experience, but not worthy to go again.

After the trip I confirm 100% the above. I don't regret going there, but also I will not go again. The experience was good, but just that, an experience, not a real race enjoyment. As Aster says, you see the race much better on TV. On track you don't know about pit-stops, overtaking, ... except you are lucky to have a big screen quite near

If not really a big fan but wants to try the experience, I think a better/worse seat is not going to make a difference.

Lynsey

Postby Lynsey » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:37 am

Hi

We went last year and had tickets for the padang grandstand - it was my first experience of live F1 and thought it was a great weekend.

This year we have tickets for Connaught - so same zone but different seats.

There is loads going on and yeah its not a great race to watch compared to others, but if you can you should definatly go and enjoy than watch it on telly knowing its going on round the corner!!!

It is a lot of money but good experience!!!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:56 am

Parachuting lessons will take you to another level of challenge and out of your comfort zone, make life long changes and face your fears! :lol: Character building is much more challenging and fun.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:13 pm

ksl wrote:Parachuting lessons will take you to another level of challenge and out of your comfort zone, make life long changes and face your fears! :lol: Character building is much more challenging and fun.

Having done both, I'd go for Bungie jumping for the better challenge and being further out of your comfort zone. Jumping out of a plane 10K feet in the air with something that will let you down easy ain't the same as hurtling head first towards something rushing up at an ever increasing speed a measured in MPH with a destinations measured in feet! And the only thing to stop you is a rubber band that DON'T have a reserve chute!

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Postby BigSis » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:18 pm

I bought my husband the 3 day walkabout ticket for the first year it was on here and he bought one for himself last year, but he ended up selling the one for the Sunday last year as he got fed up wandering around on his own and he said he prefers to watch the actual race on TV as you don't get to see as much when you're there.

They were selling single day tickets last year and we had planned to all get one and go as a family on the Friday night this year but they're not selling them. I contacted them to ask about that and they said they don't know if they're going to do it this year yet (I have a sneaking feeling that they're waiting to see how well the 3 day tickets sell first), but if they do start selling single day tickets nearer to the time, I think that might be a better option for someone who just wants to get a bit of the atmosphere, or you could do what he did and buy the 3 day ticket and then sell the Sunday one - that way you'd both get to have some of the experience and you might make back most of your money by selling the Sunday one.

SteveP79

Postby SteveP79 » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 2:25 pm

As another pretty big F1 fan, I also have to agree with what's been said before - it's much better to watch the race on TV. If you can find a grandstand near a giant TV screen, that's great, but at home you get pretty much the same broadcast but with a more comfortable chair, cheaper beer, and no queue for the toilet.

That said, I've never actually experienced a grandstand seat - last year i lucked into some free passes as I was working at the GP, but couldn't use them myself. The people i gave them to said they had a great time, but I'm sure some of that was just being polite and grateful for free tickets.

My advice is to try to get a Saturday or 3-day walkaround ticket - much much cheaper, you get the experience of being there and hearing just how loud the cars are, and then get to watch the race from the comfort of your own home/hotel.

tall cat

Postby tall cat » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:45 pm

agree with steve on this..
buy a 1 day tix for Saturday (friday might be abit boring since the crowd has not hype up yet!)
i suspect a walkabout will be good enough if you don't get tired easily
enjoy sunday from the comfort of your home..after a good dinner and with a good bottle of wine.
always happy to make a new fren...