Singapore Expats Forum

Cantankerous coots & codgers convention

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
sundaymorningstaple

Cantankerous coots & codgers convention

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Apr 2010 11:03 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
ksl wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you are a diploma holder then I'd say if you are doing over 24K/pa then you are pretty on the ball. But yes, it could get rough.l

ksl, yeah, I'm up for a pint or three if you think your ticker can handle it! :P I'd say we are overdue! :lol:
Then maybe we need to contact bluethunder too and discuss where to meet and what day. Addadude if your reading let us know, what suits you best.

Can you old farts add a young guy to the equation? How about Naughty Girl? Or, too hard on the ticker(s)? :)

Missed this. Got to thinking about it this morning and really had to search for it. I'm up for this. I think it's about time actually!

You both are welcome to join us.

We've been using a venue out by ksl's place (Kovan) as jugs are very reasonable and the music not so loud that we can talk without getting hoarse. If anybody knows of a suitable location that is a bit more central but easy on the budget and links as well then let's do it. We've been doing it on a Friday in the past and while we missed the mark this week can we try for next Friday, the 23rd? I'm usually the only one who HAS to work on Saturday but I have ONE Saturday off a month (24th) so that gives us a week to sort this out.

Let me know availability, either Friday or Saturday or both.

I'm in, either day.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:06 pm

Also, while I know some of us are okay with Kovan, we might need suitable venue suggestions with reasonable costs & not too loud music as with more people Kovan might be a bit far out.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 2:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Also, while I know some of us are okay with Kovan, we might need suitable venue suggestions with reasonable costs & not too loud music as with more people Kovan might be a bit far out.
I'm up for it Friday or Saturday!

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Grumpy77 » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 8:57 pm

Jeez, I'm cantankerous but not sure if a coot or a codger...

Do you allow just anybody to come to your convention? I'd enjoy having a pint or three on Friday.

Cheers n thanks,

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 8:54 am

Friday night is Saint George's Day so I'll be down my local which is celebrating it, London Pride for $10 a pint and they will be doing pies and roast beef sandwiches :cool:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 9:00 am

Wadda they charge for normal local brew? Anything reasonable? Is the place conversation conducive? Give us a lowdown or send me a PM.

Oh, Happy Birftday! And you too Plavt if'n you see this!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 2:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Wadda they charge for normal local brew? Anything reasonable? Is the place conversation conducive? Give us a lowdown or send me a PM.

Oh, Happy Birftday! And you too Plavt if'n you see this!

Stella is $11.50 inclusive of GST/Service charge. Very friendly smallish bar with a great mix of expat and local clientele. Not a particularly noisy place just background music unless one of the Aunties wins at Balut!

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 6:25 pm

I'm interested. (Anything to do with the consumption of alcohol will usually do the trick!). Kovan or otherwise.

For a more central location, I would recommend my local office boozer, Spinners on Duxton Road. (About the only non-girly bar there!) They do all night two-for-one deals - Erdinger @ $25 for two large glasses. Very local-style bar, not too busy, the music (70's and 80's rock) is fairly low volume allowing easy conversation. Very friendly owners too - if that's important!
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 8:00 pm

ksl, would you mind updating us on the prices of brew at the Kovan place?

And what's available as well (brand wise). I think it's only local and maybe Heineken or Carlsberg as it's in the heartlands already! :lol:

What's the jug & draft prices as well.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:07 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:ksl, would you mind updating us on the prices of brew at the Kovan place?

And what's available as well (brand wise). I think it's only local and maybe Heineken or Carlsberg as it's in the heartlands already! :lol:

What's the jug & draft prices as well.

I'll check these out on Wednesday!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 6:50 am

Grumpy77, you've got mail.

Shin83
Regular
Regular

Postby Shin83 » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 4:17 pm

Hi SMS, I'm 27/m codger. I'm not sure if i'm underage to join your convention.
Something that need to be invented:
a grin emoticon

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 9:57 pm

Kovan a jug which holds 4 beers is 18, happy hr stops at 7 pm
They sell Tiger at $5 pr glass Heineken & Hoegaarden 330ml is 6$
there is a bucket which holds 4 bottles and you save 4$ and house wine. Food as you know is fairly cheap.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:34 am

I'm all for a change, so Saints place will be fine with me on Friday! And the pie Mmm looking forward to it!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:03 pm

Ok, the dog and bone address is 106 upper east coast road siglap. If you fancy coming down pm me and I'll give you my mobile number. I'll be there from about 8ish onwards.

Return to “Events, Gatherings, Making Friends”