Singapore Expats Forum

Employment Pass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
happybonnie

Employment Pass

Postby happybonnie » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:04 pm

I have a reputable university degree from the US, and been working in Asia for the past couple years.

I am relocating to Singapore and have received some offers, pay range from SG3000-3800. And, right now I want to prepare the documents for the employment pass.

To apply for the employment pass, is the scanned university degree enough? Because I left my original in the US, and do not have a certified copy with me. Do they need to see the original? Also, it looks like I will need employment testimonials - what kind of documents is that? Will payroll slips suffice?

Will greatly appreciate if someone can answer with your experience, thank you very much!

Thank you!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:22 am

happybonnie,

Please do not spam multiple identical posts through out the forums. We frown upon that. Most who read these thread don't like seeing the same one over and over. Andy duplicates will be deleted.

amarettoSour
Regular
Regular

Postby amarettoSour » Sat, 17 Apr 2010 11:14 am

in my experience unless they ask to see your actual diploma a scanned copy will suffice. sometimes they do ask to see the actual thing after your EP has been approved though. i know a couple of friends who were asked of this, but they never asked mine.

i also didn't submit any employer testimonial. i think that's optional?

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:18 pm

Payroll slips will probably suffice. I just emailed my past employers with an email stating, 'would you please confirm the information below by responding to this email in the affirmative", then listing my title, dates of employment, and salary.

happybonnie

Postby happybonnie » Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:27 pm

Hi moderator - sorry abt that, I am new here. Thanks for letting me know, and will keep that in mind in the future :)

Thanks to others for helping me out, greatly appreciated :)

So, if the company is applying the work permit for me, I can provide them my payroll slip or an email confirming my previous employment, right?

Thanks again!

wwzmach

Postby wwzmach » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 8:36 am

interesting thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 9:18 am

wwzmach wrote:interesting thanks

Seeing you are posting from an IP in Mexico, I'll just bet you do find it interesting!

tic....toc....tic....toc.... :wave:

Postby 24601 » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 6:01 pm

Happybonnie,

I just had my EP approved a couple of weeks ago and I only sent a scanned copyof education certificates (though you have to show the originals when you arrive to pick up your card.

I didn't see anything relating to the employer testimonials but what they're interested in the number of years work experience (relevant to the role you've applied to) and the previous salary you've earned. I just filled this out into the form but supplied no evidence. No problem getting it approved though was pretty quick and painless!

Hope it goes well!

happybonnie

Postby happybonnie » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 8:02 pm

Hi thanks!

Oh no, so I can't pick it up until I have showed the originals? Maybe I can show my transcript to pick it up?

Is that the same for everyone?

Postby 24601 » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 8:49 pm

TBH I'm not sure how religiously they apply the pair of eyes check.... You may be ok. But saying that if you've only just submitted it you'll have plenty of time to get someone to ship it over so maybe worth doing it just in case. Plus it's useful to keep it with you in case you want to change employer or your employer asks to see it.

My new company told me to bring originals or everything education certificates, birth certificates etc as they can ask to see all (or I guess none) or these in person.

Hope that helps!

K

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:05 pm

Let's put it another way. You are supposed to be Foreign "Talent". If you want to remain that way, tis better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it. Make sense?

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sun, 25 Apr 2010 1:25 am

Agree with SMS. I would think employer testimonials are references from an employer(s).
One man's meat is another's poison.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby FaeLLe » Sun, 25 Apr 2010 2:21 am

happybonnie wrote:Hi thanks!

Oh no, so I can't pick it up until I have showed the originals? Maybe I can show my transcript to pick it up?

Is that the same for everyone?

Hi,

I picked up my EP card a few weeks ago. The only thing I submited to my employer were scanned PDFs of my certificates. Did not show anything to MOM.

Unless your IPA or EP issuance letter explicitly states that you need to bring any documents with you then the only things you need to carry for the e-Appointment (where they fingerprint you) are,

- Your company endorsed IPA
- Medical test report if asked to perform one, otherwise the signed medical deceleration form
- Passport
- Photo (optional or they will take one of you) - Faster if you carry one
- White disembarkation card (Very important - Apply for duplicate if lost)

But if I were you I would arrange to get the certificates courier over.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Apr 2010 9:39 am

Let's put it slightly differently.

The Government of Singapore, often does not check very thoroughly unless they suspect there might be something amiss. Having said that, while they don't always ask to see the original documents, if one would look at it from a realistic POV. Anything you put on a Government Application MUST be able to be verified with ORIGINAL documentation if requested. After all, tis you are hoping to not be found wanting in order to work here. It would be embarrassing to get your EP and 6 months down the road, be visited by MOM for potentially having fraudulent documentation and a request made to see the originals which you could not produce.

I've said this on this board before, and I say it again. Last year I lost two employees (Engineers) when MOM waltzed into our office one afternoon (a field team of 3). They wanted to pick up both engineers but couldn't because they worked in the field and not in the office. We had to take 'em down to the Foreign Manpower Centre opposite Great World the next morning where they were detained over night. Eventually, because they could not produce acceptable original documents, they were sent back to their country.

The rules are there. The policy of MOM is not necessarily to inspect all docs, but they retain the right to do so at their leisure. If you run foul of them if they do ask, you will be sent packing post haste. So, it's better, before deciding to become an "Expatriate" that you have originals of all your documents (if you are arriving alone, you might also want to ensure that you have all original documents for other things as well that could impact you possibly in the future. Things like Marriage Certs, Divorce Decrees, Children's original Birth certificates. Bankruptcy discharges, all these could impact decisions you might make in the future.

Oh, I've had to produce all at one time or another in the 28 years I've been here. But, I've got them all in one place and high res scans of all of them in several locations as well (although they are not original).

Better to have and not need rather than the other way round. Just because one did not have their documents eye-balled, don't mean you wont. It's just like identity checks. Immigration officers might as to see your ID's if you are out somewhere. You have to carry your ID with you at all times here. If you are picked up without it, sure a phone call to someone who will arrange to deliver it will get you released, but by following the rules, you wouldn't have been held up in the first place. Forewarned is forearmed.