Singapore Expats Forum

Gold

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Gold

Postby raden888 » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 2:25 pm

I'm just wondering if anyone here has invested in gold. What are the pros and cons?

It seems that in Singapore UOB sells gold over the counter albeit a bit kindy i.e Canadian Maple leaf, Australian Kangaroo nuggets...eh? The other option is to open either a gold or silver account.

Gold seems like a more stable long term investment scheme than say stocks plus the idea of owning gold bars is kinda cool too.:lol:

Any pointers? Thanks in advance.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 3:12 pm

Figure out how to go back to around 2005 or so when it was down to around USD 500/oz not the current USD 1150/oz. At the moment I'd say it's not quite the right time to be buying. Unless you know sumtin' I don't! :o

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 3:28 pm

Financial Guru's have historically suggested that you should have gold in your portfolio, as an insurance and as a diversifier. Its a good hedge during times of financial crisis.

But nobody saw gold as something that can give returns relative to the inflation rate.

Off late its the depreciating dollar and the problems that EU is having, that has caused central banks like India and China to move their reserves into gold instead of paper currencies, which has caused the recent run.

Nobody can say where the price of gold is going. Just treat it as an asset class that should be in your portfolio. How much of it? I wouldnt put more than 10%.

Being an Indian I already have significant exposure to it by way of my wife's jewellery. She keeps asking me when she will get her next necklace and I tell her when the gold price moves below 1000$. Not sure whether that will happen though. :x