Singapore Expats Forum

Honking/horning in cars

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Postby missis » Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:52 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
missis wrote:Nah, Ho Chi Minh City has got to be THE place for most abuse of the horn - albeit mainly by scooter/moped users so is more of a peep peep constant noise as opposed to blaring horns!

Actually, I've done a lot of motorcycle riding in HCMC and Ha Noi and the horns are not abused at all. They are warning and indicator sounds... you get real used to how they work when riding in heavy traffic and will soon be doing it yourself if you plan on riding safely in either city.

Ah, ok. When you're there it just seems like a cacophony of noise...! As if everyone just keeps beeping as they go along!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 17 Apr 2010 11:03 am

missis wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
missis wrote:Nah, Ho Chi Minh City has got to be THE place for most abuse of the horn - albeit mainly by scooter/moped users so is more of a peep peep constant noise as opposed to blaring horns!

Actually, I've done a lot of motorcycle riding in HCMC and Ha Noi and the horns are not abused at all. They are warning and indicator sounds... you get real used to how they work when riding in heavy traffic and will soon be doing it yourself if you plan on riding safely in either city.

Ah, ok. When you're there it just seems like a cacophony of noise...! As if everyone just keeps beeping as they go along!

No question... a huge bunch of noise. They do all beep as they go along. You beep if you are going to overtake a bike in front of you, or if a bike is about to ride sideways into you. You beep when going through an intersection to try and catch the attention of those that should cross behind you.

It doesn't always work... Vietnam has one of the highest motorcycle mortality rates in the world... horning a bus running at 80 kph is usually quite ineffective.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Honking/horning in cars

Postby Splatted » Sat, 17 Apr 2010 9:38 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
JR8 wrote:Why do they need to honk when ever they go around a 90 degree bend? Does this miraculously absolve them if they run someone over?

Funny, that's about the one thing i've never see them do.

I do it always... when driving a smart-car. Not so much with other vehicles.

It's a combination of lazy steering wheel turning technique, and inconvenient positioning of car horn button.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 3:28 pm

Agree,. when I was there it was for pure survival and although it was nerve-wracking, it was the safer alternative.

Strong Eagle wrote:

Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 3:30 pm

You have now officially been here too long.

Try getting that unfortunate lexicon out of your vernacular....

Strong Eagle wrote:d... horning....
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

boluptuous

Postby boluptuous » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 9:54 pm

JR8 wrote:Back on track

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXaZmY52gHM
AC/DC - Back in Black )

Listen to the latter while reading the former :)

.... sorry, what was the question? :-D

hahahhaha! :D