Singapore Expats

moving to Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 7:23 pm

you have enough post to PM now I believe :wink:

For playgroups/ kindie for 16 months old... can't help you there as my daughter is more in end of kindergarten/primary zone.

Didn't have to look into it.

East Coast is superb from what I've seen... but on our part we decided against it in the end...

As given the school we got Little Miss admitted in.... she wouldn't have had transportation organized by the school.

Depending where you work, what you do in a day commuting can quickly become a hassle ( all in singaporean proportion indeed... :wink: )

On our part we ended up on Thomson rd... this way Little Miss and hubby have each about half an hour commuting by public transportation/ school bus

p.s. 10K as accomodation budget gets you in a nice place... prices are not as infamous here as in HK

mortlock2005
Regular
Regular

Post by mortlock2005 » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 7:36 pm

You would easily find a nice place with facilities with a budget of $10k on the East Coast. There is a lovely condo just at the beginning of east coast (close to city) called Pebble Bay where a friend of mine lives. Houses are also really affordable. A nicely renovated three bedroom terrace house two doors up from me (in Siglap) went for $6.5. Your budget will go a lot further on the East Coast.

There are many local-run nursery/pre-school places all over singapore. I would recommend checking them out and meeting the actual teachers/carers. Some are good, and some are not. Many of them will take children from 18 months. I was particularly keen to find a place that focused on play based education (like we'd do in Australian pre-school and kinder), and also where the carers spoke less "Singlish".

Foreign schools seem to take kids from about 2.5 years. The most popular foreign schools on the East Coast seem to be Eaton House, Canadian School, Chatsworth International, and Rosemount Kindergarten. There is also United World College who will be moving to Tampines later this year (about a 15 minute drive). Most other International Schools that I'm aware of are quite a distance from East Coast.