Singapore Expats

The 'Best credit cards for air miles accrual' master thread

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 30 Jun 2014 7:47 am

Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Brah wrote: why?
Ok maybe a bit of an exaggeration. I avoid them now unless they're the only option. I've found that most of the time after all of the taxes and fees they tack on to their advertised price, I'm much closer to the big name (CX, SQ, or VN as I often flew them to VN) ticket than you'd think. So by that point, the extra $100-200 is generally worth the much better experience.
For Bangalore, there are only 3 direct flights. SQ, SilkAir and Tiger. SQ and SilkAir are usually exactly double of Tiger prices. Also if you want to book just one way Tiger prices stay constant whereas SilkAir and SQ one is more expensive than 2 way.

For us, Tiger has been one of the best things about staying in Singapore, after Mustafa, that connects us with India :) Also the timings are just perfect. The flights are in the night and fly from Terminal 2 which has the Indian restaurant Ananda Bhavan open 24 hrs and the flight is just 4 and 1/2 hrs. Eat at the restaurant and also pack some for the flight, no problems :)
Yeah, and their flights between BLR and SIN are at such *terrible* times it completely justifies being half the cost of SQ/MI.

You being the frugal middle-class Indian (don't take that the wrong way, I mean it in the most endearing way possible), I'm not surprised by your reply. You did help me put my finger on it, thanks. Flying Tiger *anywhere* feels exactly like every domestic flight I've ever taken in India (especially to/from third-rate shit airports like the old Managalore one or BBSR). The milling about of people trying to check in, inconsiderate passengers pushing their way or cutting in line to board, block the aisles, trying to load their hand-baggage, etc.

At least IndiGo has cute FAs.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 30 Jun 2014 8:51 am

Seen this? I got it in one of those new annoying FB ads
http://www.enjoycompare.com/credit-card ... redit+card

Compare Credit Cards Singapore

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 30 Jun 2014 10:57 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Ok maybe a bit of an exaggeration. I avoid them now unless they're the only option. I've found that most of the time after all of the taxes and fees they tack on to their advertised price, I'm much closer to the big name (CX, SQ, or VN as I often flew them to VN) ticket than you'd think. So by that point, the extra $100-200 is generally worth the much better experience.
For Bangalore, there are only 3 direct flights. SQ, SilkAir and Tiger. SQ and SilkAir are usually exactly double of Tiger prices. Also if you want to book just one way Tiger prices stay constant whereas SilkAir and SQ one is more expensive than 2 way.

For us, Tiger has been one of the best things about staying in Singapore, after Mustafa, that connects us with India :) Also the timings are just perfect. The flights are in the night and fly from Terminal 2 which has the Indian restaurant Ananda Bhavan open 24 hrs and the flight is just 4 and 1/2 hrs. Eat at the restaurant and also pack some for the flight, no problems :)
Yeah, and their flights between BLR and SIN are at such *terrible* times it completely justifies being half the cost of SQ/MI.

You being the frugal middle-class Indian (don't take that the wrong way, I mean it in the most endearing way possible), I'm not surprised by your reply. You did help me put my finger on it, thanks. Flying Tiger *anywhere* feels exactly like every domestic flight I've ever taken in India (especially to/from third-rate shit airports like the old Managalore one or BBSR). The milling about of people trying to check in, inconsiderate passengers pushing their way or cutting in line to board, block the aisles, trying to load their hand-baggage, etc.

I lol'ed a lot! btw there is a new alternative to fly to BLR, via MH and since the loss of the MH370, passenger traffic is low and they are offering a two way SG - > KL - > BLR at around 400, with a 1 hour transfer delay at KL
it isn't a bad deal but the hassle of changing flights at KL and arriving at midnight at Bangalore? no thank you!
Tiger once lost a bag belonging to my mom, refunded flight costs as compensation instead.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 30 Jun 2014 12:51 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Ok maybe a bit of an exaggeration. I avoid them now unless they're the only option. I've found that most of the time after all of the taxes and fees they tack on to their advertised price, I'm much closer to the big name (CX, SQ, or VN as I often flew them to VN) ticket than you'd think. So by that point, the extra $100-200 is generally worth the much better experience.

Timings are perfect. The flight from SIN to BLR is at 10 PM and you reach BLR at 12 midnight local time. It cant get better than that. I mean friday evening you leave office and catch the flight and you are in your house in Bangalore by 1 AM and you have the whole weekend with you and if you can then catch the return flight at 12 midnight from Bangalore and you are in SIngapore early morning Monday at 8:30AM and you can go for work.

So weekend trip to Bangalore possible :)

For me terrible timings are anything that start early morning like 6 AM, 7 AM etc. I also dont like afternoon flights, waste of time.
Last edited by Wd40 on Mon, 30 Jun 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 30 Jun 2014 12:54 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote: I lol'ed a lot! btw there is a new alternative to fly to BLR, via MH and since the loss of the MH370, passenger traffic is low and they are offering a two way SG - > KL - > BLR at around 400, with a 1 hour transfer delay at KL
it isn't a bad deal but the hassle of changing flights at KL and arriving at midnight at Bangalore? no thank you!
Tiger once lost a bag belonging to my mom, refunded flight costs as compensation instead.
True, for a journey that is 4 and 1/2 hrs its insane to fly with a stop in KL, Chennai or anywhere else. I was getting the same fare by Jetairways, Srilankan, Air India and MH, but no thanks. I prefer direct.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 30 Jun 2014 1:24 pm

zzm9980 wrote:You being the frugal middle-class Indian (don't take that the wrong way, I mean it in the most endearing way possible), I'm not surprised by your reply.
I once heard from a bloomberg reporter(American) that people generally if they are paying out of their own pockets, want the cheapest fare. If your ticket is provided by the company, you want all the bells and whistles. Also people who accumulate a lot of miles on their credit cards from flights made out of company travel and then use those miles for personal travel, of course wont fly tiger ;)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: The 'Best credit cards for air miles accrual' master thread

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 10:54 am

Bumping this thread. It seems a lot of the mileage cards have lowered their reward points. My Citi PremierMiles card now only gives 2 points for every overseas dollar.

What's the best deals out there for Credit cards, focused on rewarding airline miles, and heavy overseas spend? Also prefer flexibility in redemption (not one fixed airline), but my requirement is just the choice of Singapore or Cathay (Asia miles)

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 10 Jul 2015 3:09 pm

zzm9980 wrote: What's the best deals out there for Credit cards, focused on rewarding airline miles, and heavy overseas spend? Also prefer flexibility in redemption (not one fixed airline), but my requirement is just the choice of Singapore or Cathay (Asia miles)
HSBC Infinite has the following, for example.....but depends on your meaning of the word "heavy" for your spending :P :-k :-"

Year 1 S$1 = 1 Mile (Local Spend)
- S$1 = 2 Miles (Overseas)
Year 2+ S$1 = 1.25 Miles (Local) on Minimum S$50k Spend Previous Year
- S$1 = 2.25 Miles (Overseas)
Year 2+ S$1 = 1.5 Miles (Local) on Minimum Spend S$75k Spend Previous Year
- S$1 = 2.5 Miles (Overseas)

Transfer to either KrisFlyer or AsiaMiles.

Add free Limo from any address in Singapore to the airport, Priority Pass Card and Fast Track Immigration at a few airports (think, Jakarta, HCM and Bangkok as examples) and suddenly the S$500 Annual Fee pays itself back very easily for a frequent traveller.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

komatineni

Post by komatineni » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 5:51 pm

Looks good. Especially the fast track :)

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 22 Aug 2015 8:22 am

UOB One my favorite credit card has changed their terms. Now minimum spend is $500 to get 3.33% rebate. So out of my wallet that card goes!

Now my current favorite card is ANZ Optimum as I get 5% rebate of a particular category I can choose(like Restaurants/Groceries etc)

L.Jaff

Post by L.Jaff » Fri, 27 Nov 2015 6:15 pm

Which gives better mileage now? UOB or Citibank?