Singapore Expats Forum

Great Barrier Grief

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Great Barrier Grief

Postby ozchick » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:02 pm

Well, now that the Great Barrier Reef has suffered the destruction of a lengthy section of coral and associated oil-leak with long-term negative effects likely, the Oz government in its great wisdom thinks that it'll assess whether ships are taking short-cuts through the region and then get tough on those who are caught doing this. :roll:
Dear Lord save me from the eejits in charge of Oz.
Last edited by ozchick on Thu, 15 Apr 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:13 pm

idjits are present in every country...for example those who voted against banning fishing of the blue fin tuna.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 15 Apr 2010 9:44 am

Please. You want ecological insanity, just look at the packets of shark's fin in your Local NTUC

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Thu, 15 Apr 2010 2:32 pm

nakatago wrote:idjits are present in every country...for example those who voted against banning fishing of the blue fin tuna.

A world-heritage site is the subject here. I can't imagine any government doing as little as Australia appears to have done to ensure the status of sanctuary to which the Great Barrier Reef is surely entitled.
It's pathetic. It really is.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 15 Apr 2010 2:40 pm

ozchick wrote:
nakatago wrote:idjits are present in every country...for example those who voted against banning fishing of the blue fin tuna.

A world-heritage site is the subject here. I can't imagine any government doing as little as Australia appears to have done to ensure the status of sanctuary to which the Great Barrier Reef is surely entitled.
It's pathetic. It really is.

said tuna is in danger of extinction because of overfishing and japan lobbied against the ban because "eating blue fin tuna is part of their culture" (it should be noted tuna eaters all over the world could have settled for yellow fin tuna which is NOT endangered...yet). and i have no disagreements about preserving the probably largest organism on earth--the great barrier reef.

in any case, i read somewhere, the ship wasn't taking a shortcut the crew was over-fatigued and realized too late that they veered off-course.

i don't know how oz enforces the law that no ship should be passing there in the first place. isn't that the coast guard's job? couldn't they put some sort of radar to sweep the area and look out for something as big as a ship? :???:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 15 Apr 2010 3:26 pm

I'm partial to a bit of whale myself.

Oh yes, get it on the Barbie, go on boy!!

Seriously tho, Bit of BBQd whale = top-notch like the best Wagyu beef you have dreamt of. Not sure who anyone thinks they are to deign to tell the Japanese, Norwegians, Icelanders that they must change their lifestyles....

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Apr 2010 3:47 pm

Nah, let 'em go on. They'll have not choice but to change once they are all extinct won't they. Then all we'll have are stuffed ones like the one at the Smithsonian Institute. They will go the way of the dodo bird.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 15 Apr 2010 4:02 pm

Yeah but.... whales aren't endangered are they?

At least not the ones they're hunting.

Shouldn't you direct your ire at fish-species that are endangered? Swordfish, Blue tuna, Marlin.... you know

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Thu, 15 Apr 2010 4:40 pm

BBQ Blue Fin Tuna is yummy ...Mmm! 8-)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Apr 2010 4:47 pm

So is swordfish except for the over the top mercury content!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 15 Apr 2010 5:20 pm

Yeah... A nice fillet of whale with some fresh spring vegetables will really sort you out. Reminds me of venison in a way.... damn shiok lah!

Swordfish ah? Mmm nice oso :)

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 15 Apr 2010 7:41 pm

The greatest destruction to the reef is actually caused by the strip mining in Queensland. They need to stop mining cheap coal to send to China, that would do more to improve the health of the reef than anything else.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 15 Apr 2010 8:41 pm

~Yeah but they won't will they

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 6:26 am

JR8 wrote:Yeah but.... whales aren't endangered are they?

At least not the ones they're hunting.

Shouldn't you direct your ire at fish-species that are endangered? Swordfish, Blue tuna, Marlin.... you know

That's the good thing about ire, plenty to go around! Why would something have to be endangered to take it off the menu?

Still eating dog, are you?

I gave up beef and pork a few years ago, not because I am a vegetarian or for health reasons but because philosophically I just couldn't ignore the reality of what was on my plate. I live in a rural state, I'd rather have the cows in the pastures.

Eating whale? Not trying to be punny, but I just can't fathom it.

As far as strip mining is concerned:
~Yeah but they won't will they

Sure they will, hopefully before the reef is damaged too extensively. Positive change is all around, but you have to work for it.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:43 am

Eating dog? No, can't say I've tried that. Though I did lap up a bowl of cat in China (pretty horrible, all ribs and gristle)

Don't eat pork or beef cos you'd rather see em standing in the fields? Okey doke, well they're standing in the fields to be food aren't they? lol