Singapore Expats

Do I need to pay my maid extra to babysit in the evening?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 1:17 pm

Frankly I find it hard to follow the color schemed argument above. But what I do find interesting is that no one would consider me a slave (since hey, I stay on through my own free will, but when you consider this:

I work 14 - 16 hours a day

Have no guaranteed vacation time

Am on call 24 hours a day

Have responsibilities that exceed definition

Get no compensation for over time

All for exactly $0/hour

Well, then it gets pretty murky.

I am not sure how it happened ~ but I have never found myself on this side of the maid issue. I can say I have never considered our maids family members, nor would any of my family members take money to babysit my kids! Can you imagine? "Here Grandma, there's $20 for your trouble..." Ridiculous!

Yes, we have brought maids back with us to the US twice. Disasters both times. We paid them their monthly rate for each week we were back even though they did much less work (and in fact really made more work, but that's another story). Each time they were allowed to choose between the US, home to the Philippines or stay at home in Singapore. Also our current maid makes a lot more than $400/month. Much more. Seems you have a lot of misconceptions influencing your indignation Splatted.

On to more important issues. Superglide! Stick a damn crowbar in your wallet and buy a new watch band for chrissakes!

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 1:35 pm

road.not.taken wrote:Frankly I find it hard to follow the color schemed argument above. But what I do find interesting is that no one would consider me a slave (since hey, I stay on through my own free will, but when you consider this:

I work 14 - 16 hours a day

Have no guaranteed vacation time

Am on call 24 hours a day

Have responsibilities that exceed definition

Get no compensation for over time

All for exactly $0/hour

Well, then it gets pretty murky.

I am not sure how it happened ~ but I have never found myself on this side of the maid issue. I can say I have never considered our maids family members, nor would any of my family members take money to babysit my kids! Can you imagine? "Here Grandma, there's $20 for your trouble..." Ridiculous!

Well yes, in real life as a mother/wife/husband/whatever you don't perform family duties for a pay. But if you were to select a 'fair' pay for a family member who, say, worked for another family. It wouldn't be zero. I was trying to illustrate what one perceives is 'fair' when it's someone else doing the work (and then daring to say they're being treated like family), and what's 'fair' when it's our own put in the same circumstance.

Yes, we have brought maids back with us to the US twice. Disasters both times. We paid them their monthly rate for each week we were back even though they did much less work (and in fact really made more work, but that's another story). Each time they were allowed to choose between the US, home to the Philippines or stay at home in Singapore. Also our current maid makes a lot more than $400/month. Much more. Seems you have a lot of misconceptions influencing your indignation Splatted.

On holiday, or permanently? I should have been clearer. Are you able to relocate your maid permanently to the US after your contract finishes in Singapore? I'm certain there are minimum wage laws in the US.

Out of curiosity, how much does your maid get? I quoted $400 because I heard that's what my (distant) inlaws pay, so it's not a misconception.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 2:37 pm

Splatted wrote:Out of curiosity, how much does your maid get? I quoted $400 because I heard that's what my (distant) inlaws pay, so it's not a misconception.
How can you have 'distant' in-laws? Isn't it just a binary condition? I understand for geography reasons, but it's not like there are degrees of separation, like cousins... :roll:

Anyway, you don't need to know how much our maid makes, I was only pointing out that you seem to want to lump all of us together and that's not a valid stance to keep arguing, even in this ridiculous diatribe. When you have a maid, you can choose to pay them overtime for babysitting, fair enough?

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 3:17 pm

road.not.taken wrote:
Splatted wrote:Out of curiosity, how much does your maid get? I quoted $400 because I heard that's what my (distant) inlaws pay, so it's not a misconception.
How can you have 'distant' in-laws? Isn't it just a binary condition? I understand for geography reasons, but it's not like there are degrees of separation, like cousins... :roll:

'Distant', as in we are not on close terms, nor get invited to anything by them. I'm not talking about the geographic distance.

Anyway, you don't need to know how much our maid makes, I was only pointing out that you seem to want to lump all of us together and that's not a valid stance to keep arguing, even in this ridiculous diatribe. When you have a maid, you can choose to pay them overtime for babysitting, fair enough?

You're the one painted me with the general brush as having many misconceptions as to the 'going rate' .. so please enlighten me of my error? What's the general rate? And why be embarrassed to share what you pay? It's not like anyone here will meet you or know your real identity.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 3:42 pm

Splatted wrote:
road.not.taken wrote:

'Distant', as in we are not on close terms, nor get invited to anything by them. I'm not talking about the geographic distance.

You're the one painted me with the general brush as having many misconceptions as to the 'going rate' .. so please enlighten me of my error? What's the general rate? And why be embarrassed to share what you pay? It's not like anyone here will meet you or know your real identity.
Oh dear. Splatted, some of us have met in person. It's uncouth to talk about such financial matters and you do have many a misconception, so a broad brush is the right tool! And on that happy note:

:wave:

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 4:06 pm

road.not.taken wrote:
Splatted wrote:
road.not.taken wrote: How can you have 'distant' in-laws? Isn't it just a binary condition? I understand for geography reasons, but it's not like there are degrees of separation, like cousins... :roll:

Oh dear. Splatted, some of us have met in person. It's uncouth to talk about such financial matters and you do have many a misconception, so a broad brush is the right tool! And on that happy note:

:wave:
meh, it's uncouth to label someone as having many misconceptions and not elaborate or back up what you mean. You are probably an exception and pay a higher rate. We'll never know

(and for the record, you brought your financial matters into this conversation first.)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 6:53 pm

. . . and Splatted does another Phoenix impersonation again . . .

. . . but still makes no sense in relation to Singapore

'nuff said Image

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 7:11 pm

Vaucluse wrote:You and I agree on that location . . . Firenze and the surrounding area . . . but you need a lot of money to realise that dream, unfortunately
Not exactly an inexpensive location indeed.

Working on it....
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 8:29 pm

Vaucluse wrote:. . . and Splatted does another Phoenix impersonation again . . .

and you've become great at this new dance.. the 'side-step'

.. ignoring the main point and focusing on trivialities when replying.

seems like road.less.taken has also been taking dancing lessons from you.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sun, 02 May 2010 11:07 am

Splatted wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:. . . and Splatted does another Phoenix impersonation again . . .

Yes, it's everyone else, not you . . .

$30/hour?

'nuff said Image

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Sun, 02 May 2010 11:32 am

Vaucluse wrote:
Splatted wrote:

Yes, it's everyone else, not you . . .

$30/hour?
thanks Vaucluse for illustrating my point perfectly.

Anyone reading back can see the main crux of my statement is that you are deluded / dishonest in your belief you treat a maid as good as a family member.

This perpetual slight of hand, or focus on trivialities, and focus on anything else other than the topic of conversation is obviously a desperate last ditch effort by someone who knows they are fighting a lost argument or trying to defend the undefendable to try and discredit the other party. Very sad and desperate tact.

Keep it up. :D

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sun, 02 May 2010 1:36 pm

Splatted wrote: Anyone reading back can see the main crux of my statement is that you are deluded / dishonest in your belief you treat a maid as good as a family member.

defend the undefendable
And your experience in this field makes you uniquely unqualified to comment, really . . .

As for 'defend the undefendable' (sic) . . . yes, well . . . unqualified and barely literate.

Have a nice day. :)

(I have a personal bet on you saying 14 times that this will be your last post . . . only eight to go . . . you can do it)

'nuff said Image

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Sun, 02 May 2010 2:16 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
Splatted wrote: Anyone reading back can see the main crux of my statement is that you are deluded / dishonest in your belief you treat a maid as good as a family member.

defend the undefendable
And your experience in this field makes you uniquely unqualified to comment, really . . .
And do tell what sort of experience one needs to poke holes in the sort of nonsense you've been spewing here.

Yeah, you give shampoo, soap, and board to your maid. OOOOhhHH.. such a charitable humanitarian. I can see clearly how the maid feels part of the family. Just because I don't have a maid doesn't make my opinion any less a valid one. You have to try a lot harder than that. Smells like desperation on your part.
Vaucluse wrote: As for 'defend the undefendable' (sic) . . . yes, well . . . unqualified and barely literate.
"Undefendable" was referring to your view point. But don't beat yourself up Vauclause, I wont hold your lack of qualification or literacy against you.

Undefendable/Indefensible.. who cares which word it is? Once again, another example of you trying to steer the conversation away from point. What's next? punctuation? spelling?

Vaucluse wrote: (I have a personal bet on you saying 14 times that this will be your last post . . . only eight to go . . . you can do it)
And here is the bait. If I say it's my last post, Vauclause resorts to personal attacks saying a person is clueless. If the poster comes back, he taunts him for coming back. Trollish behaviour by someone who knows they lost the argument long ago.
Vaucluse wrote: Have a nice day. :)
Oh, and you too Vauclause.
8-)

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 02 May 2010 5:55 pm

Splatted wrote:But again, I'll repeat,.. if the long hours and ridiculously low pay is what they knowingly signed up for before stepping foot in the country, then they got exactly what they wanted.

Sorry splatted such a statement is simply garbage or at least as good as; a good many girls living in various Asian countries see developed nations 'through rose tinted glasses'. Either their poor education or subjugation of women not least by their own culture or societies see to that. On a personal note my Filipina friends at least one Korean could not understand why there are drugs related problems, unemployment and poverty in Europe.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 02 May 2010 6:02 pm

Splatted wrote: Yeah, you give shampoo, soap, and board to your maid. OOOOhhHH.. such a charitable humanitarian. I can see clearly how the maid feels part of the family.
Actually the smallest of mercies for for a girls from some of the poorer countries can make the world of difference. Not a few filipinas love to have a mobile phone along with cosmetics and other worldly goods. I will leave it to your imagination just how some might pay for such commodities.