Singapore Expats

Confused re. career search - all advice much appreciated!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:42 pm

It could be either/or. You would have to check with the HR department if it's not spelled out clearly. I would think it would be receipted ultimately. But they could be just giving you a fixed allowance and if it costs more you have to top it up. Kinda like some housing allowances. They give you what they anticipate will be your housing costs and you can live wherever you want. If you spend less, you pocket the diff. Best to check with HR though first. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It could be either/or. You would have to check with the HR department if it's not spelled out clearly. I would think it would be receipted ultimately. But they could be just giving you a fixed allowance and if it costs more you have to top it up. Kinda like some housing allowances. They give you what they anticipate will be your housing costs and you can live wherever you want. If you spend less, you pocket the diff. Best to check with HR though first. :wink:
Thanks SMS.

What's the 'usual' go regarding what's covered. For example, if I discard/sell all my furniture and buy new upon arrival in Singapore.. would that be covered... or is it normally just shipping stuff via container.

Actually, the lot would be easy to spend after you take into account flights etc.

Actually the 2 year bond was only brought up after I asked whether there was a relocation allowance. And that I would have to refund pro-rata if I left this job early.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:17 pm

That one is a can of worms. It varies from company to company. I don't think that there is any one size fits all for that. You need to flatly ask HR to spell out what is covered in the allowance IF you have to account for the amounts spend by receipts to the company. If you are going to be given a flat allowance in cash to take care of this without you having to account for it to them, it up to you how to disperse the funds.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

khurram1981

ACCA

Post by khurram1981 » Sun, 16 May 2010 9:24 pm

Hi
SMS

I am still in my country plaaning to fly to SG for better job as accountant. If recruitment agencies are not good then how to get a job in a months time?

khurram1981

Job for Accountant

Post by khurram1981 » Sun, 16 May 2010 9:28 pm

Hi SMS

Being a professional experienced accountant how to get a good job just in one month as every one says Recruitment agencies are not good to ask for job?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 May 2010 10:27 pm

Frankly speaking, unless you are extremely lucky, it's not going to happen. Singapore is full of accountant with heaps of experience. Unless you have a very niche skillset, you might find you need anywhere from 6 month to a year. And it might not happen at all if the company cannot express suitably why they need to hire a foreigner instead of a local of which there are suitable numbers available.

khurram1981

Think +ve

Post by khurram1981 » Mon, 17 May 2010 1:54 pm

Do you have any thing positive to say to foriegners who are looking for job pleas

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Fri, 21 May 2010 1:38 am

khurram1981, sorry to burst your bubble. You may get lucky, but at this point of time it may be harder to get a job than being lucky to get a job.

Unless you have tons of money to spare for rental, food, transportation, etc daily necessities, else don't come.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 21 May 2010 5:13 am

irvine wrote:khurram1981, sorry to burst your bubble. You may get lucky, but at this point of time it may be harder to get a job than being lucky to get a job.

Unless you have tons of money to spare for rental, food, transportation, etc daily necessities, else don't come.
Ahh...C'mom Irv if Khurram1981 wants to come , let him come as we are only giving anecdotal advise and not 100% correct all the time :wink:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 May 2010 7:03 am

Yeah, hopefully, he didn't have to work to hard for the money he's going to have to donate to the Singapore economy while looking, which could be a while. He could still end up going home empty handed AND empty pocketed. But he shouldn't believe us. We are only nameless beings in cyberspace - what do we know.

:-k

Tell you what. Sell everything you've got, get on a plane and get yourself here in a hurry. Jobs are everywhere and you can name your salary just about. They will probably be falling over their feet to get to you as you step off the plane. Might even roll out a red carpet for one more "Foreigner" who thinks he's dog's gift to the world. Don't waste any more time as time is money. There are lot's here who want your money so khurram1981, 'come on down'!

Better? :roll:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 21 May 2010 12:19 pm

Just to shed some light on today, paper two days ago said there was 124,000 application for PR and only and 24000 for citizenship, 46,300 approved for PR and 19,300 for citizenship.
Application for Long Term Visitor's pass 70,300 oly 56,300 approved. nothing about EP.

Data from march 2009 to April 2010. dated 19-5-2010 NP

Not at all easy to find work, though you have to fine tune, your ability to sell yourself, which is aother skill one needs to master.
Last edited by ksl on Fri, 21 May 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khurram1981

Post by khurram1981 » Fri, 21 May 2010 12:35 pm

thanks you all for your advices and sugggesions.

Any one of you from Accounting background pls do contact me or any one from big four firms.

thanks

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 21 May 2010 1:53 pm

khurram1981 wrote:thanks you all for your advices and sugggesions.

Any one of you from Accounting background pls do contact me or any one from big four firms.

thanks

#-o [-o< [-o<

khurram1981

Post by khurram1981 » Fri, 21 May 2010 2:22 pm

Any one from Big four firms pls contact me

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Fri, 21 May 2010 3:02 pm

khurram1981 wrote:Any one from Big four firms pls contact me
Perhaps you should contact them?