Singapore Expats

Problem buying an iPhone

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Sat, 08 May 2010 1:41 am

nakatago wrote: does apple have the right to do that? sure, but the problem is that jobs is being an over-productive ass about the iphone ecosystem. and speaking of class A dick move, the above was announced just before adobe is about to release cs5 which is a development tool for the iphone. more here.

Here's an open letter from Steve Jobs which explains Apple's rationale

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20003742-264.html

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 08 May 2010 2:17 am

read that weeks ago. Jefe has a point but he's also calling adobe black. They've gone so far from when they released that big brother ad in the 80's that they're now big brother. Full circle.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Sat, 08 May 2010 8:58 am

nakatago wrote:
it used to be that people got apple because it produced the meanest machines to run adobe photoshop. now, people get apple because having a phone that runs apps is a status symbol.

(again, there are exceptions so chill...)
There's a lot of apps for the Android OS. One can find a lot of free apps in the Android marketplace. :) Moreover, if you want to write your own app, phone manufacturers actually provide support (development kit and documentation) for you.

Google's "Don't be evil" motto is just great! :P
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Wellman
Regular
Regular

Post by Wellman » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 2:57 pm

Wellman wrote:
nakatago wrote:Apple fans may want to be on the lookout for this: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/ ... -4g-iphone
Looks good, I think I'll wait for the new version. However, I get the feeling its gonna be a lot more than 1240 bucks! :roll:
The iPhone 4g is going to be on sale sim free for 600 pounds, so about 1300 SGD.

I would sign up for a Singtel/Starhub contract but they charge 800+ for contract termination! :(

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Fri, 13 Aug 2010 2:35 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: I am not aware of any CDMA phones that have a SIM.
All CDMA phones released in India accept a SIM card, was surprising when I saw them.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 13 Aug 2010 2:44 pm

FaeLLe wrote:
All CDMA phones released in India accept a SIM card, was surprising when I saw them.
Technically, they're not sim cards. however, there are cards that will work on both GSM and CDMA networks. I should know; I've worked on those cards. :wink:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Fri, 13 Aug 2010 2:45 pm

nakatago wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:
Technically, they're not sim cards. however, there are cards that will work on both GSM and CDMA networks. I should know; I've worked on those cards. :wink:
You are right a SIM card is more so a term associated with GSM networks I guess.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Fri, 13 Aug 2010 2:55 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:All phones in Singapore must be sold unlocked (thank you IDA). However, in the US, the clowns at AT&T would not sell me a data plan since they did not sell me the phone. Their service is worse than a 3rd world country, with apologies to 3rd world countries that may have been offended.

This made me laugh! I can appreciate the sentiment - and the aggravation.