Singapore Expats Forum

Where can I get some touristy postcards of Singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 20 Dec 2009

Where can I get some touristy postcards of Singapore?

Postby intellectualsmuse » Sun, 11 Apr 2010 8:22 pm

Went to the mall, to the post office... and I did not find any postcards with pictures of Singapore monuments or other such touristy stuff. Where can I get some?
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

User avatar
joop
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed, 23 Jul 2003
Location: Central, Singapore
Contact:

Lucky Plaza

Postby joop » Sun, 11 Apr 2010 8:23 pm

Try Lucky Plaza, there are a few shops there that sell tourist souvenirs.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Dating | Forum | Property
Image

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:55 pm

Did you try the tourist centre on Orchard Road?

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Re: Where can I get some touristy postcards of Singapore?

Postby Splatted » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 1:39 am

intellectualsmuse wrote:Went to the mall, to the post office... and I did not find any postcards with pictures of Singapore monuments or other such touristy stuff. Where can I get some?


I had the same issue.

It seems like they only sell them around Orchard area from what I've gathered.

I have been to plenty of other shopping centres further away and not a single post card in sight (eg Novena, Thompson Plaza, Bishan)

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed, 15 Dec 2004
Location: Kuala Lumpur!

Postby dazzlebabe » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 9:04 am

Anyone tried Chinatown?
Just me

DazzleBabe

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon, 19 Oct 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby scarbowl » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:08 am

Changi?

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007

Postby road.not.taken » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:18 am

I think a good rule of thumb would be that you'd probably find touristy postcards in touristy areas... Orchard, Changi, Chinatown, sure. Bishan? Probably not so much.

sisamone
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu, 22 Oct 2009

Postby sisamone » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 2:48 pm

You can get them at Chinatown market, Bugis market, Arab area in front of mosque, nice ones at Philaletic museums - as well as collection stamps.
Cheapest ones are in Chinatown.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue, 12 Jun 2007

Postby cbavasi » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:23 pm

i recently had to send postcards from singapore for some school projects back in the US... check the money changers around town - they usually have them.

User avatar
ozchick
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri, 21 Sep 2007
Location: Germany

Re: Where can I get some touristy postcards of Singapore?

Postby ozchick » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 9:35 am

Splatted wrote:
intellectualsmuse wrote:Went to the mall, to the post office... and I did not find any postcards with pictures of Singapore monuments or other such touristy stuff. Where can I get some?


I had the same issue.

It seems like they only sell them around Orchard area from what I've gathered.

I have been to plenty of other shopping centres further away and not a single post card in sight (eg Novena, Thompson Plaza, Bishan)


Yeah...good point. Never really noticed it but since you mention it...
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

User avatar
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 20 Dec 2009

Postby intellectualsmuse » Sat, 08 May 2010 5:18 pm

Found some at Changi Airport- $1 a piece but not happy with the quality-very tacky looking postcards :(
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Postby Splatted » Sat, 08 May 2010 9:51 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote:Found some at Changi Airport- $1 a piece but not happy with the quality-very tacky looking postcards :(


That's very over priced for what you got, but not unexpected from an airport.

Orchard Road has them for 50c a card, last time I looked.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sun, 09 May 2010 9:26 pm

You can also make your own! ICA have nice old pics of Singapore past, though don't get caught taking snaps.

50 to 80 Cents is the going price down in China Town walking street for tourists crikey SMS whats the name of that street is it Pagoda st.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Postby Splatted » Mon, 10 May 2010 1:55 pm

Splatted wrote:
intellectualsmuse wrote:Found some at Changi Airport- $1 a piece but not happy with the quality-very tacky looking postcards :(


That's very over priced for what you got, but not unexpected from an airport.

Orchard Road has them for 50c a card, last time I looked.


Oh, and the place I went to along Orchard (in case anyone does want to go for a wander)..... It was a shopping center directly across the road from the neon lighted Wisma.

You take some stairs down leading to basement floor where there are heaps of tiny boutique shops/stalls selling all sorts of stuff.

All the cards looked new when I went last.. no fading, no curling of corners in humidity, no yellowing.

I'm sure there are plenty of other places as well, though.

User avatar
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 20 Dec 2009

Postby intellectualsmuse » Sun, 23 May 2010 11:54 am

Well, found some decent ones at The Centrepoint Mall. At the Evergreen stationary store at a Retail price of 60c and the SAME postcards selling for SGD1 at the 7 11 in the same building!
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests