Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore appliances - shipping to Europe

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Singapore appliances - shipping to Europe

Postby ozchick » Sat, 10 Apr 2010 11:50 am

I read something on a thread here recently and now can't find it. Sorry all but will my Sg TV DVD player etc be fine in Europe if I have the right adaptor /converter for the powerpoints there?
And someone was asking about shipping to Europe. The best value and most professional that Ive found so far with my 3 quotes (but a 4th one to come yet) is with Collins Movers. It's certainly worth checking several companies. The differences are huge.
But I get the impression from colleagues who've done this before that one must insist on a 'detailed' list of exactly what is going. Apparently it's normal to cop an added bill on packing day because the company underestimated the space. I'm not wanting to go down that path and am having to go to some pains to get the items listed 'in writing' with assurance that no extra charges will be incurred.
I understand that most SG companies have no 'same company partner' at the other end and that this is where extra costs can suddenly appear. Anyone experienced this and how to get around that?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:39 am

Make sure that your contract specifically states that the cost is to the final destination. That way it is the Movers problem, not yours. See what the more expensive quotes contain and try to understand if these are applicable / not applicable in the cheaper quotes. If not - they are a potential source of extra cost.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 9:50 pm

carteki wrote:Make sure that your contract specifically states that the cost is to the final destination. That way it is the Movers problem, not yours. See what the more expensive quotes contain and try to understand if these are applicable / not applicable in the cheaper quotes. If not - they are a potential source of extra cost.

You'd make a good secretary C! Interested?! :P
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'